PDA

View Full Version : Star tours 2 is coming!

Pages : [1] 2

MamaBaer
05-05-2009, 11:50 AM
This really has been a long time coming:

It turns out Oz had been in the studio putting down new tracks of dialogue for a major overhaul of Star Tours, the Disney ride that made its official opening in early 1987. Oz realized he had spoken out of turn and, through the folks at Lucasfilm, asked that I sit on that little tidbit until there was something more detailed to share with the public.

Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/05/star-tours-ride-getting-an-upgrade.html
:D

Tan Da Man
05-06-2009, 12:25 AM
YESS!!

Unless it is anything based off of Episode I, II, or III..then this just sucks.

Katran
05-06-2009, 07:16 AM
It's about time! I'm happy with any change. I enjoyed the prequel movies, so I'm perfectly fine with stuff from those movies in there. However, if the ride vehicle is going to be chased by Boba Fett, then that pretty much puts us squarely during the time period of IV, V and VI, or at least in the not too distant past from IV.

Maybe it will cover a time period in between III and IV? I'd be cool with that.

MouseVII
05-06-2009, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't mind if they added stuff from 1, 2, and 3, I just hope they don't leave out 4, 5, and 6. Make it fun for fans of all the movies.

Katran
05-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Agreed! I'm sure they could do it if they made the effort. If we're being "chased" by Boba Fett, then I imagine we'd be running all over the universe.

UsBurchs
05-06-2009, 09:07 AM
It's about time! I'm happy with any change. I enjoyed the prequel movies, so I'm perfectly fine with stuff from those movies in there. However, if the ride vehicle is going to be chased by Boba Fett, then that pretty much puts us squarely during the time period of IV, V and VI, or at least in the not too distant past from IV.

Maybe it will cover a time period in between III and IV? I'd be cool with that.

The Clone Wars . . . the period between III and IV. I'm such a dorky Star Wars wife!!! LOL - but hubby would be proud.

If this means getting my hubby to Disneyland again - I'm all for it! I just hope they make the ride not so terrible for motion sensative people. My hubby can do just about any roller coaster out there, but can't do Star Tours without throwing up. Even if they just updated the ride so the motion matches the movement on the screen, we'd be happy!

Katran
05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
I feel your hubby's pain. I have to use Motion-Eze before I can go on that ride, and even then I still get a little queasy.

I also find that sitting in the middle works best. That's the spot that moves around the least. You can ask the cast member to set you up in line so that you end up in the middle.

Ohthatjeff
05-06-2009, 10:36 AM
The Clone Wars . . . the period between III and IV. I'm such a dorky Star Wars wife!!! LOL - but hubby would be proud.

The Clone Wars take place between Episodes II and III.

From the article, it sounds like it takes place sometime during or slightly before the original trilogy. (For Boba Fett to be the main adversary, it would require him to be old enough to be a bounty hunter and not yet be dead*.)

MamaBaer
05-06-2009, 10:51 AM

From the article, it sounds like it takes place sometime during or slightly before the original trilogy. (For Boba Fett to be the main adversary, it would require him to be old enough to be a bounty hunter and not yet be dead*.)

Not to mention the fact that the article begins with a conversation with Frank Oz (Yoda) that he is doing voice work for "A new Disney ride"...it will have to be before Fett and Yoda die in episode 6.

*Tink*
05-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I've never gone on Star Tours because I get motion sickness (although I can ride on everything else at DLR and not get sick). DH rarely suffers from motion sickness, but he went on it with my step-dad during our first trip to DLR and came off about to throw up. He's never gone back on it and I've never even tried. I figure, if something makes him sick, I'm not even gonna try!

candles71
05-06-2009, 12:57 PM

That what I was going to say. Anakin is still Anakin, during the Clone Wars. Not Vader. Oh and if you've never read any of the books
Boba doesn't actually die in the pit
DH has been saying for awhile now, we don't just need a new movie/ride we need choices. Leave one the original, and make other "destinations" for the other 2? similators.

MouseVII
05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
DH has been saying for awhile now, we don't just need a new movie/ride we need choices. Leave one the original, and make other "destinations" for the other 2? similators.Now that would be awesome. Somewhere in the the line it has a poster that lists upcoming destinations to like Hoth or Tatooine, and I wondered when I first rode Star Tours in the 90s if the poster was for real or just to ad the the realism. To finally bring choice of destination to the ride would be awesome. Maybe they could make it like the Matterhorn and have some more mild than the others.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they had 4 simulators? I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Ohthatjeff
05-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Not to mention the fact that the article begins with a conversation with Frank Oz (Yoda) that he is doing voice work for "A new Disney ride"...it will have to be before Fett and Yoda die in episode 6.

Not necessarily.

Yoda appears as a ghost in the end of the film so he could actually do the Obi-Wan ghost voice thing.

And as candles71 pointed out (and I allude to my edit), there's a story that provides a different ending for the galaxy's most over-hyped bounty hunter.*

*No, not Dog.

dehnehsu
05-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Last I heard of a potential update was 14 years ago in 1995 by Tony Baxter at an "Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye" ride update meeting. (No I wasn't there)

So it looks like it won't be completely CGI, and possibly 3D. Sounds cool. Thanks for the links and info!

candles71
05-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Ohthatjeff- I totally missed your edit earlier. I always wondered the same thing with the posters when it first opened. They are on the walls after exiting the ride but before the shop.

Soggydoughnuts
05-07-2009, 06:58 AM
This is exciting! The ride has so much potential and has needed an upgrade for quite a long time! I am suprised it has taken this long to take action. I have been to endor to many time :-P

-Donuts

Bolivar
05-07-2009, 08:37 AM
I have said this before, but that ride is just a simulator. The movement is computer controlled to match the scenes on the screen. It could be one ride and completely change for the next group. I wish they would make a whole bunch of different rides. In the Star Wars universe pod racing isn't limited to the one we saw, it is a sport happening on lots of planets, have one ride be a POD race other than the one we saw in the movie, have a another one be the original we have now, have another one be... the possibilites are endless.

Just imagine if there were ten different versions and you never knew which you would get until you boarded.

Park Freak
05-07-2009, 09:31 AM
I like the idea of different adventures, but I think that you'd have to choose before boarding. What if you got the same one several times in a row? I think some people would get mad at standing in line that many times only to get the same one every time.

Tinkermommy
05-07-2009, 09:39 AM
I've never gone on Star Tours because I get motion sickness (although I can ride on everything else at DLR and not get sick). DH rarely suffers from motion sickness, but he went on it with my step-dad during our first trip to DLR and came off about to throw up. He's never gone back on it and I've never even tried. I figure, if something makes him sick, I'm not even gonna try!

Oddly enough, they apparently used to sometimes turn off the motion. The first time my daughter (who was then about five) agreed to try Star Tours, we got to the loading area and she chickened out. A wonderful CM noticed us leaving, stopped us to find out why, and offered to give us a motion free viewing. We sat alone in the room, where we watched the film but the seats didn't move.

The next time we went, we asked a loading CM about doing that, and he looked at us like that was the craziest request he'd ever heard. Go figure. (Fortunately, my daughter tried the moving version and has loved it since.)

MamaBaer
05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Now that would be awesome. Somewhere in the the line it has a poster that lists upcoming destinations to like Hoth or Tatooine, and I wondered when I first rode Star Tours in the 90s if the poster was for real or just to ad the the realism. To finally bring choice of destination to the ride would be awesome. Maybe they could make it like the Matterhorn and have some more mild than the others.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they had 4 simulators? I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

There are 4 simulators, one has been used for testing (using It's Tough To Be A Bug in 3D from what I've heard).

As for different adventures, it's tough to designate each simulator for one trip. Randomizing them might be better (and give them the ability to offer ,ore than 4 trips)

Bytebear
05-07-2009, 10:27 AM
With digital video technology, they could make things change mid ride ramdomly, similar to how Indiana Jones gives a slightly different experience every time. Nothing too dramatic, but just enough so that the repeat guest doesn't get bored.

Matterhorn Yodeler
05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
I am all for new Star Tours adventures. However I hope they do not completely get rid of the current film:

1) The battle of the Death Star is perhaps the most iconic moment in the entire Star Wars saga.

2) The current film features the "Mighty Microscope" from Adventures in Inner Space, the original ride in the building. So complete elimination of the film would cancel the entire history of that space in DL.

Jeffreaky
05-07-2009, 09:46 PM
YESS!!

Unless it is anything based off of Episode I, II, or III..then this just sucks.

Now that's really funny!

Anyone else agree that that's funny? Ha!

The old man
05-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Now that's really funny!

Anyone else agree that that's funny? Ha!
You've forced my hand into an OT.

I think Episodes I, II, III, IV, V, & VI suck.

That said I always liked ST until my 50's when inner ear problems made it impossible to ride without getting nauseous.

Jeffreaky
05-09-2009, 02:08 PM
You've forced my hand into an OT.

I think Episodes I, II, III, IV, V, & VI suck.

That said I always liked ST until my 50's when inner ear problems made it impossible to ride without getting nauseous.

Now that's really funny too!

I don't agree with the IV, V, & VI part but I do like your honesty and to me that makes it funny too.