PDA

View Full Version : Walt's 100th

Pages : [1] 2

Progressland
04-26-2001, 09:21 PM
So is it just me, or does anyone else think that Disneyland should be doing *much* more for Walt's 100th birthday this year? We get some Sorcerer Mickey hats on the gas lamps and banners saying "Where the Magic Began" (that look tacky on Main Street...) and Florida gets an entirely new exhibit with Walt's offices. I wish more people at Disneyland (who are in a position to make a difference) cared about Walt's heritage.

Dlandmom
04-26-2001, 09:31 PM
I was pretty bummed when I heard that they were moving Walt's offices.:( I spent a lot of time standing in front of those windows trying to imagine what it was like back then with so many creative people in those offices!

I hope Disneyland does something special. I'm planning on being at the park for both the park's anniversary and Walt's birthday, are you?:)

Kevin Yee
04-26-2001, 10:21 PM
I agree. Much more could be done for Walt's heritage. I can see why they didn't: DCA is new now, and that works better as a promotional item than Walt's birthday. Still, it is a crying shame.

I vote that they open up Walt's apartment on his birthday itself.

LuvTDL
04-26-2001, 11:00 PM
I most certainly agree with everyone!
I think that it's a shame that Disneyland isn't doing anything for Walt Disney this year.
I think that at TDL, they're doing something called "Walt Disney's 100 years of Magic" and they've also decided to call December 5th Imagination Day in tribute to Walt Disney and are planning to have children from all over Asia submit their works of imagination to Walt Disney International -Japan. ALSO... I know that this year, they have 100 different kinds of pins to commemorate Walt's 100th birthday with 10 pins coming out each month.

I wish they had an attraction that went through the history of Disney. You'd get to go through how small his first studio was, with early drawings of Mickey Mouse.... then walk through looking at early concept drawings of Disneyland and their earliest attractions, with videos playing of Walt and Roy Disney on opening day and other famous people who were there that day... and also being able to go through a replica (or real thing) of Walt's apartment... ~sigh~ anyone else like my idea? =)

Anyhow.... it's really sad for me to hear that Disneyland isn't doing anything to honor the man behind all the magic...

LuvTDL
04-26-2001, 11:18 PM
To add to my little comment above....

Another idea would be to turn the DCA preview center into something called "A tribute to Walt Disney: 100 years of magic" and have an exhibit to show all the work that Walt Disney has done. They could have pictures and models and videos and all kinds of other historical items to honor Walt's dream. I'd personally love to see interviews of people who knew Walt and can talk about their first hand experiences with him.

I would really LOVE to see Disneyland do something like that.. especially for Walt's 100th =)

Doodle Duck
04-27-2001, 08:14 AM
Do you think for one second that anything Walt stood for and accomplished is anything more than an embarassment to this bunch? It's a thorn in their corporate sides that is a grinding of teeth. They realised some time ago they couldn't live up to it or even understand it..bringing it up just grates on 'em.

I suggest we keep bringing it up!

OF COURSE DISNEYLAND SHOULD BE THE HUB OF THE CELEBRATION.

It's like having Lincoln's Birthday not in the U.S. but in Irac...they know it...it is wrong, WRONG..and they don't care.

They also don't care that we do. How sad is that?

blusilva
04-27-2001, 09:27 AM
When I wrote to Guest Services to express my dismay that Walt's offices were being closed down, they wrote me a nice email back to say "many thousands of people will be enjoying them in Florida for Walt Disney's 100th Birthday Celebration". I emailed them back, essentially saying "well, that's nice but what does Disneyland get for Walt Disney's 100th birthday?" I got not an email but a mailed letter that was a "We're sorry you had a bad Disneyland experience" form letter that did not address the issue and was a completely inappropriate response.

The answer is, I guess, Disneyland gets nothing. And we'd better not dare care about it.

blusilva

Lani
04-27-2001, 09:51 AM
Well, it may not be a big deal in Disneyland, but the town of Marceline (MO) is sure putting together one big celebration. We were so impressed with what they were able to put together (for such a small town) that Alex and I now plan on traveling there in September.

Alex S.
04-27-2001, 10:11 AM
Does anybody know how long the Disney Gallery will be running the Herb Ryman exhibit? Is there any word on what they will be doing when it ends?

Essentially, what I am is wondering is if they might be planning something for Walt's 100th. I'll stop by and ask about it this weekend.

Joeymommy
04-27-2001, 10:57 AM
You can sign Walt's Birthday card at www.justdisney.com (http://www.justdisney.com/)....:D

[Admin: URL fixed. -- lani]

Doodle Duck
04-27-2001, 11:15 AM
Lompuke?

hahaha

Ensnotus..

Anaslime..

"Board!"

blusilva
04-27-2001, 11:27 AM
Ooooh. Thanks Joeymommy. Done!

Nice site, too.

blusilva

Alex S.
04-27-2001, 11:50 AM
Just out of curiosity: Are they planning to thaw Walt so they can give it to him, or will they just hold it until he's ready?

And Doodleduck, us moderators have been discussing how to handle foreign language posts. I think you may have just made history with the first MousePad Foreign Language Post.

We will cryogenically freeze your plaque until such time as translation is possible. :)

Doodle Duck
04-27-2001, 11:58 AM
Is not Ensnotus 67 miles south of Anaslime?

JoeyMommy should get the recognition for Lompuke.
I'm not worthy.

Alex S.
04-27-2001, 12:18 PM
Oh, I didn't see that you were playing off of joeymommy's location.

I still don't know what Lompuke and Ensnotus are (and neither does Google) but I think I've figure out that Anaslime is Anaheim.

I think I've been whooshed.

Andrew
04-27-2001, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Alex Stroup
I still don't know what Lompuke and Ensnotus are (and neither does Google) but I think I've figure out that Anaslime is Anaheim.

Guessing:

Lompuke = Lompoc?
Ensnotus = Encinitas?

-- Andrew

Doodle Duck
04-27-2001, 01:13 PM
Bingo

Joeymommy
04-30-2001, 02:28 PM
That's correct! :D

Napsto
04-30-2001, 08:30 PM
Walt Disney has to be one of the most influential men in the 20th century!

Gandalf
05-01-2001, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by blusilva
When I wrote to Guest Services to express my dismay that Walt's offices were being closed down, they wrote me a nice email back to say "many thousands of people will be enjoying them in Florida for Walt Disney's 100th Birthday Celebration". I emailed them back, essentially saying "well, that's nice but what does Disneyland get for Walt Disney's 100th birthday?" I got not an email but a mailed letter that was a "We're sorry you had a bad Disneyland experience" form letter that did not address the issue and was a completely inappropriate response.

The answer is, I guess, Disneyland gets nothing. And we'd better not dare care about it.

blusilva Where do they get the staff at City Hall? Does anyone else get the feeling you're in a Saturday Night Live skit (guests departing the plane)? All they need to brush up on is their buh-bye wave.

adriennek
05-01-2001, 10:23 AM
Re: Walt's Offices: In case you didn't know this:

First of all, only one of the offices is going to Florida: the business office. The office with the piano in it is staying.

Second of all, the business office *is* returning to Disneyland. It is only going to WDW for a 15 month loan.

As for opening Walt's Apartment-- I actually don't think that's a good idea, myself. I think that some things need to remain "Special."

Now, most of us here would classify ourselves as "Disneyphiles." For us, getting to see Walt's Apartment would be an extreme treat and privilege. We understand how hard it is to get in there, we appreciate the history behind it.

Frankly, I don't trust our fellow Disneyland guests. Can you imagine lines of people walking through the office? I can. I can also, unfortunately, imagine people not behaving appropriately in such a circumstance. So many times other guests have "ruined" an experience for the rest of us by their ill-mannered behaviors prompting Disney to take opportunities away from the public (Anyone else here really bummed that we can't ride on the Train Tenders anymore??)

Do I think that they should do *something* for Walt's birthday? sure do! But this isn't it.

Adrienne K

blusilva
05-01-2001, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by adriennek
Re: Walt's Offices: In case you didn't know this:

First of all, only one of the offices is going to Florida: the business office. The office with the piano in it is staying.

Second of all, the business office *is* returning to Disneyland. It is only going to WDW for a 15 month loan.

Adrienne, thanks for the info. I'm thrilled to hear it. It would have been nice to hear it from Guest Services. Instead I got a letter about how many people in Florida were going to enjoy it for *their* celebration of Walt Disney's birthday.

Note to Disneyland Guest Services: I don't live in Florida. I don't care what happens in Florida. Nothing you tell me in a letter about Disneyland is going to get me to fly to Florida and cough up to get into WDW.

Tell me what is going to happen HERE at Disneyland. That's what I want to know.

And when I actually take the time to respond and *ask* what's happening in Anaheim, don't brush me off with a mailed form letter that doesn't address my question, let alone answer it.

That's all. :)

blusilva

RedJak
05-01-2001, 11:18 AM
The local news is already starting to do promos for the Marceline birthday party. I almost feel sorry for the kids growing up there. Throughout the boardcast they had local children reciting the story of Walt that sounded like they had been repeating it for many years. Wasn't a bad piece though. Did the nickel tour of the Disney sites like the tree he used to sit against to watch nature and sketch his ideas.

--RedJak--

DisneylandKid
07-20-2001, 09:11 PM
I know other people have said this, but I'm going to say it again just to express my anger. . . I went on WDW's website and they have about 10 new things coming to their parks in honor of Walt's 100th. They get:

Disney/MGM: Giant sorcerer hat, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (we get it too, but for a different reason)
Magic Kingdom: Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Animal Kingdom: Triceratop Spin, Primeval Whirl roller coaster.
On top of that, they've got info kiosks, parades, etc. to honor Walt's 100th...... what does Disneyland get? NOTHING!

And as someone mentioned earlier, Walt never even set foot inside WDW, his magic is in DISNEYLAND.....
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

(Glad i got that out...)

Napsto
07-20-2001, 09:21 PM
yea, it is a sour deal.