PDA

View Full Version : Trip with a child with special needs

mckygirl99
04-30-2009, 04:40 AM
I am a special education teacher and I want to take a student with to DL for all the progress he has made. He has ADHD and I am nervous about him waiting in the lines. It would be very hard for him to do it and it may be bothersome for those around us. Is there a way to get a pass to bypass the lines? I am a passholder but I have never heard of this (unless of course there is a wheelchair involved). I really want to do this for him but we may have to make different plans.

Thanks!

Malcon10t
04-30-2009, 05:50 AM
I am a special education teacher and I want to take a student with to DL for all the progress he has made. He has ADHD and I am nervous about him waiting in the lines. It would be very hard for him to do it and it may be bothersome for those around us. Is there a way to get a pass to bypass the lines? I am a passholder but I have never heard of this (unless of course there is a wheelchair involved). I really want to do this for him but we may have to make different plans.

Thanks!I've moved your post to a forum where you are more likely to get responses you need.

First, there is no pass to bypass lines. You can go to City Hall and they will tell you how they might be able to assist you. First, they will advise you to use Fastpass. Next, they will talk with you and determine how severe his issues are. Most ADHD kids should be able to wait in the lines. Many of the queue are designed to keep attention. And most of the lines constantly move, which really does help ADHD kids (my son is the poster child for ADHD.)

Should they determine the child could not wait in the standard line, they may offer you the HA access pass. Be aware, this does NOT bypass lines, and in fact, the lines can be longer than the stand by lines. However, you wait in areas where you do not have as many people around you. Examples, POTC, you wait along side the ride exit. Problem here for most ADHD kids is the line rarely moves. You may stand still for 5 minutes before you move again, whereas the regular line is almost constantly moving. The line is usually 15-30 minutes longer than the standby line. On Space Mountain, you wait near the exit where you can sit. Again, you sit in the area, and move only every 15 minutes or so. Same with Nemo, and IASW is even worse.

If you need to wait in the alternative areas, it works out great. But it does take a little longer.

Be aware, the queues in DCA are made larger to handle wheelchairs. You should be able to create space in these lines for him to allow him to not feel closed in and allow "wiggle" room.

I hope you are able to take him, my son LOVED going to Disneyland, and it was rarely as hard as I expected.

4biegelboys
04-30-2009, 04:11 PM
I took my Autistic son to Disneyland when he was 5 and although I thought that he would have a hard time with the lines, he was OK for most of them. And we went in August. Fast passes can be your friend!! I brought things to keep him occupied that I could fit inside my fanny pack (yes I'm one of those!) A couple of different things that I could give him to pass the time. Now I am not sure how different these two are, but I would alternate rides with going to places where he can burn off a little steam. And If other people have a problem with him..so what, he can't help it. I wish people we not so judgemental. There may be a whole other story that you can't get by looking at a person. Anyway, I don't know how the special assistance pass works in DL. I may get one for DS when we go to WDW just in case he has problems, but never had in the past.
Thank you for teaching these wonderful children! It takes a special person to do that!

mckygirl99
04-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the advice! I frequent the parks weekly but this child lives in Anaheim and has never been! I want to take him but I want it to be an enjoyable experience for him. He does not have much parental support at home but he tries SO HARD!! He truly deserves this trip!

4biegelboys
05-01-2009, 06:10 AM
That is so sad. Some parents are embarrassed of their children's disability or have a hard time accepting them. It took me a little while to accept it, can't change the fact, so you do what you can to make their life and yours better! And sure he deserves a trip for all the hard work he's done. Good for you for acknowledging that. He is very lucky to have you! This student is likely to remember you his whole life!

Malcon10t
05-01-2009, 06:34 AM
You don't say how old he is. That could impact how he handles Disneyland. We started taking my son at a very young age, so he learned to handle things younger. He still had the occasional meltdown, (and still does, but they are funny now...) but we learned what worked for us.

mckygirl99
05-01-2009, 04:57 PM
He's 8. I am bringing my daughter since they are the same age. I am hoping they can play and she can serve as a bit of a distraction for him. She is excited to go with him!

Cheshire Figment
05-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Another possibility is getting a Guest Assistance Card that allows use of a stroller as if it were a wheelchair. Especially if you have a "special needs" stroller in which he will fit, this is a good option. This will allow you to take the stroller into lines where they would not normally be allowed (but wheelchairs/ECVs are allowed) and it will give him a "safe, protercted, area", especially if the stroller has a canopy.

adriennek
05-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Another possibility is getting a Guest Assistance Card that allows use of a stroller as if it were a wheelchair. Especially if you have a "special needs" stroller in which he will fit, this is a good option. This will allow you to take the stroller into lines where they would not normally be allowed (but wheelchairs/ECVs are allowed) and it will give him a "safe, protercted, area", especially if the stroller has a canopy.

For an 8-y/o with ADHD????

Adrienne

Crazy4DL
05-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the advice! I frequent the parks weekly but this child lives in Anaheim and has never been! I want to take him but I want it to be an enjoyable experience for him. He does not have much parental support at home but he tries SO HARD!! He truly deserves this trip!

No advice really but just had to say it is heartwarming to read about your desire to make this little ones life a little more magical.

Cheshire Figment
05-02-2009, 07:40 PM
For an 8-y/o with ADHD????

Adrienne
A lot of children with ADHD have similar problems as some with autism. They are all on the same spectrum. And it depends a lot on what the chiold's reactions are.

Malcon10t
05-02-2009, 07:55 PM
A lot of children with ADHD have similar problems as some with autism. They are all on the same spectrum.Actually, ADHD is NOT on the autism spectrum. It is possible to be ADHD and AS, but ADHD alone is not AS. (I have children of both.)

And neither my son (ADHD) nor my daughter (Aspie) would have tolerated a stroller at age 8.

4biegelboys
05-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Now see mine would love to be pushed in the stroller if I would let him!! SOmetimes i wish someone would push me in the stroller!;)

VickiC
05-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Neither would my two, and they are normal.

I'm thinking sitting still in a stroller would not be a good choice for ADHD. One of the modificaitons my kids' school made for kids with ADHD was to allow them to stand at a table and do their work, rather than sitting.

mckygirl99
05-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Just wanted to tell everyone how great our day was!! The park was so crowded but we were able to obtain a special card so we either bypass the lines or use fastpass. It was good b/c he had never been there before and he was COMPLETELY OVERWHELMED! He was so excited but with lines lasting over an hour there was no way he would have made it. We were able to do so much in 7 hours! He still hasn't stopped talking about it.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts!

Gilesmt
05-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Great to hear you had so much fun.

4biegelboys
05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
So glad you had a good time. It will be something he will remember for the rest of his life!