PDA

View Full Version : Aladdin shows cancelled 1/2/03

Darkbeer
01-03-2003, 06:25 AM
The last two shows of Aladdin were cancelled last night.

Can anybody inform us why this happened?

ldsguy
01-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Well, I am going to take a stab in the dark, but I really don't know, as I wasn't there, but this is my educated guess:
Too many performers calling in sick, the last two days that I went to the resort and saw Aladdin, they had understudies all day, the first time was for Jasmine, the second time was for the Genie and by understudies, I mean the ones that play the roles if the people for any guiven role from Cast A and B are out at the same time.

Either that or some technical problems, which they were having on NYE as well.....Well, those would be my guesses, but like I said, I really don't know, I will see what I can do to find out for sure.

zapppop
01-03-2003, 10:54 AM
It's possible; I remember when Blast was still performing in the Hyperion, there were certain days when they didn't perform LemonTech because there weren't enough dancers.
Although for Aladdin, I know they've been having technical difficulties w/ the show so that would be my guess as to why it was cancelled.

ldsguy
01-03-2003, 11:27 AM
It was rare for them to cancel Lemontech, I remember when the Battery Battle didn't run though as well as the Drum Line, that actually lasted for about a month before being fixed.

But Aladdin is just about as demanding on some of it's performers, not all of them, but particularly Aladdin and Jasmine, so if both th A and B cast Jamine gets sick and/or injured and then the understudy aslo can't perform, what do you do? Replace Jasmine with any of the lead parts.....Iago/Jafar/Aladdin/Carpet the last two are indeed the most demanding in the show, but you get the point.

But I would agree with the guess that it's actually technical problems, but we don't know, if I do go tommorow, I will ask what happened.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Hmm. I never once attended a performance of Blast in which Lemon Techno (the actual title, from the DVD) was omitted (though there were many times when I wish it had been. I regard it as the weakest of all the numbers they included in the DCA version, much weaker than some that didn't make it into that version.

But back to Aladdin: it's still a very young show, especially for something so complicated, and we should be thankful it doesn't have more breakdowns than LightMagic did.

RStar
01-03-2003, 01:13 PM
I just hope they have things running well for my AP reservations on the 12th.

Any one else got the 12th reservations?

ldsguy
01-03-2003, 03:20 PM
I am going on Tues, but I may go one other day, they let you make as many reservations as needed, luckily, as I found out I wouldn't be able to make it on the day I originally scheduled.

RStar
01-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Really? I thought you could only make one reservation......

I wonder if they are all full now?

AVP
01-03-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Hmm. I never once attended a performance of Blast in which Lemon Techno (the actual title, from the DVD) was omitted (though there were many times when I wish it had been. I regard it as the weakest of all the numbers they included in the DCA version, much weaker than some that didn't make it into that version.

Isn't it nice that they brought it back as the finale for Aladdin? :D

AVP
(ducking and running)

ldsguy
01-03-2003, 05:41 PM
I dunno if they are or not, but you could make multiple, nothing ever said that you couldn't.

TerryTiger
01-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by AVP
Isn't it nice that they brought it back as the finale for Aladdin? :D

AVP
(ducking and running)

Thank you AVP, for my first guffaw of the day! It also reminds me of Fantasmic without the Mark Twain (when they did the same thing on the ROA stage)...

ldsguy
01-05-2003, 06:13 PM
I personally liked Lemontech....ok, well, it depended on who was performing it....but also, while there may have been other stronger numbers, we need to remember that the people playing the instruments needed some rest during the show, also it's the best transition piece they had for the other numbers that were selected, I think it was done very well, of course Disney didn't select the numbers to be played, that was the Blast! company that did that.

Ok, well, back to Aladdin.......Does anyone else think that they took a lot of ideas and/or learned a lot from Blast!?
I mean, the performers going through the audience, the posting thier real names, the fact that if you are really nice to the leads and ask they will go back and see if the performers will come out to sign autographs/take pictures, the flags in the finale.

Of course the other way to look at it is that they are trying to appease the people that loved Blast! Either way, I think all that they've done with the new show is really good, just a lot different than past policies and such.