PDA

View Full Version : Best Park for first evening?

jessmitchell98
04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi all...

We arrive on a Friday (4th) afternoon to the Airport at about 2 pm - we're assuming we'll be checeked in by 4 and then we can head off to one of the parks, perhaps for dinner and a couple of late evening rides....

Magic Kingdom is out - that is a NSSHP night. And I think I recall someone telling me that AK closes very early. That leaves Epcot and the Studios... Which would you pick? My kids, btw, will be 4 and 8 at the time. The 8 year old has done Disney several times, and wasn't real fond of the "World" side of Epcot.

Another option, I guess, would be Downtown Disney. Maybe eat down there somewhere?? Maybe Rainforest Cafe? Any suggestions?

If nothing else, we'll eat at Boma, hang out at the pool, watch the animals and get to bed as early as we can to be at MK for rope drop...

Jessica

Drince88
04-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I would do either Epcot or DTD, or just AKL. Oh, if you're arriving on a Friday, it's been PM EMH at Epcot for quite a while - so that might cause me to exclude that one (with your kids' ages). Just because it's so crowded early on in the EMH time, and you'll not be staying until after the crowds die down.

Also what time are you getting up that morning? If super early, I'm a big fan (with small kids) of laying low and getting an early to bed night.

mkraemer
04-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi all...

We arrive on a Friday (4th) afternoon to the Airport at about 2 pm - we're assuming we'll be checeked in by 4 and then we can head off to one of the parks, perhaps for dinner and a couple of late evening rides....

Magic Kingdom is out - that is a NSSHP night. And I think I recall someone telling me that AK closes very early. That leaves Epcot and the Studios... Which would you pick? My kids, btw, will be 4 and 8 at the time. The 8 year old has done Disney several times, and wasn't real fond of the "World" side of Epcot.

Another option, I guess, would be Downtown Disney. Maybe eat down there somewhere?? Maybe Rainforest Cafe? Any suggestions?

If nothing else, we'll eat at Boma, hang out at the pool, watch the animals and get to bed as early as we can to be at MK for rope drop...

Jessica

First, I can't tell from your posting how long your travel time will be, so I don't know how tired your kids will be when they arrive. I think it's smart to *not* have tickets for the Halloween Party on the evening of your arrival, just in case you have some delays.

If you need something to fill a little time, the minigolf onsite (Fantasia Gardens and Winter Summerland) might be *just* the ticket for your family.

I'd also think about the Rainforest Cafe (always a hit with my kids) or the new T-Rex restaurant, which is run by the same company as Rainforest Cafe.

Another idea is to go to the Luau at the Polynesian Resort and perhaps your timing will work to see the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom.

An early bedtime for a bright and early Magic Kingdom day would be a great idea!

Greg in TN
04-27-2009, 01:12 PM
If you didn't want to do a park, you could do the character dinner @ Chef Mickey's. Very Disney-ish, so you KNOW you're @ the World. And the kids can get a lot of the autograph-thing (if you do that) out of the way before you hit the MK.

Ride the monorail around for a bit, then turn in early for a great morning @ MK the next day :)

One problem with this is, you're within sight of the MK. Will your kids be able to by-pass it, with the prospect of visiting in the morning ? ;)

WdwGurl4life
04-27-2009, 04:07 PM
The second trip of may.. we are arriving at 7:20pm.. hotel by 9ish.. We are going to relax and maybe go to DTD.. I would say.. just play it by ear.. have some idea what you want to do, but once you get to the hotel, see how everyone is feeling. Then you can decide what is best for everyone!

jessmitchell98
04-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Our flight leaves pittsburgh just before noon, its direct to orlando. We arrive just before 2 on 9/4.

So the kids will be up and moving from probably 8 am on.

As for being within visual distance to MK - my daughter has never been there, and Cindy's house is quite a draw for her. My son has done this before so he knows the drill. The day after we arrive is his birthday, so we're doing Boma for breakfast, MK all day, Chef Mickeys for his birthday dinner... So I'd prefer to not be near MK - I want to make sure my daughters first glimpse of Main Street is on film!

I am leaning more towards DTD. We wanted to do the Rainforest Cafe with the kids anyway. It was the one meal we figured we'd pay for that wasn't on the DDP. So maybe that, a stroll around, and then head back for a night of relaxing. Early to bed, early to rise the next day, as thats when the real fun begins!

Thanks for all the advice!

Jessica

NiarrNDisney
04-30-2009, 11:45 PM
I would go with Epcot for a couple reasons!
1) it stays open later
2) I always find it hard to see it all so on a half day like yours; I do a couple countries in WS and a few rides in FW
3) Since it will be a little later when you will be entering the park I'll bet you will be hungry, what better place than WS to get a bite to eat and a drink or two
4) Illuminations .
5) If you have some energy left you could always wonder around the Boardwalk or the other Epcot resorts for some nightlife and site seeing. There is always a magician, juggler or some other form of "Streetmosphere" around the Boardwalk for your entertainment.

dngnb8
05-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi all...

Jessica

I suggest pool side at your resort. Relax, wind down from the travel.

roosterroo
05-01-2009, 01:31 PM
we arrived mid afternoon last november from the uk so the plan was to stay up as late as possible to try and avoid jet lag. we did epcot plenty to see and do till about 9pm (2am uk time) although first ride was mission space (id never done it before and didnt know what to expect) when asked if i had enjoyed my trip by the ride op i told him it was horrible! stick to gentle things on first night. Also rode monorail to mk to see castle, dont feel like im there till ive seen castle.

mom22gls
05-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Our flight leaves pittsburgh just before noon, its direct to orlando. We arrive just before 2 on 9/4.

So the kids will be up and moving from probably 8 am on.

As for being within visual distance to MK - my daughter has never been there, and Cindy's house is quite a draw for her. My son has done this before so he knows the drill. The day after we arrive is his birthday, so we're doing Boma for breakfast, MK all day, Chef Mickeys for his birthday dinner... So I'd prefer to not be near MK - I want to make sure my daughters first glimpse of Main Street is on film!

I am leaning more towards DTD. We wanted to do the Rainforest Cafe with the kids anyway. It was the one meal we figured we'd pay for that wasn't on the DDP. So maybe that, a stroll around, and then head back for a night of relaxing. Early to bed, early to rise the next day, as thats when the real fun begins!

Thanks for all the advice!

Jessica

That actually sounds like a good plan, if you don't just decide to hang out at the hotel. If you are staying at the AKL, your hotel has lots of appeal for kids, and there are lots of activities right there. Last year, my kids, who are a bit older than yours, enjoyed an arts and crafts table near the kids' club; liked animal viewing from different vantage points (the bridge over the lobby, which leads to DVC villa rooms, is accessable to all guests, and often is a great veiwing point), as well as the observation area, and they even like hanging out at the arcade. A couple of hours at DD, for dinner and maybe playing at the Lego store, and a couple of hours swimming and exploring the resort, sounds relaxing and fun.

DayDreamer
05-08-2009, 10:14 AM
We had a similar situation. After we spent time shopping in DTD we went to check out the Boardwalk. We toured the Boardwalk resort, had some lunch at Big River Grill, went to ESPN Zone to play some games, went to Beaches and Cream for some awesome ice cream, toured the Beach and Yacht Club then took boat transportation around the lagoon. We had a great time and got so see and experience a lot. Great way to kick off the trip.

scoobydooby
05-08-2009, 01:45 PM
That actually sounds like a good plan, if you don't just decide to hang out at the hotel. If you are staying at the AKL, your hotel has lots of appeal for kids, and there are lots of activities right there. Last year, my kids, who are a bit older than yours, enjoyed an arts and crafts table near the kids' club; liked animal viewing from different vantage points (the bridge over the lobby, which leads to DVC villa rooms, is accessable to all guests, and often is a great veiwing point), as well as the observation area, and they even like hanging out at the arcade. A couple of hours at DD, for dinner and maybe playing at the Lego store, and a couple of hours swimming and exploring the resort, sounds relaxing and fun.

I am definately with this as the GREAT plan. For children that age the whole journey thing is exciting / exhausting / different. Then they have to get their heads around a new 'home'. Then, if you're at the AKL there are so many interesting things to see and do for an 8 and 4 year old and you are going to want them to go full pelt (as we ALL do as parents) on their first full day. It is only my opinion but I think it's a lot for children to deal with and I would just let them deal with all the fabulous offerings of AKL on arrival day, try to get an ADR at Boma for tea then be ready to start with gusto on your first full day. If your children are anything like mine they will 'need' to christen the hotel pool before the notion of parks can be fruitfully engaged with anyway!