PDA

View Full Version : 70's era Disneyland area motels

Wiggler
05-22-2009, 06:05 AM
I am feeling nostalgic, and missing the old motels that surrounded Disneyland from my youth. I remember that there was a website that had photos from the old motels in the area. Does anyone out there have the website that had those? I know it exisits- but I forgot the address.
Thanks!!

daveywest
05-22-2009, 07:41 AM
I remember staying in on of those as a child. My mom refused to sleep the whole night because of the roaches, and we had to change hotels the next day. Dad never got to plan a "cheap" vacation again.

Malcon10t
05-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Actually, some were very nice for the time period. I remember the Magic Lamp and the Magic Carpet, which are now the Anabella. The Jolly Roger was there when *I* was a child...

JennyHart
05-22-2009, 08:41 AM
The "Synthetrix Photos Of The Forgotten" blog at http://synthetrix.blogspot.com/ has some early Disney motel info, including a slideshow of Anaheim motel postcards. Search that page using "Disney." If you want to stay at a place that might call to mind the 1970s, Disney's Pop Century Resort in Orlando seems to try to capture the 1950s, '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s eras.

Wiggler
05-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the link! We often stayed at the Magic Lamp! I loved their playground and pool. I liked watching the park close down for the night, and would say "good night Mickey".

Sansarc
05-22-2009, 01:11 PM
www.yesterland.com has pictures, too, although I'm not sure if the "outside" motels are listed, except maybe in post card form.

darph nader
05-22-2009, 05:20 PM
OH WOW. Seeing these 'old' pictures brought back some memories.Mainly the pic of the Helsings restraunt in Phoenix. We had one here in Tucson.I remember driving down Speedway to Stone,when I pulled up to the light,I thought to myself,'somethings' missing.:confused:
Sure as all heck the building was 'gone'.:crying:(it's still a parking lot):(

woody9six
05-22-2009, 06:28 PM
The "Synthetrix Photos Of The Forgotten" blog at http://synthetrix.blogspot.com/ has some early Disney motel info, including a slideshow of Anaheim motel postcards. Search that page using "Disney." If you want to stay at a place that might call to mind the 1970s, Disney's Pop Century Resort in Orlando seems to try to capture the 1950s, '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s eras.

Wow...the link to the Anaheim Vacationland (http://anaheimvacationland.com/) was pretty interesting.

Malcon10t
05-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Wow...the link to the Anaheim Vacationland (http://anaheimvacationland.com/) was pretty interesting.I loved the shot from Zaby's down Harbor. For a split second I was confused... I am old.

AlbertaMinnie
05-24-2009, 06:41 AM
Years ago, I stayed at the Alpine on Katella with my parents both times my parents took us to Disneyland. I used to love being able to swim in the pool and still enjoy the fireworks. Then, my dh and I stayed there on our honeymoon. Gee, I could still stay there now if I really wanted too.....

Malcon10t
05-24-2009, 06:55 AM
The Alpine is still a nice, clean, basic motel. The family that runs it is very nice.

AlbertaMinnie
05-24-2009, 10:34 AM
The Alpine is still a nice, clean, basic motel. The family that runs it is very nice.

I always remember them as being very nice - it's been the same family all along hasn't it? Is there still that restaurant at the entrance to the motel? Back in the day, they had the absolute best corned beef hash on the breakfast menu! We already have all our reservations made for August but maybe a walk to the Alpine for memory sakes would be fun! I wouldn't mind staying there again....but for some reason, the older I get....the further away from the park it seems to get....Park Vue and Dessert and Carousel have spoiled me...

darph nader
05-24-2009, 08:04 PM
I always remember them as being very nice - it's been the same family all along hasn't it? Is there still that restaurant at the entrance to the motel? Back in the day, they had the absolute best corned beef hash on the breakfast menu! We already have all our reservations made for August but maybe a walk to the Alpine for memory sakes would be fun! I wouldn't mind staying there again....but for some reason, the older I get....the further away from the park it seems to get....Park Vue and Dessert and Carousel have spoiled me...

No,sad to say,there is no restaurant there any longer. Across the street maybe.:confused:

Toocherie
05-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Actually, some were very nice for the time period. I remember the Magic Lamp and the Magic Carpet, which are now the Anabella. The Jolly Roger was there when *I* was a child...

LOL--a friend and I were driving by the Jolly Roger the other day and I was reminiscing about when my Job's Daughter bethel went to the state convention at the Anaheim convention center and we had dinner at the Jolly Roger--at the time it felt very "upscale"--

and we stayed that trip at the Alpine!

Malcon10t
05-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Some of those shots are fun to look back at. Like the shot from Zaby's down Harbor, you can see the "Candy Cane Motel". And the one from the other direction, where you can see the signage for Tropicana, then the Best Western Mecca (which became the Park Place) then the Park Vue.

tunaman68
05-25-2009, 08:29 PM
My wife worked at the Stoval's Inn of Tomorrow in the 80's, and I remember coming there in the late 70's.

The topiary trees and the kitschy decor were amazing, but what I remember most was the video game in the lobby! I must have put 6 months of allowances in there during our stay.

http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=gun-fight-upright-model&page=detail&id=1040

TowerofTerror
05-25-2009, 10:03 PM
wow disneyland 70`s area hotels were very kool looking:p

ghoofie
05-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Honeymooned at the Cosmic Age, which is now part of DCA parking lot, next door to the Candy Cane Inn. There were actually two Stovall's Best Western motels at the same property, the Cosmic Age and the Galaxy.