PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchairs

kwdancer26
05-26-2009, 04:22 PM
My family and I are heading to Disney with a friend on Thursday. A couple of weeks ago she severely sprained her ankle and just got her cast off today. However, she still has to wear a brace. In addition, her foot is still completely black and blue. I am wondering how flexible Cast Members are with wheelchair situations and ride lines? She will be able to walk for a few hours but I predict we will need to pick up a wheelchair by the afternoon.

Thanks!

DisneyDaisie
05-26-2009, 04:50 PM
I've never seen a CM be anything less than accomodating to guests in wheelchairs or scooters. If she can't stand for long periods of time, make sure you get Fast Passes for rides that normally have long lines. If she needs to stay in the chair while on line I would ask the CM at the entrance how to handle it. Good luck and have a great trip!

shna
05-26-2009, 04:54 PM
When we were there in March, my MIL decided to get a wheelchair partway through our first day. The CMs were wonderful! In many places, they pointed out where the wheelchair entrance to a ride was before any of us even had a chance to ask.

wishiwasthere
05-27-2009, 10:36 AM
The odds of her being able to walk for even a half of a day are pushing it. Tell her to take it easy and get the wheelchair first thing. The price is the same in the morning and the afternoon so it's not like you are saving money. Not sure if you are getting a regular wheelchair or an ECV, but if it is a regular wheelchair and she wants to walk let the kids sit in it for a little while she is walking.

disnut8
05-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I've toured twice with people in wheelchairs (only needed for the trip and for fluky reasons). The Cast Members are pretty quick to recognize wheelchair guests but realize that you don't get very much "special" treatment. If the queue is wheelchair accessible, the entire party will go through the regular line (stand by or FastPass). There are a few attractions where the wheelchair will be taken in a different way and some or all of the other party members will be able to join the person in the wheelchair. With my husband and father, we were two and four people so no big deal there. Also realize that the wheelchair seating in theatres is not the the best. Often, it's either right up front which distorts your view or all the way in the back.

To the other people in the party, make sure you realize just where the person in the wheelchair is looking. Remember they are at your waist level so there will be things you can see that they can't. And remember that other people more that likely will not be looking down and realizing there is a wheelchair near them. Everyone in the party needs to have patience during the entire trip. You will need to slow down a bit.

utkgrad101
05-27-2009, 02:44 PM
We are currently at WDW. I have noticed that people in wheel chairs and ECVs actually do get to get ahead of the line and all the people in their party as well. This has happened at the majority of everything we have ridden. Even the buses - if we have been waiting in line for 1/2 hour for a bus that was late and it shows up at right at the last minute someone in a wheel chair comes up they go ahead of us - even though they haven't waited at all.

I just see them as getting a lot of special treatment actually.

Malcon10t
05-27-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm sorry you feel like that. I don't know about WDW, but I know it seems like the HA access has faster access at Disneyland to those who don't have to use it. I also know it isn't true. As far as buses, they usually have a limited number of spaces available for WC/ECVs, and the next bus may not have space available, so I think the people should be able to use it.

Drince88
05-27-2009, 07:28 PM
I believe all of the buses at WDW have space for 1 or 2 ECVs or wheelchairs.

Yes, if someone in a wheelchair comes up to the bus stop 'at the last minute' before a bus arrives, they will be loaded first, because they can NOT be loaded after other people have crowded into the bus. Whenever I feel my blood pressure raise a smidgen when that happens, I just remind myself "There, but for the grace of god, go I".

It is especially irritating when the group fills up the back half of the bus, and there MAY be an official number that are supposed to be loaded with the person in the wheelchair/ECV, but I don't think I've ever seen that enforced by the driver (I've seen some groups 'enforce' it themselves). But if it was your larger group, would you really want to be potentially split between multiple buses?

The CMs know how to deal with the added complications that limited mobility can create (like needing a little extra time to load onto a Doom Buggy), and so I figure even if they do get to "cut a little", it makes the whole attraction operate more efficiently, so it's a good thing.

Cheshire Figment
05-29-2009, 05:02 PM
As a general rule the great majority of attractions at WDW are "mainstreamed" so that a person in a wheelchair or ECV will go through the regular queue until they reach the seating or boarding area. Some rides they do not even have to get out of the wheelchair.

Where the queue is not mainstreamed, either the person in a chair or ECV will be pulled out partway or initially pointed to an alternate entrance. This is most common when there are stairs involved.

And as mentioned by a prior poster, the bus drivers are required by Disney policy, for safety reasons, to load people in wheelchairs first before allowing other Guests to board a bus. But there is only space for two wheelchairs or ECVs on each bus. I know of people who have to wait for three or four buses because there were many people with wheelchairs who needed loading in front of them.

And I have had times and shows and some attractions where I know that in my ECV I have had to wait longer than the typical Guest due to capacities.

utkgrad101
05-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Never once this last week did we see a wheelchair go through a regular line. I guess what really really irritated me about it was not that they where in wheelchair or even going to the different line, but all the people trailing behind them that was in their party that was not handicap and got on the ride before everyone else. That is not fair.

Malcon10t
05-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Never once this last week did we see a wheelchair go through a regular line. I guess what really really irritated me about it was not that they where in wheelchair or even going to the different line, but all the people trailing behind them that was in their party that was not handicap and got on the ride before everyone else. That is not fair.Try to imagine you, your spouse and your 3 or 4 kids going to Disneyland/World. Your spouse is in a chair. Now, would you want to go as a family or would you prefer you and 3 of your kids go in one line while your spouse and one child go in the HA line?

Now, it is my understanding most of WDW is fully accessible. There would be few lines where there is a second line to even use.

Now, in DIsneyland, we generally have a service dog with us. Due to this, we have to use the HA lines where available. (DCA is fully accessible.) There are some lines that are shorter, most are just as long, a few are much longer. Add to that, it takes us longer to do anything in the park because of our issues. I'm sorry you don't like that we get to go as a family. I'm sorry you think this is unfair. But, regardless, life isn't fair, never has been, never will be. And as a friend likes to say, if you want fair, go to Pomona.

cstephens
05-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Never once this last week did we see a wheelchair go through a regular line. I guess what really really irritated me about it was not that they where in wheelchair or even going to the different line, but all the people trailing behind them that was in their party that was not handicap and got on the ride before everyone else. That is not fair.

Maybe some day, you'll be lucky and be in the position of having a close family member who needs to be in a wheelchair, so you can get on a ride before anyone else too. I'm sure the person in the wheelchair will think that's a perfectly fair tradeoff.

adriennek
05-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Never once this last week did we see a wheelchair go through a regular line.

I had to push my husband in a wheelchair at Disneyland once. Once. I have friends who have used wheelchairs and/or ECVs at Disneyland when I've visited with them.

I'd much rather have everyone be ambulatory. Pushing wheelchairs is a lot of work - especially long distances. And it tends to take longer just to get from point A to point B.

Life's not fair.

Adrienne

bluefalcon
07-14-2009, 03:39 PM

This month my son will make his fifth trip to Disney - his first since he was paralyzed in a car accident. I think it is cold of anyone to suggest that he or any other wheelchair bound guest be separated from their party to go on a ride. I assure you that we all fervently wish we could be standing in line. I would gladly wait for hours and hours if it meant my son still had the ability to stand or walk. You should count your blessings instead of condeming those who are trying to enjoy a family vacation with a family member who has a disability.

Malcon10t
07-15-2009, 08:26 AM
This month my son will make his fifth trip to Disney - his first since he was paralyzed in a car accident. I think it is cold of anyone to suggest that he or any other wheelchair bound guest be separated from their party to go on a ride. I assure you that we all fervently wish we could be standing in line. I would gladly wait for hours and hours if it meant my son still had the ability to stand or walk. You should count your blessings instead of condeming those who are trying to enjoy a family vacation with a family member who has a disability.The real problem is many people have NO CLUE what it is like to deal with using a chair in the park. The honestly only think "Its a front of the line pass." They have no clue that it often takes you much longer to navigate areas, you often need to leave earlier and have shorter time in the park, they don't deal with the inconsiderate people who think you left that foot of space there so they can cut you off and get to ride x faster, that the HA lines are there because it takes longer/special seating to load. There may be 15 rockets going in SPace Mountain every 2 mins, but there is only 1 rocket for HA groupings, and it runs every 5-10 mins. So, yes, we get a shorter line with a much longer wait.

My daughter had to use a chair ONCE in Disneyland. She had a spiral fracture in her foot. She lasted less than 4 hours. She could not stand how people cut us off, stepped OVER her, ran into her, stopped right in front of her, etc.... She ended up walking on it against Dr. orders.

BUT, there are people who do understand. And they are the ones who matter. Don't worry about the ones who are only worried about how fast they can get on a ride. I just hope they never have to go through what your family has gone through.

DVCmom
07-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Tomorrow we are leaving on what SHOULD have been my mother's 62nd birthday and 1st trip to WDW. Ten years ago she had 6 brain aneurysms. One burst before it was found. She had a total of 5 surgeries over three years. She had to learn to walk, talk, eat, and reason. We have been through MANY challenges over the last 10 years. It would have been the 1st vacation after her accident and the only one with all the siblings since (1st Disney vacation for all except me). My younger brother was in high school and sister at the university when it happened. I had to be a guardian to my brother, mom, teach, and take care of my family while helping my sister miles away. We made it. My brother graduated at UA and is employed by TU now. My sister graduated at SA as an OT and has worked about 6 years and is not in grad school at UAB to be a PA. My mom recovered as much as could be, lived with me awhile, and is now home and in daycare 5 days a week. She WOULD have been in a wheelchair for this vacation had her health allowed her to travel. She was a single mom (not by choice) for most of my childhood working two jobs and has worn a Mickey watch every day of her life as far back as I can remember. Had she been able to travel we would have been a group of 6. NO WAY would Disney or any other visitor want the responsibillity of being with her through the FEW rides she MIGHT have tried. BOTTOM LINE - Be blessed you and your entire party can be in the regular line and don't judge the lucky ones who can make it there in a wheelchair. You never want to be in their shoes no matter what! END OF SOAPBOX

Toocherie
07-15-2009, 08:50 PM
The real problem is many people have NO CLUE what it is like to deal with using a chair in the park. The honestly only think "Its a front of the line pass."
My daughter had to use a chair ONCE in Disneyland. She had a spiral fracture in her foot. She lasted less than 4 hours. She could not stand how people cut us off, stepped OVER her, ran into her, stopped right in front of her, etc.... She ended up walking on it against Dr. orders.

BUT, there are people who do understand. And they are the ones who matter. Don't worry about the ones who are only worried about how fast they can get on a ride. I just hope they never have to go through what your family has gone through.

Angela--do you ever get the feeling that people purposely walk in front of the wheelchair/scooter? maybe because they are resentful thinking that mobility aid users get some type of perk? I know I have gotten that feeling sometimes--especially when they look you in the eye as they dart in front of you. I know that I am mentally exhausted using a scooter on a busy park day trying to keep from hitting people who have no sense and/or are purposely walking in front of me.

Malcon10t
07-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Angela--do you ever get the feeling that people purposely walk in front of the wheelchair/scooter? maybe because they are resentful thinking that mobility aid users get some type of perk? I honestly don't think I have ever felt like that, but I am a glass half full type of person. I just think there are a lot of people who turn off the brain when they get to the park, and all that is on their mind is getting to the line for the ride as fast as possible and heaven help anyone (chair user, stroller, dog, child) who gets between them and the line.

A bigger complaint for me is the groups that will stand on a curb cut, and even after you ask politely, they fail to move til they finish their conversation. Its not like we can go off the curb... One of these days I am going to join in their conversation.

MammaSilva
07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
LOL Mal, you need Missy, she starts saying Excuse me in a normal tone of voice, if they don't respond she just keeps getting louder and louder...soon there is this adorable 4'10 person in a wheelchair all but YELLING, excuse me ...they eventually move.