PDA

View Full Version : Poor Disneyland ducks

Pages : [1] 2

Krisseee2
05-07-2009, 03:01 PM
so yesteday while I was at the park with my boyfriend we decided to sit by the water near the hungry bear..while sitting there we noticed a mommy duck and 11 lil baby ducks all in a row where the canoe's are....after about 10 minutes of watching them all but 3 of the babies jumped in the water with mom, the other 3 waited another 10 mins before finally jumping in to find out where mom went...one stressed out baby came like 2 feet from us to get on a rock then BAM out of nowhere...a freaking cat comes out of the bush and snags the baby duck and takes off with it. Needless to say we were in shock along with a family we were standing there with...I seriously cannot believe what I saw...After all that time thinking how cute it was that happens. kinda ruined my day even. poor duckie.

jcruise86
05-07-2009, 03:05 PM
so yesteday while I was at the park with my boyfriend we decided to sit by the water near the hungry bear..while sitting there we noticed a mommy duck and 11 lil baby ducks all in a row where the canoe's are....after about 10 minutes of watching them all but 3 of the babies jumped in the water with mom, the other 3 waited another 10 mins before finally jumping in to find out where mom went...one stressed out baby came like 2 feet from us to get on a rock then BAM out of nowhere...a freaking cat comes out of the bush and snags the baby duck and takes off with it. Needless to say we were in shock along with a family we were standing there with...I seriously cannot believe what I saw...After all that time thinking how cute it was that happens. kinda ruined my day even. poor duckie.
Those were not real ducks and that was not a real cat.
Disney is trying to be more environmentally accurate, and what you saw was a subtle (and probably unsuccessful) promotion of it's new nature film, "Earth."

jcruise86
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
P.S. If you don't believe me, wait under the Hungry Bear. It happens every 15 minutes like the dolls that escape from the front of Small World.

Hannahbelle
05-07-2009, 03:44 PM
OMG, I would be freaked out if I saw that! I thought cats liked mice? Oh wait! Hmmmmm. I see whats going on here! LOL!

DisneyDustin22
05-07-2009, 04:02 PM
So sad, but the circle of life.... :(

I witnessed something at the San Diego Zoo once like this. Where a mother duck and her ducklings were swimming around the pond. There is an open pond across from the giant bird sanctuary where birds and ducks can fly in and out freely. This giant bird...looked like a crow but worse, swooped in and snatched up a duckling and flew away.

There were tons of kids who witnessed it as well as adults. But the funny part, if you can call it that, was like 2 other ducks and this other bird took off after it over the trees. Almost like you would see in a movie where the other members of a gang or tribe go after the attacker. Then a bunch of other ducks surrounded the mother and the ducklings for a while. While traumatic, it was kind of surreal to watch, especially the aftermath and how they all watched over each other.

WITron
05-08-2009, 08:06 AM
In the circle...... The circle of life!

fairestoneofall
05-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Very sad, but those cats at Disneyland don't eat Purina....I can tell you that. They are ferel and survive because they are hunters/scavengers. It's just sad that you had to witness that in the midst of your happy day.

disneylandgirl
05-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Awwww that's so sad. I probably would have cried.

olegc
05-08-2009, 08:56 AM
yeah - all those pictures posted by you-know-who show the cats in a static state - and the "aw, cute kitty" comments always come out. Then when you're there reality sets in. These cats will do whatever they need to in order to survive..

Now - if Disneyland had bears and their cubs roaming around like yesteday in So Cal - no one would mess!

jcruise86
05-08-2009, 10:17 AM
I absolutely love the cats at Disneyland!
We look around the Hungry Bear for them. I bet you haven't seen many rats at Disneyland, and you can thank them for that. I used to work on a boat ride at Disneyland and I was glad there weren't more ducks on the "river." Then again we have brought bread to feed the ducks, which I guess was indirectly feeding the cats. . . my bad? Probably.

But I love those cats!

candles71
05-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Very sad, but those cats at Disneyland don't eat Purina....I can tell you that. They are ferel and survive because they are hunters/scavengers. It's just sad that you had to witness that in the midst of your happy day.

From a previous thread: quoted from Panfan: There's a number of them that frequent the Storybook Land area. They usually hang out backstage during the day, but sometimes you have to watch out for them on the track while driving Casey. I've seen Figaro (the black and white one) climbing Cinderella's Castle (Catzilla!) and Tigger (an orange one who reminds me more of O'Malley) is often seen darting behind a bush when spotted. They come on stage almost immediately after the area has been cleared of guests after park closing (the cans of food that come out then probably contribute to that as well...).

Cats that are fed are better hunters. DD#2 would have been really upset by this as well, but they are there to hunt.

Yana Neko
05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I had a similar experience about 2-3 weeks ago. They ducklings were smaller then and it was the first day that I had witnessed them since they all hatched. My husband and I were on the Mark Twain, looking out toward Tom Sawyer's island side while we waited for the boat to finish loading and start moving. It was a long wait and we were just looking at the ducklings.

As I was fawning over their cuteness, I noticed a duckling had lagged behind. As soon as I made this observation, a bird swooped down and plucked the poor duckling from the water. The bird landed just at the water's edge and swallowed the duckling whole in one gulp. My husband and I stared in SHOCK and then turned to each other and where like, "omg, did you just see that?!" I was freaking out. I was near tears and I kept thinking, "Disney duckie . . . was murdered!" It was so sad! The bird wasn't even satisfied with one. It went in for another kill, but mommy duck had wised up and protected her young fiercely. The bird backed down.

It was a truly horrifying thing to witness. I don't know why, but Disneyland has this effect on me -- I think it's all magic and rainbows and then THAT happened. My God.

fairestoneofall
05-08-2009, 11:42 AM
From a previous thread: quoted from Panfan: There's a number of them that frequent the Storybook Land area. They usually hang out backstage during the day, but sometimes you have to watch out for them on the track while driving Casey. I've seen Figaro (the black and white one) climbing Cinderella's Castle (Catzilla!) and Tigger (an orange one who reminds me more of O'Malley) is often seen darting behind a bush when spotted. They come on stage almost immediately after the area has been cleared of guests after park closing (the cans of food that come out then probably contribute to that as well...).

Cats that are fed are better hunters. DD#2 would have been really upset by this as well, but they are there to hunt.

Well, then I stand corrected.

stan4d_steph
05-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I heard someone else describe how they'd seen a night heron (http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Birds/Facts/FactSheets/fact-blknightheron.cfm) get a duckling one time in the castle moat.

VickiC
05-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Realistically if every mama duck at DL had 8 ducklings and they all survievd each year, DL would soon be awash in a sea of guano.

disneylandgirl
05-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Realistically if every mama duck at DL had 8 ducklings and they all survievd each year, DL would soon be awash in a sea of guano.

Ewe.

So true.

zombie pirate
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM

That is very true there is a lake in town called Lindo Lake, it is overpopulated with ducks, It smells real bad in the summer.

Yana Neko
05-08-2009, 03:58 PM
I heard someone else describe how they'd seen a night heron (http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Birds/Facts/FactSheets/fact-blknightheron.cfm) get a duckling one time in the castle moat.

That is precisely the kind of bird I saw. The more you know . . .

Thank you!

DisneyFunFamily4
05-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Wow, I use to think if I was a duck I'd live at DL, but after reading this thread I'm having second thoughts...

jcruise86
05-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Wow, I use to think if I was a duck I'd live at DL, but after reading this thread I'm having second thoughts...
But if you were a cat it might be pretty cool. :cool:
Everybody wants to be a cat, and a cat's the only cat that knows where it's at.

Tisha
05-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Aww, that would be sad to see!

It kind of reminds me of what always happens at work when we raise butterflies in the classroom. Every year when we go outside to release them, one gets eaten by a bird. Always leads to a new lesson...lol. :rolleyes:

DisneyFunFamily4
05-08-2009, 07:13 PM
But if you were a cat it might be pretty cool. :cool:
Everybody wants to be a cat, and a cat's the only cat that knows where it's at.

I was thinking of that, but I don't want to EAT the baby ducks...

woody9six
05-10-2009, 09:18 AM
This reminds me of a poem (http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=694348) I remember reading my junior year of high school.

BlkPearlCptn
05-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Aww, that would be sad to see!

It kind of reminds me of what always happens at work when we raise butterflies in the classroom. Every year when we go outside to release them, one gets eaten by a bird. Always leads to a new lesson...lol. :rolleyes:

LOL...I completely understand. I teach Special Ed and we had a dead baby bird (fell out of the nest) on the sidewalk in front of our classroom. Well, my kids ( 5th - 8th grade) are into "dead anything," and as nothing else was going to get done until we went out and looked at the bird, we filed out of the classroom. Just as I was talking about nature and why things happen, one of our resident raven's swooped down and gulped up the corpse. Which lead into the "circle of life" lesson for the day. Two years later and the kids STILL talk about it. (And, like me, think ravens are the ultimate in cool birds). LOL

darph nader
05-12-2009, 08:18 PM

My son works at a local mini golf course and about once a year,they drain the water features to clean them out.:eyeroll:
Full body suits,shovels,and pressure washers. He 'hates' that time of year.:eek: