PDA

View Full Version : Crowds on Sunday, April 26

Pages : [1] 2

disney_leonard
04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Wow! Today was first for me. I went to DCA for Food and Wine. Arriving about 3:00 p.m. I was surprised as I turned from Ball Road into a bottleneck of traffic. The lanes were merging to the right as the parking structure was full. Creeping along I finally made it to Simba. Since there were hundreds of cars behind me I'm sure Simba filled soon after as I was in row 23 near Katella. I spoke to several guests and CM's and the only reason they could come up with is that this was the first day since the two week Easter block out for So. Cal. AP's.

I have read about this during peak holiday periods but I have never experienced it myself.

cstephens
04-26-2009, 10:33 PM
We got there at about noon today and parked on an already-crowded Donald. Usually at that time, we should still be on Mickey or maybe starting Goofy. The lines to get on the trams were really long as well, and they were loading both sides.

Lots of people going into DCA. Lines for lots of the food places (Farmer's Market, Pacific Wharf Cafe, Cocina) were really long too. Even the tortilla tour had a humongous line for some reason.

We were surprised they were still on extended hours. DL's closing time was midnight, and DCA's was 10pm.

personnext
04-27-2009, 01:02 AM
We were surprised they were still on extended hours. DL's closing time was midnight, and DCA's was 10pm.

That is the norm for FrSaSu most of the year, even off-season, though some Sundays do see 11PM/9PM.

The park was crowded today because it was the first weekend since March 29th that SoCal APs were unblocked.

olegc
04-27-2009, 07:28 AM
we were playing MouseAdventure Basic - but noticed the volume of people coming to the park was pretty constant all day long until about 7pm. It was very strange - and it was not all passholders, since the ticket lines at the booths at 5:30pm were quite long - going through several switchbacks. Maybe it was the birthday/monthly AP thing - but with 40-70 min waits on the major rides, and breakdowns throughout the day (splash all day) the volume of walkways was VERY large.

cstephens
04-27-2009, 07:28 AM
That is the norm for FrSaSu most of the year, even off-season, though some Sundays do see 11PM/9PM.

Sundays DL open until midnight and DCA until 10pm the norm? Ummm, no, not in the time that I've been going, unless Monday is a holiday of some sort.

ryanvalle
04-27-2009, 09:29 AM
I arrived yesterday quite early for MA and thought the park was quite empty at the time of arrival. No line for parking. Clear pathways. Quick tram ride.

But that was at 8:30 am, so that was probably normal.
Upon leaving, I saw cars parked in the queue areas for the parking booths. Normal for a very busy day.

But thinking about it, a lot was going on at the parks to bring in the crowds.
1. MouseAdventure...
2. Food and Wine festival's first open weekend
3. End of blackout periods for lots of AP holders
4. Weather was nice
5. Mice Chat was holding their gumball rally practice

Just a lot of events which drew in the crowd. There was also a media event on friday so I dont know if there were some media people also staying in town to spend the whole weekend in park.

DisneyDustin22
04-27-2009, 10:13 AM
DCA was a little nuts yesterday. Lots of rude people it seemed too. Did anyone else notice this? I think the crowds were a bit overwhelming for everyone, including the CM's. Took me almost 45 min (at 2pm) to get lobster nachos and the server was really a not so nice word I can't say on here.

personnext
04-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Sundays DL open until midnight and DCA until 10pm the norm? Ummm, no, not in the time that I've been going, unless Monday is a holiday of some sort.

Absolutely the norm, at least for Disneyland at midnight.

Between April 2008 and March 2009, Disneyland closed at midnight on 40 Sundays, or 77% of the year.

shna
04-27-2009, 10:47 AM
We know a CM, who said that they expected big crowds yesterday because of Food & Wine. The attendance for DCA's Food & Wine festival has been growing by leaps and bounds -- a big part of the reason DCA is open later than many of us are used to. Apparently, DLR has been expanding their hours as the crowds keep coming in.

When we went into DCA after MA, the place was still quite well-populated, but lines were not horrible. Soarin' was posted at 45 minutes; Screamin' was posted at 25 minutes, and Toy Story was posted at 45 minutes (though we were on in a little over 30).

Niwel
04-27-2009, 10:50 AM
One of teams at MA yesterday reported that the line for Big Thunder was 3 1/2 hours. You'll all be happy to know that we called -- the largest-size line it can hold is 45 minutes :D

But the crowds were, in general, quite large all over. :eek:

june1st1997
04-27-2009, 11:24 AM
DH and I were at DLR Saturday night (without Miss A) and it was a ZOO. Insane. We got in DLR around 8:40. It took us almost an hour to get food.

It's been a lifetime since I ate dinner after 6:30. I had no idea a majority of food places closed at 9pm. And the CM's at the door of French Market said... "We're closed. We close at 9." Not " most places will close at 9". So DH and I wandered the park looking for food. Ended up at Bengal BBQ. Ate a Safari Skewer. Got on Pirates at 10. Stopped to get a caramel apple for the ride home and got to the car at 11pm.

If we both had passes I would have felt differently. But we bought DH's single park ticket and had to pay the babysitter.

I will never do that again.

cstephens
04-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Took me almost 45 min (at 2pm) to get lobster nachos and the server was really a not so nice word I can't say on here.

We got there maybe around 1:30 or so and were there for about an hour and a half/two hours because the kitchen was so incredibly slow. The nachos actually didn't take as long to arrive but that was the second half of our order. The first half of our order took forever, as did simple things like getting water and a knife. Server was nice enough and apologized once for the delay in her coming to take our order, but no comment about anything else after that.

Were there two of you sitting at one of the cocktail tables? We (three of us) were on that side, by the kitchen door, and there was a couple sitting next to us who ordered the nachos.

fairestoneofall
04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
DCA was a little nuts yesterday. Lots of rude people it seemed too. Did anyone else notice this? I think the crowds were a bit overwhelming for everyone, including the CM's. Took me almost 45 min (at 2pm) to get lobster nachos and the server was really a not so nice word I can't say on here.

We had the lobster nachos Saturday afternoon around 1:30. It took them a really long time to come out as well. We didn't say anything b/c we were not in a hurry. They were delicious, however.

mrsdisney68
04-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Lobster Nachos where do I get these???

Toocherie
04-27-2009, 12:26 PM
was that at Cove Bar? We had service issues there on Saturday around 1:30. They took forever and then left out one order. Took a bear of a time getting it. Food was good--sliders were delicious- although the pork and beef were better than the lobster.

DisneyDustin22
04-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Were there two of you sitting at one of the cocktail tables? We (three of us) were on that side, by the kitchen door, and there was a couple sitting next to us who ordered the nachos.

We were a few tables in. Maybe 3 or 4 from the door. Near where the seats start at the bar. We got there and 10 min went by and the server never stopped at our table. So I went to the bar and stood for another 5 min or so. Finally got the barkeep's attention and said I'd like 4 waters and the nachos. She said no problem but did say it would be a little wait b/c they were busy. Which I figured was like maybe 15...20min tops. That time went by and nothing, not even the waters. So we got back up b/c at this point we, and the 2 kids with us, were hungry! The barkeep said she didnt even remember taking my order. And it got to the point where she looked like she was going to acuse us of just walking in and claiming we ordered something when in fact we never did. But then the lightbulb went off and she kind of went, wait, you were at the bar and ordered waters too right? and I said, yes and could we get those please? bout 5 min later the nachos came out, but they were about half as big as we had once before. Keep in mind the server, NEVER once stopped at our table. A woman who was getting up to leave when we originally sat down told me to go to the bar b/c the service was really slow. But I figured I'd give the server the benefit of the doubt. Oh well...:eyeroll: I think the problem was they had one server for all of the what, 13 or so tables they have in there? 1 server for the tables and I counted 4 bartenders at one point.

DisneyDustin22
04-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Lobster Nachos where do I get these???

Cove Bar in DCA. Just walk in throu Ariel's Grotto. They're a must have at least once!

But maybe go at an off normal dining hour. ;)

TowerofTerror
04-27-2009, 05:30 PM
HOW MUCH did they cost. I want to get Lobsters nachos nexdt time i go to DCA

fairestoneofall
04-27-2009, 05:41 PM
The lobster nachos are very affordable. A large plate that my DH and I split for lunch....only $11.

Netalff
04-27-2009, 06:08 PM
We went on Sat. around noon, took a Subway sand. to the picnic area because we knew it was busy. It was school band day, and some paraded down main street. DLR was packed with groups of kids in school tee shirts. Thanks to our knowledge of the shops and back areas, and where the crowds will be, we made it through quickly. Pirates line went fast, but the line for the train was packed. A corn dog at the little red wagon solved the snack problem, and a blended moca latte from the bakery topped it off. Also it's just not the same at the bar without the water down below, but it will return soon? About the slow service some of you had, remember, DL corp. is saving money, and restaurant CM's were some of the first to be reduced. :rolleyes:

MKY4ME
04-27-2009, 06:42 PM

weekly open 10-8, friday 9-12am, sat, sun -8-12am.

Boo's Mommy
04-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Yup, this past weekend was super crazy for a Sunday! It was sooooo crowded, I only saw about 5 MA teams.

Tinkermommy
04-28-2009, 06:01 AM
The last two Sundays we've been there have been super crowded. (These weren't the past two Sundays.) Both times, we arrived early afternoon; both times, the entrance to M&F was backed up about as far as we've seen it. One of those days, it took us almost 45 minutes from Ball Road to parking space. :eek: Both times, the ticket windows had lines as long as they do in the morning and once, Guest Services had an extraordinarily long line.

I've been thinking that with the economy the way it is, maybe locals are not only taking advantage of the birthday and other promotions, but also skipping vacations and instead buying annual passes. I suspect the monthly payment option is giving people even greater incentive to do so. I'm wondering if a lot more people than usual have purchased SoCal and Deluxe passes, which have many Saturdays but not as many Sundays blocked, and if that is why Sundays seem so much crazier than usual.

This is just speculation based upon my admittedly limited observations. I think we'll try to stick to Saturdays and early arrivals for the time being and see how that goes.

maxxm
04-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know what they do for people with parking passes when the M&F structure is full? Do they honor the pass in other lots or do you have to pay?

We ended up in the Downtown Disney lot Sunday (for less than 3 hours) out of fear of having to pay.

disney_leonard
04-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Does anyone know what they do for people with parking passes when the M&F structure is full? Do they honor the pass in other lots or do you have to pay?

We ended up in the Downtown Disney lot Sunday (for less than 3 hours) out of fear of having to pay.

On Sunday when I had to park in Simba they were not even stopping cars to check passes or collect money. I guess that is a benefit for those who would normally have to pay.