PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly Cool Promotional Gimmick!

danyoung
06-03-2009, 07:29 AM
http://www.dfusionathomeapps.com/summernightastic/

This is a promotion for Disneyland's summer activities. You must have a camera to use this. Although it sounds strange, do exactly what they say - print out the page they want you to print (it can be in black & white or color), load the program and then hold the page up to your camera. The results are simply the coolest thing I've seen in a long time!

Andrew
06-03-2009, 08:27 AM
The title of that page is interesting.

Their custom plug-in crashes Safari/Mac every time and doesn't appear to load in Opera/Mac. The Flash version loads and activates the built-in iSight camera but doesn't appear to do anything when I hold up the image.

Malcon10t
06-03-2009, 10:36 AM
I had the same issue as Andrew on the Flash version. After spending 5 minutes installing the plug in (using Firefox), waiting for stuff to load, etc... I held the pic up in front of the camera for the marker (which is iSight so it is directly in front of my screen) and the "show" began. Now, the issue for me? You have to keep the marker there, adn for those of us with the iSight cameras, it means you can't SEE the screen with the marker there, so you are looking around the side to see the screen. It is probably pretty cool if you could see it, but I saw more of me than the show. Wasn't that impressed.

danyoung
06-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Well, if it was working correctly you would see some pretty amazing tracking technology. The actual animation itself is just ok, but the tech behind making it work is very cool (at least for a geek like me!).

KarenW2
06-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Since my hubby is a professional computer guy, I had to wait for him to come home tonite, to try it out on his new laptop, that has a webcam with it. He had some installation problems too (it's not a MAC, it's a PC), kept trying different things to get it to load, but eventually, whatever he did worked correctly.

The "show" was AMAZING, but the thing we didn't like about it, as others have said, was the fact that he had to keep the page up there, in front of his face, having to peer around the side of the thing, to see what was happening. He was pretty impressed, but thinks there must be a better way for it to run, so he could see it as well.

I guess we could've spent the night, trying to find things to hang the paper on, to have it at just the right height and place for the cam to see it, but he had better things to do with his time tonite.

Thanks for sharing the info on this and please keep us posted, if anybody comes up with the answer to the "operator viewer" conundrum.

danyoung
06-04-2009, 07:28 AM
If you have a camera that is not built in to your laptop, you can point it out to the side and get a good view that way. I had to do the peeking around thing too, but I still thought it was pretty cool!

Donald Duck Fan68
06-05-2009, 10:33 AM
I had the same issue as Andrew on the Flash version. After spending 5 minutes installing the plug in (using Firefox), waiting for stuff to load, etc... I held the pic up in front of the camera for the marker (which is iSight so it is directly in front of my screen) and the "show" began. Now, the issue for me? You have to keep the marker there, adn for those of us with the iSight cameras, it means you can't SEE the screen with the marker there, so you are looking around the side to see the screen. It is probably pretty cool if you could see it, but I saw more of me than the show. Wasn't that impressed.

How did you activate the iSight camera within Firefox. I can't figure out where to do it.

danyoung
06-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Make sure you allow the plugin to download, and then run the plugin manually. It should start up just fine then.

mkraemer
06-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Dan,

What browser and operating system are you using?

danyoung
06-06-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm on Internet Explorer 8, with Windows XP. I have a co-worker who gave me the Firefox info - I haven't tried it myself.

Christiii
06-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I dont have any kind of a camera...so what does it do??

danyoung
06-09-2009, 04:15 PM
The program will replace the piece of paper you're holding with an animation of the dragon in front of the castle, blowing flames, etc. It's really very cool!

Donald Duck Fan68
06-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Okay, it worked this time. Pretty cool. I couldn't figure out how to launch the fireworks, and then I realized that you had to summon Tinkerbell first.

danyoung
06-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Really? I hadn't tried that - I just assumed the fireworks weren't working. I'll have to give it a try!