PDA

View Full Version : What is the Disneyland Advisory Council?

gn2dlnd
01-01-2003, 01:09 PM
I know some of you have been (or are) involved with this, what exactly is it? Does it accomplish anything? Do I even have the right name for it? Inquiring minds and all that, you know.

Gemini Cricket
01-01-2003, 01:24 PM
This thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4851&highlight=Disneyland+Advisory+Council) might help.
:)

adriennek
01-01-2003, 01:25 PM
If you mean the Disneyland Creative Advisory Council, I can offer a brief explanation:

The Disneyland Creative Advisory Council was first formed in 2000. It was an idea that Cynthia Harriss had. The best way I can describe it is: a semi-permanent focus group. "Council Members" serve for one year and meet about 4 times during that year. Since the 2000 Council, there were Councils in 2001 and 2002.

I was on the 2001 Council. We met four times. At the beginning, we signed Non-Disclosure Agreements. More or less, CMs from TDA came to our meetings, showed us ideas they were working on, mostly related to special events and merchandise ideas, and asked for our feedback. We were invited back last year (2002) for a special meeting that all three councils were invited to, as well.

You asked if it accomplishes anything and that is kind of a loaded question if you ask me. In the the time since I was on the Council, I have seen things happen at Disneyland with mixed results. I've thought: "Oh, we told them that was a bad idea and they did it anyway." I've also on one occasion thought: "I remember when we came up with that idea! That was part of my idea!" (That was really cool. And, yes, I bought the merchandise, of course.)

I am very glad I've had the chance to be on the council. For me, I think it enhanced my appreciation for Disneyland. I learned a lot about how the company operates, how special events and merchandise operate, and I've met many very nice people in the company (and I met a lot of really nice people on the councils, too!) I attended a meeting about a week or two before my younger son was born. That was fun! (I'm not being sarcastic, either.)

I had some unique opportunities as a result of attending the meetings and on more than one occassion AVP and I looked at each other and said, "If we go home and tell our husbands what we got to do today without them, they will divorce us." Fortunately, Tony and Kevin wisely chose not to divorce us.

Adrienne K

Gemini Cricket
01-01-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
I was on the 2001 Council.
And now Pressler's gone. Good job, adriennek!
:D

Klutch
01-01-2003, 03:04 PM
What is it with managers in general?

I work on a very large computer project for the US Air Force. My team is constantly telling management why their recommendations are very bad ideas. Invariably, they do it anyway, and invariably the people on my team are proved right.

Dilbert is so real it's scarey. Apparently, even at Disney.

01-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Klutch

Dilbert is so real it's scarey.

You are so right. It's a Dilbert world.

gn2dlnd
01-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by adriennek

You asked if it accomplishes anything and that is kind of a loaded question if you ask me.

What? Who me? ;)
Thanks for the answer, and Gemini, thanks for the link. I would love to be on some sort of advisory council to Disneyland, but I don't know that I'd be all that useful regarding merchandising. I actually dislike manufactured collectibles, i.e., cloisonne pins, sericels, limited edition (only millions made!) junk, etc. Now, if they want to get down to brass tacks about why Pooh should be in the Motorboat Cruise and not in Bear Country, I'm available. And I think I just started a new thread.

adriennek
01-01-2003, 06:41 PM
GC: sorry, I can't take any credit for Pressler being gone ;)

Originally posted by gn2dlnd
What? Who me? ;)
Thanks for the answer, and Gemini, thanks for the link. I would love to be on some sort of advisory council to Disneyland, but I don't know that I'd be all that useful regarding merchandising.

One thing about the councils is that they tend to also have people who don't spend a lot of money on merchandising events- they want to find out how to make merchandise more appealing to people who aren't spending a lot of money on it yet as well as more appealing to the people who spend lots.

Now, if they want to get down to brass tacks about why Pooh should be in the Motorboat Cruise and not in Bear Country, I'm available. And I think I just started a new thread.

Nope, the council meetings I attended haven't really ever talk about attractions except for how to create events around existing attractions or future attractions that they already planned (one reason for the NDA.)

Adrienne K

Napsto
01-02-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by gn2dlnd
I know some of you have been (or are) involved with this, what exactly is it? Does it accomplish anything? Do I even have the right name for it? Inquiring minds and all that, you know.

its kinda like Vatican II

MickeyD
01-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Napsto
its kinda like Vatican II

Oh how perfect is that?? Adrienne K was a member of the Disney Vatican II! :D :D :D

adriennek
01-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD
Oh how perfect is that?? Adrienne K was a member of the Disney Vatican II! :D :D :D

It *would* be perfect, but lemme tell you, it's nothing like Vatican II. The changes at Disneyland weren't nearly that drastic.

Adrienne K

RStar
01-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Adrienne,

Are the meetings a full day, say 8-5? And spaced out through out the year, like once a quarter?

Have they solicited for 2003 already?

Thank you,

~Bob

adriennek
01-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by RStar
Adrienne,

Are the meetings a full day, say 8-5? And spaced out through out the year, like once a quarter?

Yes, they're full day. As you said, they were about 8 to 5. They provided lunch. Yes, they're spaced out through the year. We had ours in January, late April, July, and September.

As I mentioned, they tended to plan them around dates that people would be around anyway, so that out of towners wouldn't be too inconvenienced. The July meetings are usually around the anniversary/NFFC convention.

They're weekday meetings, too- usually Mondays or Fridays. People had to take off work, arranging babysitting, etc.

I don't know.

Adrienne K

RStar
01-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I could arrange the time off work.

I assume that if I here back that I'm too late (or turned down) that I could reapply next year.

SueKruse
01-04-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by RStar
Adrienne,

Thank you,

~Bob
I'm a member of this year's council.

We still have one more meeting to go and no, they have not solicited for the 2003 council yet. When they do, I'll post something to let you all know.

RStar
01-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Thank you, Sue.

MonorailMan
01-06-2003, 01:41 PM
Is there an age requirement? :D

Lani
01-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Is there an age requirement? :D Something like this I have to assume for legal reasons that participants cannot be minors.

RStar
01-06-2003, 02:16 PM
I can think of several minors here that may be good for the job, but will need to wait a couple of years.

Sorry MM, be patient. Besides, I may apply, and still need to wait a couple of years myself.;)