PDA

View Full Version : Our magical moment at Disneyland

teri
01-01-2003, 07:41 PM
I took the kids to Disneyland for a day on 12/28/2002, when were were down to see the grandparents. Our autistic son Marc has been homeschooled since mid-November when his school program fell apart. One of the books we have been working on for vocabulary and pronunciation is Sleeping Beauty, a picture book about 95 pages long that goes along with the movie version. He read the book to 2 of his teachers just before the Christmas holiday - they were suitably impressed that he had calmed down and that he was reading so fluently, given that he had been so quiet and agitated when he was in school. [:)]

We took his book to Disneyland with us. I had Marc go up to Guest Services and ask where he could find Princess Aurora to sign his book. Michael at Guest Services, who recognized us from previous visits, kindly looked up her location and called to verify for us where she could be found. We got there just as she was leaving, but she would be back in half an hour, so we roamed around for a bit until she returned. We were first in line to see her when she got back. Princess Aurora was most patient and gracious with Marc, and let him read his favorite page from the book - this was very hard for him, to be on the spot with a stranger, in public, reading a book, but he did great. Then, she signed the book and congratulated him for doing such a good job. He was in kid heaven!

It was just one of those wonderful, magical moments... :) Here is a picture...
http://pixiedustinn.com/photos/Christmas2002/Dcp_0505.jpg

HBTiggerFan
01-01-2003, 08:00 PM
what a precious picture and magical moment! I got all teary-eyed reading this! thank you for sharing it!!!!!

Lani
01-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Cute Hogwarts School sweatshirt. I almost didn't notice it; it just looked like a regular school shirt. :) Thank you for sharing your story, Teri. Sounds like it was a really magical moment!

SoCalSnowWhite
01-01-2003, 11:33 PM
That's too sweet!! It's CM's like that thatmake Disneyland so magical!

MouseWife
01-02-2003, 05:16 AM
You must be so proud! That is a big step for him. I don't know too many kids who would be so confident to read to a princess. ;)

That is all you, Mamma!!!!

Great picture, too. :)

Not Afraid
01-02-2003, 06:51 AM
That is just sooooo wonderful! You must be so proud of the little guy. And, what good taste he has, picking my favorite Princess.;) :D

mad4mky
01-02-2003, 08:45 AM
That's a great memory to share and to have.

I love the way the characters treat my daughter with special needs. They truly make the trips to DLR and WDW magical. I have pictures and memories of her since she was a toddler with characters who really took the time and effort to make her and our visit special.:D

Thank you for sharing your nice and magical moment with us.:D

Napsto
01-02-2003, 09:36 AM
thats really neat, so there is still some magic left in teh joint.

ldsguy
01-02-2003, 10:18 AM
It truly is these little things that set Disney parks above the rest. We need to hear more about the good things than we have been, in my opinion at least, thank you for sharing one of the good things.

blusilva
01-02-2003, 07:42 PM
Teri, may I say your son is going to be a heartbreaker when he grows up? He's adorable.

What a sweet memory. Thanks for sharing!