PDA

View Full Version : Monster Sound Show with Mr. Lincoln!

KarenW2
07-14-2001, 11:32 PM
Got to see a "soft" opening of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln today, and I have to say I was very disappointed with this new version. :( I've seen all the versions of the show and it was one of my all-time favorite things to do at Disneyland, even with the depressing "Two Brothers" song added years ago. With the new headphones added, it's like they're giving us a combination of the MGM Monster Sound Show (haircut, buzzing insects, whispering in your ear, etc.) with Mr. Lincoln. I also miss the original voice of Lincoln, Royal Dano! This new voice is totally different. :( The set is totally different too, but at least they included the "flag effect" at the end. Very P.C. to add Douglas happening to drop in to talk to Lincoln about the "black" soldiers. I also miss hearing the Battle Hymn of the Republic & wonder why they put in a different hymn, Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow (if I'm remembering correctly).

As others get to see the show this week, what did you think of the show? Had you seen it before, or was it your first time? For me, I feel the changes are so hokey, they trivialize the experience for me. :(

JRob2k1
07-15-2001, 01:30 PM
All the other reviews Ive read said they kept the Battle Hymm of the Republic???

Of course I havent seen it, so what do I know??

-JRob

Napsto
07-15-2001, 05:55 PM
i will get to check it out tuesday.

cstephens
07-16-2001, 09:10 AM
I saw the new show yesterday, and I have to say that I was very disappointed. They did a lot of what I refer to as "parlor tricks" - yes, they're stereo headphones, and isn't it neat that we can move sound from one side to another to make is sound like someone is walking back and forth, and make it sound like someone is whispering in your ear. I really felt like I was in HISTA, and I don't particularly enjoy that sort of thing.

We got there too late to see the new Walt Disney film, so we'll have to go back and see that. The preview film was ok, but I really didn't like the new Lincoln presentation. It seemed like they were trying to get people into the story more by having them take the place of Private Cunningham, but I think it totally took away from the wide scope of the problem. It wasn't just about individual soldiers getting hurt or killed in the war, it was about the massive nature of the war, completely dividing the country. I don't think you get any of that at all.

The Gettysburg speech is also not as affecting for me as the previous speech, especially with "Golden Dreams" at the end. And I know a lot of people didn't like the "Two Brothers" segment, but I happened to have really liked it a lot and thought it did a lot to tell the story.

Mr. Lincoln was always something I liked seeing from time to time. I'm not sure how often I'll be visiting now.