PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! Typos in Rolly Crump's Window!!

KarenW2
05-04-2009, 01:58 AM
If anyone has read the Disneyland Update and seen the photos from the window presentation for Rolly Crump, you'll see the same thing I saw!! 2 TYPOS!

I couldn't believe it! In the article and seemingly in the window photo as well, it says, "Bazaar, Whimsical & Wierd". :eek:

Shouldn't that be BIZARRE, Whimsical & WEIRD?? A bazaar is a totally different thing than the word in context and there is no such word as WIERD!!

Don't they have a spell or word checker to use, before they go to the expense of making a window??

I guess I should be relieved they didn't make it, "Bazaar, Whimsicle and Wierd"?

I sure hope someone can fix it!! :eek:

Drince88
05-04-2009, 04:23 AM
I figured the bazaar was some specific word play by Disney, but I didn't notice the other typo :(

(But that's a tough word for me, it doesn't follow the i/e rules, even the C or 'neighbor/weigh' exemptions)

VickiC
05-04-2009, 04:32 AM
He was a designer for the Adventureland Bazaar.

Cnjp
05-04-2009, 04:52 AM
If you click on the photo of the window in the update, a slightly larger version will pop up. In that you can see that weird is spelled correctly on the actual window. :)

tod
05-04-2009, 05:32 AM
One of the sign designers, when called on the "bazaar" spelling, said it was deliberate.

You got me. I don't find it much of a stretch to believe that nobody looked it up but just trusted whatever came out of their head(s).

--t

stan4d_steph
05-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Here's the image from the Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/8825/Disneyland_Resort_Update):

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/85193-2/CrumpWindow.JPG

River Belle
05-04-2009, 07:05 AM
I just read today's Disneyland Resort Update and was shocked to see a major spelling error on Rolly Crump's new window on Main Street in the section that reads: "Bazaar, Whimisical & Weird."

BAZAAR is a noun that means marketplace, while BIZARRE is an adjective that means unusual. They used the wrong spelling!

I realize this won't be an issue for a lot of people, but I'm surprised that it wasn't caught before the window was unveiled. Seems very unprofessional to me!

houseofmouse
05-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Looks okay to me. :)

River Belle
05-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Whoops--didn't see the thread that was already started on this topic. SORRY!

stan4d_steph
05-04-2009, 07:19 AM
They used the wrong spelling!It's okay, it's a pun.

danyoung
05-05-2009, 09:42 AM
There are puns all over those windows. There is no mis-spelling - they picked Bazaar because Rolly was one of the designers of the Adventureland Bazaar.

cstephens
05-05-2009, 10:33 AM
I think it's pretty clear from looking at the picture that the window was spelled correctly and that it was simply a typo in the story.

And I think using "bazaar" is a pretty funny pun.

Wobble
05-05-2009, 11:59 AM
I get this feeling that perhaps both "mistakes" (or at least "bazaar") are actually intentional and are meant to be funny. However, from the picture shown, "weird" looks like it is spelled correctly... perhaps that is just me.

ChurroGirl
05-05-2009, 12:03 PM
It looks good to me.

River Belle
05-05-2009, 07:29 PM
There are puns all over those windows. There is no mis-spelling - they picked Bazaar because Rolly was one of the designers of the Adventureland Bazaar.

In that case, it was a clever move on their part for people "in the know" (I can appreciate a good pun). Unfortunately, I imagine there will be a lot of people out there who didn't know that Rolly was a designer for the Adventureland Bazaar and will simply think that Disney needs to hire a new proofreader...

cstephens
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
In that case, it was a clever move on their part for people "in the know" (I can appreciate a good pun). Unfortunately, I imagine there will be a lot of people out there who didn't know that Rolly was a designer for the Adventureland Bazaar and will simply think that Disney needs to hire a new proofreader...

Well, they *do*, but not because of this window.

Drince88
05-06-2009, 04:03 AM
In that case, it was a clever move on their part for people "in the know" (I can appreciate a good pun).
But when I first read the story with the Bazaar in it, one of my first thoughts was "Hmmm, I wonder what Bazaar he was involved with", and if I'd been curious about it, I would have investigated further. I think the puns are good for those 'in the know'. And for those that even NOTICE the pun, a good starting point for finding out more about a cool person (because only cool people get windows!) I would imagine that the general public doesn't even KNOW that the windows mean anything, and probably wouldn't notice that it was 'the wrong' word/pun.

And I agree with cstephens, they need to hire a new proofreader, but this isn't a symptom of it!

danyoung
05-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Unfortunately, I imagine there will be a lot of people out there who didn't know that Rolly was a designer for the Adventureland Bazaar and will simply think that Disney needs to hire a new proofreader...

I'm guessing that the folks that know to look at the windows and who know who those Imagineer guys are will either know about the Bazaar or have access to online forums like this one to put them straight. I think a much worse example of bad grammar was that sign in Tomorrowland that said "Lightyear's Above The Rest". Very very poor!

tod
05-06-2009, 05:20 AM
I'm guessing that the folks that know to look at the windows and who know who those Imagineer guys are will either know about the Bazaar or have access to online forums like this one to put them straight. I think a much worse example of bad grammar was that sign in Tomorrowland that said "Lightyear's Above The Rest". Very very poor!

I thought that was a very clever use of the contraction, meaning "Lightyear is above the rest" and synching up nicely with the retheming of Tomorrowland Terrace as Club Buzz.

And I am death on what I call the "apostrophe'd plural."

This "Bazaar" business, however... I don't know if it's deliberate or a desperate "We meant to do that" backpedaling. I know they already are totally unclear on the concept of design that should be seen from the street, putting in layers of detail that are totally wasted because they can't be seen.

Look at the Ken Anderson Bait Company over the Market House or Harper Goff's window in Adventureland to see how they used to do it.

--t

danyoung
05-06-2009, 05:59 AM
I thought that was a very clever use of the contraction, meaning "Lightyear is above the rest" and synching up nicely with the retheming of Tomorrowland Terrace as Club Buzz.

And I am death on what I call the "apostrophe'd plural."

It was argued when this sign first came out that it could be viewed the way you did. I just couldn't see it that way - it seemed much more the apostrophe'd plural.