PDA

View Full Version : Ashes Scattered at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

wabby1
05-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Has anyone heard of people's desires to have their ashes scattered at Disneyland? From what I've read, there are people who have done it. They sneak the departed's ashes in and scatter them in various areas....The Haunted Mansion being the most popular. I've also read that the janitorial staff has a code for cleanup of this occurance, called a "HEPA Code." I read one account in which a lady scattered ashes on Pirates claiming later to security that it was baby powder.

Interesting...

adriennek
05-15-2009, 09:09 AM
If you do search "ashes" on MousePad and limit it to the Disneyland forums, you'll see several conversations about this topic.

Adrienne

jenpace
05-15-2009, 03:19 PM
We were just at the park on Monday and I was really surprised to actually see someone blatantly scattering ashes while on the train. If they had thought it out better and sat in the very last row of the last car I wouldn't have been upset at all but the ashes were blowing back up on to the passengers behind them including my family :eek:

Jennifer

disney_leonard
05-15-2009, 03:26 PM
We were just at the park on Monday and I was really surprised to actually see someone blatantly scattering ashes while on the train. If they had thought it out better and sat in the very last row of the last car I wouldn't have been upset at all but the ashes were blowing back up on to the passengers behind them including my family :eek:

Jennifer

Sounds like a segment of America's Funniest Videos. Only not funny for you and others who were getting covered in ashes.

I would consider having my ashes spread at DL. But I would want it to be done discretely and would have trouble picking one spot. Maybe, a little here, a little there, some over there, don't forget about...well, you get the idea. Some of the previous threads have explored all of the "eeck" factors, etc. I'm not saying I plan on my last wishes to do this. Just considering. I would have to send some to WDW as well. No time for this. I have to plan another visit to DL.

olegc
05-15-2009, 03:41 PM
I've also read that the janitorial staff has a code for cleanup of this occurance, called a "HEPA Code." ...

that's because human ashes are classified as a toxic substance that must be handled in a similar way as other Hazardous Materials. That's why rides get shut down for hours until everything is cleaned up.

Interesting..... until you figure out that everyone is so angry that their enjoyment has been shut down for an illegal activity...

TheCoachman
05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
its disrespectful to all the guests and ultimately to the deceased, as they will end up in a vacuum bag.

disney_leonard
05-15-2009, 04:13 PM
its disrespectful to all the guests and ultimately to the deceased, as they will end up in a vacuum bag.

I have to agree. If (big IF) I was to do something (and I'm NOT saying I would) I would only consider outdoor areas that: 1. will not be vacuumed up in the next 50 years; and, 2. Not anyplace where the ashes might land on people. Good grief- on the front part of the train while moving?

There is much debate about how hazardous human ashes are. They are cremated at about 1400-1600 degrees which is hotter than autoclaves used to sterilize medical instruments. That said, the government treats them as hazardous and so does Disney. Again, an "eeck" factor for many people. Even though considered hazardous, it is legal to mail ashes provided they are packaged properly. The approved clean up is a HEPA vacuum cleaner. So not exactly radioactive or a weapon of mass destruction.

disneyperson
05-15-2009, 04:30 PM

Jennifer
Ew,ew,ew.

K & S
05-15-2009, 08:35 PM
As much as I love Disneyland, I'm so glad Catholics aren't allowed to have their ashes scattered. Otherwise I could be tempted.

eek! :eek:

Sosai X
05-15-2009, 10:37 PM
What a potential money maker this could be! Imagine a program, for a price of like $5,000, where you could have your loved one's ashes sealed inside a fireworks shell, and then launched into the air over Disneyland or WDW, and explode into a colorful shower of light, and then drift down magically to rest in peace forever at the happiest place on earth!

Oh wait.. no.. people might not like being showered in human remains, no matter how magical it might be. Nevermind.

:( :D :fez: :p

zombie pirate
05-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Shouldnt they be arrested for something like that? Sorry about your loved ones but I dont want to get them on me or my family, or breath them in.

Mom2
05-16-2009, 01:28 AM
I love Disney as much as the rest of you, but I am truly shocked that anyone would do something like that! Okay, not really, nothing surprises me! Seriously though what are people thinkting???

MammaSilva
05-16-2009, 05:27 AM
I agree with everyone that the spreading of the ashes in the park is ewww...even as much as I love the place I wouldn't want my loved ones to do that for the same reasons I don't want to be on an attraction where someone else is doing it...but the fireworks thing...there IS a company that will put your ashes in fireworks shells and do a firework show over the ocean! We've looked into it and are actually considering doing that and having them play Disney music we love while they fire off the shells.

mkraemer
05-16-2009, 08:53 AM
MammaSilva, thanks for that info. I think that would be a great way to 'go'...with fireworks and a bang! Who could ask for anything better? :cool:

The things you learn on Mouseplanet...

militarymom
05-16-2009, 11:50 AM
I was told recently I have a terminal disease and jokingly I told my boys
I wanted to be scattered at Disneyland. But in reality I have asked for them
to order one of the bricks out front with my name etched on it. That way my
grandchildren can go "see" Grandma when they go to play at Disney.
(Now if there was a way to pry up the brick and put me under it!!!)

:rolleyes:

disney_leonard
05-16-2009, 12:01 PM

Now there could be a money maker for Disney...a special brick with a small capsule under it. A ceremony with Mickey and Minnie...done after hours or before park opening...then a day at DL.

ryanvalle
05-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Disneyland is not a cemetery. If you want a family member honored at the park, get an esplanade brick for $150 )or if he/she is of importance to thecompany, I am sure you can find the ways to get a window on main street :) hehe)

jenpace
05-16-2009, 01:04 PM

I'm so sorry about your news. I think that a brick in the esplanade sounds really nice...I would just make sure to check into how long the bricks are guaranteed to be left in place.

Jennifer

Leofoenget
05-16-2009, 01:38 PM
I have to agree. If (big IF) I was to do something (and I'm NOT saying I would) I would only consider outdoor areas that: 1. will not be vacuumed up in the next 50 years; and, 2. Not anyplace where the ashes might land on people. Good grief- on the front part of the train while moving?

There is much debate about how hazardous human ashes are. They are cremated at about 1400-1600 degrees which is hotter than autoclaves used to sterilize medical instruments. That said, the government treats them as hazardous and so does Disney. Again, an "eeck" factor for many people. Even though considered hazardous, it is legal to mail ashes provided they are packaged properly. The approved clean up is a HEPA vacuum cleaner. So not exactly radioactive or a weapon of mass destruction.

Me too. IF I were to ever do this, I would take like a tablespoon and mix it in with some dirt in some flowers or something. Anything more than that is wrong IMO.

DizneyMommy
05-16-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm so sorry about your news. I think that a brick in the esplanade sounds really nice...I would just make sure to check into how long the bricks are guaranteed to be left in place.

Jennifer

10 Years

olegc
05-16-2009, 04:54 PM
10 Years

of topic - but do you get to keep the brick after 10 years?

explodingboy
05-16-2009, 05:13 PM
i can see the reasoning for this. although i do think it is a pretty disrespectful. but people are gonna do what they do i guess.

darph nader
05-16-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm sure I'm wrong,but how can human ashes be classified as toxic? Don't they crank up the heat to abt 2500 degrees? (of course this is from a man who can't bar-b-que.):(
I'm going to have my family take a film cannister (to all you people with digital cameras,its a ancient way of taking pictures:eyeroll:) and sprinkle 'some' of my ashes in various flower-beds around DL.:rolleyes:

jenpace
05-16-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm sure I'm wrong,but how can human ashes be classified as toxic?

They're not technically toxic because of the extreme heat involved. I believe that cremated remains are considered a biohazard because of the nature of what they are/were...plus, when scattered in a thoughtless manner there is definitely the "ick" factor.

Jennifer

Merm8fan
05-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I am sure that human remains, in any form, can be technically considered a biohazard. However, I think it is the venue in question as a final resting place that is causing an 'ick' factor.

I can't tell you how many instances I know of where cremated remains have been scattered in nature - be it ocean, beach, forest, field, or what have you. And, nobody questioned it. My own grandparents were 'laid to rest' together across a hill overlooking their beloved Blue Anchor in Somerset... ashes to ashes, dust to dust. :)

Thinking of cremated remains being broadcast over a more public, developed, and frequently crowded area is a very different idea. On a ride, or anywhere else where humans would actually traffic, it certainly doesn't seem right.

However, I'm with darth nader on the flowerbeds thing. Historically, ashes were actually commonly used in fertilizing gardens (okay - wood ashes, but still, 'natural'!) back before we added so much junk to our fireplace logs. Mix me into a DL flowerbed or two or three... and I'll be much less 'icky' being returned to the soil there than I would be slowly decomposing in a typical coffin - talk about icky!