PDA

View Full Version : DCA 2009 Food and Wine Festival Reports

Pages : [1] 2 3

testrack
04-28-2009, 07:51 AM
This will just be a short snipet.

My husband and I and two friends and I attended the 2:30pm Robert Irvine (Dinner Impossible) Food Demonstration.

So what did Robert Irvine cook you ask? Filet Mignon with Lobster mashed potatoes.

We enjoyed the demonstration immensly and had lots of fun. Robert Irvine is quite the funny guy.

Everyone who attended the demonstration received a sample of the dish. A small piece of filet mignon and mashed potatoes. I did not eat my sample as I do not like fish but my husband said his sample and mine were extremely good and our friends enjoyed theirs too.

Was well worth the 2 hour wait in line to see.

Mr.Abominable
04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
On Saturday we visited the Lounge at Golden Vine where had a riesling flight, cheese plate and the korean taco. Everything was good but the taces were quite overpriced for the portion size.

We also did both of the wine walks and the beer walk. I think these were well organized and had decent value. They did break out the self measuring pour spouts during our last walk so that brings the pour amount down a little. The wines and beers are well chosen and overall they offer good diversity.

We also ate the tamale and empenada from Cocina Cucamonga and they were tasty. I have to say that the entree portions are nice but they should still offer the tasting portion so that you can try more things.

Overall we are very happy with the looks of this year's event. We have attended several at EPCOT and are excited to see all of the expansions that DCA's event has been making. We will try quite a few things over the coming weeks and are looking forward to it!

stan4d_steph
04-28-2009, 09:58 AM
I highly recommend the hummus plate that is available at the Farmers Market. I had it twice over the weekend. The taboulleh salad was delicious and the veggies were fresh and perfect for dipping. It comes with two small Boudin breadsticks and is $7.49.

Jodi
04-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Can anyone tell me if they have the Cheddar Cheese soup available on the wharf this year?

I got some last year, and it was like the soup at Epcot's LeCellier, and could go a long way in easing my WDW withdrawal symptoms!

stan4d_steph
04-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Can anyone tell me if they have the Cheddar Cheese soup available on the wharf this year?

I got some last year, and it was like the soup at Epcot's LeCellier, and could go a long way in easing my WDW withdrawal symptoms!Yes, it's available at the Pacific Wharf Cafe for $9.49.

A list of the special menu items is in today's MousePlanet Disneyland Park Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/8818/Disneyland_Resort_Update).

testrack
04-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Yes it is being served at the Pacific Wharf Cafe.

Also if you read the current updates for D-land. Mouseplanet was kind enough to give a menu of what foods are being served and where.

I went to the information booth to see if I could get a copy of what was being served where and was refused. I was a tad bit disgruntled.

VickiC
04-28-2009, 10:13 AM
I loved the mini bowl of soup last year, but a full serving, yikes, too rich for me.

Jodi
04-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info! (and I'm happy that it's a full serving. Heck, they could serve it in a gallon bucket and I'd be happy, as long as I got some extra bread to dip in it!)

And if I time it right, I could get it while DH is doing the beer walk, and then I wouldn't have to share! :)

disney_leonard
04-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Re: Cheddar Ale Soup

I didn't try it but my DD and her DH did. They have had it at EPCOT and last year at DCA. But on Sunday they said it was awful. At first they took it back because when just looking at it they thought the CM made a mistake and gave them clam chowder. "No, that's it". Upon tasting it they said all they could taste was bacon. Lots of bacon. No cheese flavor or even ale. My guess is that someone botched that batch. Normally it's very good. A little rich for a full serving in a bread bowl but for sharing OK.

yenko427
04-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Do you need to sign up for the beer walk ahead of time?

disney_leonard
04-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Do you need to sign up for the beer walk ahead of time?

No. You just buy a ticket at the start of the walk. As they give you your beer they stamp the "passport".

FunMom
04-30-2009, 07:46 PM
The OP mentioned waiting in line for 2 hours to see a food demo. Is the wait for most demos 2 hours? I'm a foodie and cook a lot, so I was looking forward to checking out the F&W while in town in a couple weeks but I can't imagine waiting 2 hours for a demo...

Is there some Food & Wine strategy to employ similar to how we often strategize avoiding ride lines at DL?

disney_leonard
04-30-2009, 07:59 PM
The OP mentioned waiting in line for 2 hours to see a food demo. Is the wait for most demos 2 hours? I'm a foodie and cook a lot, so I was looking forward to checking out the F&W while in town in a couple weeks but I can't imagine waiting 2 hours for a demo...

Is there some Food & Wine strategy to employ similar to how we often strategize avoiding ride lines at DL?

They start passing out cards or tickets about two hours before the scheduled time. For some celebrity chefs people start lining up three or four hours before the time. Once you have a card you fill the queue line. You or someone in your party must stay in the queue to hold your place (as I understand it). Someone can leave to go to the bathroom, get a drink or snack, etc. but they don't want everyone to wander off once the queue is filled. At least that is way it worked for a Beer and Spirit talk on Sunday.

Tisha
05-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I went on Friday (opening day) and waited 2 hours for Robert Irvine. Later that same day I went a demo about 40 minutes before it started and got in, though the line was already long.

On Wednesday you could pretty much show up at the last minute and make a demo. They weren't even giving out tickets until 30 minutes before start time.

I guess it depends on the day (I would say expect to wait at least an hour Fri-Sun) and whether it's a celebrity chef or something.

I also think that the fact that the food demo stage is now so central is making more people aware of the event.

I have one question: What are the kitchen conversations? The guide never gives you more info, so it seems a little general to go wait for. Is there a way to find out what a certain time will be about? Do they ever give food samples at these?

VickiC
05-02-2009, 08:49 PM
At the info booth they had topics for each of the kitchen conversations for the day, but only for that day, not all week.

AVP
05-03-2009, 06:21 AM
I have one question: What are the kitchen conversations? The guide never gives you more info, so it seems a little general to go wait for. Is there a way to find out what a certain time will be about? Do they ever give food samples at these?They are much smaller talks, usually with Disneyland Resort chefs, with subjects like "Fresh herbs & spices" and "becoming a chef." There are no samples, and the schedule for the day is posted each morning.

AVP

testrack
05-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Click on the link below to see pics.

Will comment about the weekend later. But will say Cat Cora was AWESOME!!!!

http://flickr.com/welcome/example/

testrack
05-04-2009, 12:18 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38027623@N04/

This is the correct link to Food and Wine Pics. I am such a doof. Sorry all

testrack
05-04-2009, 12:33 PM
In reference to the Food that we tasted this weekend.

The Chicken Panzarotti served at Pizza Oom Mow Mow I give it a 10 but they need to work on the bread stick. Price seemed fair for the portion.
The Chicken Tamales served at Cucina Cucamonga good I give it a 9 not bad for the price.
The Trio of Sliders Served at the Cove Bar I give a 7 and is WAY OVER PRICED for the portion.
Cat Cora demonstration was great. She made shrimp with chimichurri sauce (green sauce) and vegetable. I don't eat fish but everyone said it was awesome. The yogurt and berries with coconut were simple but good.
Peter Greenburg rice pudding. Forgot to take a pic of this I guess I was not awake yet.
Rice Pudding was OK, I am not a rice pudding fan.

Crazydave
05-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Did anyone do the "Introduction to Wine Tasting"?

I will be going next weekend.. but I am interested to hear about others' expericences.

disney_leonard
05-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Did anyone do the "Introduction to Wine Tasting"?

I will be going next weekend.. but I am interested to hear about others' expericences.

If you are referring to the "Beginning Wine Education Class", yes. (So fancy with the titles.) Michael Jordan is fantastic. He is a Master Sommelier but explains everything in easy to understand language that puts everyone at ease. I am (was) totally ignorant about wine. Back in the day I drank the stuff out of the box because it was cheap. I decided to step up my knowledge and what an eye opener. I will never be able to tell where a wine comes from down to the region of a country but I already appreciate the differences and history of wine. I highly recommend this experience.

KarenW2
05-10-2009, 12:10 PM
It was finally time for my hubby's turn at the NR Cooking School yesterday! We decided to have just him sign-up for it, since it would involve all day standing (which I can't do), wines paired with the 4 courses of the meal they made (I'm not much of a wine drinker, just sweet whites I like, or champagne), and the cost was $450 each! Instead of driving up with him and having to waste time, wheeling myself in my wheelchair, I opted to stay home and have him just drive up and back.

The schedule says the class runs from 10-1, but it actually ran til about 2:30 or so! He came home VERY excited about his experience and said even tho it's the most expensive cooking class he's ever taken, he really had a good time. Each of the "students" received a Napa Rose Cooking School chef's jacket (plain white with the wording embroidered, but no logo patch like the real chefs wear), a really nice, full color spiral bound cook book (it lays flat, which makes it great to work from!) of those recipes made in the class, as well as recipes from the past cooking schools offered. The recipes included many of our favorite offerings at NR, so we were happy to get those!

In his class, with some variations in all of the recipes, Chef Andrew made Glorious Tomatoes (best of season's Heirloom with Basil, Applewood Smoked Bacon and Point Reyes Blue Cheese) and the pastry chef (DH thinks his name was Mario) made the Scharffen Berger Chocolate Pate with Candied Hazelnut Cream (they use a paint sprayer to put the chocolate/chocolate butter mixture on the pate!). The class made the Skillet-Roasted NY of Beef (smothered with Coastal Mushrooms) and the Snapper Vera Cruz (with California Mission Style Relish of Tomatoes, Cilantro Jalapeno, Pine Nuts and slivered green olives).

One of the last times we ate at the Chef's Counter (the only place we dine when we go there!), we told CA that DH was signed up for the class and he asked us what he would like to learn while there. DH told him sauces and it ended up that was what they covered! That was so nice of him.

DH said they had no "down time", all class time was filled doing lots of things, cooking, learning CA's methods and enjoying their 4 course meal with paired wines. He said Dondi, one of the servers, went over wine information. DH asked CA if he and Michael Jordan ever go over creating dishes to pair with the wines and he said they did, and in fact, they also go the other way, find recipes to use the wine for.

There was a Photopass photographer there, taking photos of everyone during the various aspects of the class and there are 88 photos up on the website, 13 of which he's in. But at their exorbitant price of $14.95, just to download each photo, I don't know if we'll be buying any of them. We were both shocked the photos would cost so much!! Is there any way to get them cheaper than that?

All in all, he had a great time, came home with a new chef's jacket he can wear when his other one is in the wash and spent yesterday til today (it takes a good day's time for it to set-up!) he's making me my favorite NR dessert, the chocolate pate, to go with the Beef Wellington's he's making me for "Wife's Day", our alternative to "Mother's Day", since I'm only a "mother" to our 2 Tabby cats.

Did anyone else here take the NR Cooking School class? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience as well!

Sansarc
05-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Wow, what an amazing meal. Err.. class! And aren't you lucky that you have the notebook with the recipes! Now you can add to the notebook, too, if you take another class at some point. What a cool thing to do! The food sounds incredible there, plus it seems like they covered a variety of dishes. Not every dish sounded time-consuming to make at home. Yet, he learned some special dishes, too -- like the chocolate pate and the beef Wellington. Party dishes! Thanks for sharing all the details about the class and the food. And don't say you're not a mom!!! Your cats are part of your family. You ARE the mom!!

cannondale
05-10-2009, 01:19 PM
That is so cool! How do you sign up and how do you know when it is offered? I am going with my family this Thanksgiving Break and my Dad and husband would LOVE to do that! Any help would be great :)

cstephens
05-10-2009, 02:51 PM
That is so cool! How do you sign up and how do you know when it is offered? I am going with my family this Thanksgiving Break and my Dad and husband would LOVE to do that! Any help would be great :)

So far, it's been a class that's only been offered in conjunction with the Food and Wine festival, so it won't be offered in November.