PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean Ride Malfunction

demichae
05-17-2009, 07:29 AM
We were at the park earlier this week. While riding my favorite ride, the music and effects turned off and the emergency lighting came on. The boat ride continued, however, and I filmed the whole thing. You definitely get a unique view of the ride. You can see it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z5f3H4FM8Q).

houseofmouse
05-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Interesting. I wonder why they did not stop the ride? Did you at least get passes to come back and ride later?

Andrew
05-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Nice video! I do wish the ride soundtrack hadn't been overlaid, especially since you said the music had cut out on the ride.

testrack
05-17-2009, 11:38 AM
We were there on Monday. While everything was ok with the ride until we got to the jail house and the fire scenes. It was pitch black. It was definately a weird feeling hearing the pirates whistle for the dog but you could not see anything. We did notice that the ride was closed upon our boat coming up the lift.
Upon exiting the boat and just after you make the right hand turn to enter back into D land we heard a loud single pop noise. Not sure what it was but it was loud.

DaDuckFan1955
05-17-2009, 02:42 PM
We were there on Monday. While everything was ok with the ride until we got to the jail house and the fire scenes. It was pitch black. It was definately a weird feeling hearing the pirates whistle for the dog but you could not see anything. We did notice that the ride was closed upon our boat coming up the lift.
Upon exiting the boat and just after you make the right hand turn to enter back into D land we heard a loud single pop noise. Not sure what it was but it was loud.

YEAH! We were there also probably right before you went through. Because after exiting they closed the ride down shortly afterwards for a while but it was up and running a little while later.

Sure was weird, we noticed the ride was dark completely pitch black dark before the jailhouse scene, the Burning town and 3 singing pirates and dog on the left and the drunken pirate and 2 cats on the right were dark also. Everything was normal until we curved around the Bride Auction it was lite with the special effects lighting and the figures were moving.

newhdplayer
05-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Did you get the "missing boat names"?

explodingboy
05-17-2009, 03:24 PM
i like it when the work lights come on on that ride. you get to see everything its pretty nifty.

BunnyCups
05-17-2009, 07:03 PM
WOW! What a truly strange experience. Thank you for sharing. For some reason it's really creepy! Maybe because they are not moving, and everything is dark o.O

TimBuk2
05-17-2009, 08:12 PM
I was on Pirates May 4th and it stopped for 15-20 minutes when we were at the jail cells near the end. 2 boats in front of us, and one at the top of the hill. And of course a ton of boats behind us.

Music and animatronics were still going, with only 1 quick announcement. Started going again, but never found out what happened.

Cool video!

IllusionOfLife
05-17-2009, 08:49 PM
WOW! What a truly strange experience. Thank you for sharing. For some reason it's really creepy! Maybe because they are not moving, and everything is dark o.O

I agree, very creepy, actually I decided to cut out the audio on the video and play some music from BioShock, very creepy indeed :p.

On another note though, I'm surprised that Disney just let the ride run through even though there was clearly a problem, you'd think they would have just stopped the lift and brought people off the ride rather than let everyone riding get a backstage tour of the attraction, you did pass probably around 10 exits in the ride. Normally I get mad at people for saying this but this situation calls for it… very un-Disney like.

leota's necklace
05-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Just guessing here, but I imagine that sort of evac would be reserved for when the ride systems break down to the point that it can't take the guests out. Personally removing everyone from the ride, out of the boats away from the dock, seems to be too dangerous to risk just to preserve Show, and Safety comes before Show.

AZImmortal
05-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Interesting. I wonder why they did not stop the ride?

You can't exactly stop a log flume ride in its tracks because there are no tracks. The boats in Pirates only stop before a drop and before the final ascent (and of course at the loading docks). All other movement is "controlled" by the flow of the water.

Bytebear
05-19-2009, 07:07 PM
You can't exactly stop a log flume ride in its tracks because there are no tracks. The boats in Pirates only stop before a drop and before the final ascent (and of course at the loading docks). All other movement is "controlled" by the flow of the water.

Well, the flume is powered by water jets which do turn off when the ride breaks down, so, althrough they still float, they will stop moving forward once their momentum is used up.

daveywest
05-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Can't speak for pirates, but I can speak for being evac'd from scream'n: I don't think they like the idea of removing folks unless it is an absolute necessity. I just wish I was in the train at the top of the big hill on scream'n when the cascade stop happened. :(

HorizonsA
05-20-2009, 09:00 AM
What day was that? We were at the park on the 17th and while we were on Star Tours, about halfway through the ride, everything shut down. We sat in the Starspeeder for about 10-15 minutes before they could get us out. Then we were told that Disneyland has experienced a seismic event. In the event of an earthquake, the Star Tours vehicles automatically shut down. And when we exited Star Tours, all attractions were shut down. This happened about 9pm.