PDA

View Full Version : Pros/cons to holiday vs. off season travel

6disneyfans
05-12-2009, 10:44 AM
We have 4 kids - 10,9,6 & 4. The year before last we traveled to WDW the Tues. before Thanksgiving til the Tues. after. Longer park hours (wonderful), fully decorated, not crowded at all (surprising!) but not typical from what we've heard. This year, I've planned our trip for the week after Thanksgiving (11/29 - 12/6) since I got a special pin code discount, but concerned about shorter park hours. Has anyone been during this timeframe and do the pros of value season outweigh the cons of shorter park hours, possibly limited fireworks, etc? Also, the Very Merry Party - does it mean that MK will close extra early during these nights? It looks like for 2008, it closed at 7:00pm. whereas during holiday week, it was opened until 11 or midnight. Any advice would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Leslie
05-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I got the exact same pin code and are staying at the Pop Nov. 29- Dec. 6th. Cant help on the hours or anything but just so happy to get a cheap rate like I did and coming back.

Drince88
05-12-2009, 11:23 AM
I try not to go during very busy times. I've found that even though the hours are shorter, you can do just about the same amount of stuff/more stuff because the crowds are smaller.

If you do want to see the 'nightime' stuff at the MK, you do have to plan around the party dates - and by nightime stuff I mean SpectroMagic, Wishes, and the lighting of the castle. The castle lighting is a simple show but the oohs and ahhhs from the crowd when they actually do light the castle makes it WELL worth the time. (And, oh yea, the REASON for the oohs and ahhs!) I think they time this for before the park closes on party nights (or right as it's closing), so it's not as hard to work around since it happens EVERY night.

The one thing I notice when it's closing earlier is that I tend not to take an afternoon break and just go until park close. I'll often hop over to Epcot, since it's open until 9 if it's a super early close at the other parks - but not always. Sometmes I either have a later dinner (kind of hard to do with 6 and 4 year olds in particular) so I don't dig into park time, or just call it an early evening so that I'm up and at 'em for rope drop (or close to it) the next day.

I say enjoy the 'non peak' time while you can - once the kids get to a certain age it's much harder to take them out of school for vacations!

mkraemer
05-12-2009, 09:50 PM
If you do want to see the 'nightime' stuff at the MK, you do have to plan around the party dates - and by nightime stuff I mean SpectroMagic, Wishes, and the lighting of the castle. The castle lighting is a simple show but the oohs and ahhhs from the crowd when they actually do light the castle makes it WELL worth the time. (And, oh yea, the REASON for the oohs and ahhs!) I think they time this for before the park closes on party nights (or right as it's closing), so it's not as hard to work around since it happens EVERY night.

We 'saved' seeing the castle lighting for our last evening at Walt Disney World, and it was one of the most magical (and yes, I truly mean this) sights I've ever seen at a Disney park. It's just amazing. Words and photos do not convey it adequately. It is something you have to experience!

By going *after* Thanksgiving, you will get to see all the holiday decorations. Be sure to see the Osborne Lights at Epcot!

Drince88
05-13-2009, 03:53 AM
You want to make sure and see the Osborne lights at the STUDIOS (but Mary knew that, she just mis-typed!). Lights of Winter in Epcot are also cool, but no where near the same level.