PDA

View Full Version : Prince Makeover?

rfaljean
04-24-2009, 01:08 PM
I'll be taking my kids (17, 15, 10, 5 & 3) to Disneyland in a little less that 2 wks (I can't wait!!) and I thought my 2 little boys (5 & 3) would enjoy the prince makeover. Has anyone done this yet? Can you tell me what the sword and shield are like?

Thanks in advance.

fairestoneofall
04-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Not sure about the sword and sheild, but if it's anything like WDW then it's a style with colored hair gel and some confetti or something....Not really my cup of tea and I have two boys. BUT it may be totally different.

Animalia
04-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Based on the promotional photos I've seen, fairestoneofall is correct. They put gel in the boys hair and give it a spiked look and then paint it with colors. I'm not sure how spiked purple hair equals "Prince" but I guess the shield and sword make up for it a little. I don't know either what the shield and sword are like but the ones sold in the past at World of Disney where made of soft foam.

I've always felt little boys get short changed when it comes to stuff like this (Pixie Hollow, Princess Fantasy Faire) but at least they're attempting to include boys in this and if colored spiked hair puts a smile on the little guys face, I guess it's o.k..

Have a good time.

HobbitFeet
04-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I'd love to see which sword/shield is in the package. I think it's just going to be the foam "Prince Philip" ones, but if they let you get the other sort of "sword in the stone" sort of plastic sword that would be cool.

I don't get how spikey sprayed-Mickey-head makes a kid into something special either, but to be specific, it's a Knight's makeover, not Prince.

And I'm still thinking about signing DS up for it for his 5th b'day trip. :) Even if it's just the foam swords, which he has, they need to be replaced anyway (superglue doesn't work all that well on it, it turns out!).

Malcon10t
04-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Just to clarify, the Pirate makeover is in WDW, correct? While the "Prince" makeover is in DLR, right?

bennette
04-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Criminy. Okay, hopefully I've corrected this and all the "PRINCE" makeover posts are back in Disneyland and all the PIRATE makeover posts are back in DISNEYWORLD.

Sorry folks. I'm new.

Sansarc
04-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Just asked my 12 y/o if he'd consider a Prince make-over, even just the hair -- and he said, no. Or rather, he said something sarcastic -- "You're kidding me, right?" I'm sad now. Oh, well. I really thought he'd at least consider the hair gel, colored paint, confetti stuff since every single morning of his life, he sticks hair gel on, but no.

I agree, the Princess themes at DL and WDW are just overwhelming. And when we see the little girls dressed up as princesses in the park . . . there's something upsetting about that, too. Where ARE all of the princes for these little princesses? It's as if they're not encouraged to take part . . . which I know isn't true, but Disney kind of forgot about the princes. And you know, there IS always a prince in those movies . . . not just princesses!

One year -- last summer? -- they had Prince Narnia (that's his name, right?) in a parade. He was so handsome -- and he had a horse and a purple velvet outfit, and a sword -- that gave me hope. I can't think of any other time, or parade, though, when there was just a prince involved.

I hope the pirate thing is a success for them in WDW, and I hope I see some princes running around DL next weekend in their new costumes and hair gel!!

leota's necklace
04-26-2009, 05:36 PM
One year -- last summer? -- they had Prince Narnia (that's his name, right?) in a parade. He was so handsome -- and he had a horse and a purple velvet outfit, and a sword -- that gave me hope. I can't think of any other time, or parade, though, when there was just a prince involved.

::adjusts nerd glasses::

Narnia is the name of the country. Caspian is the name of the prince.

(Unless you're talking about the Pevensies, in which case they are Peter and Susan and Edmund and Lucy, the High Kings and Queens of Narnia.)

::nerd glasses::

I don't think Disney feels there is a market for dress-up play for little boys. Imagine the response they could get if they offered something like a Monsters, Inc. Makeover or Lost Boys or foam Chernabog horns along with a Prince makeover.

bennette
04-26-2009, 05:43 PM
I don't think Disney feels there is a market for dress-up play for little boys. Imagine the response they could get if they offered something like a Monsters, Inc. Makeover or Lost Boys or foam Chernabog horns along with a Prince makeover.

My nephew would go for one of those! Actually, if they had a Wall-e build-a-bot costume deal, we'd be broke.

Sansarc
04-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks, Leota!!! LOL!!! It must have been handsome Prince Caspian . . .!

3Princesses1Prince
04-27-2009, 08:42 AM
I know! My DDs will be sporting their princess costumes and I am trying to find something for DS to wear. Granted, he'll be 9 months old, but it would be sooooooooooo CUTE!!!

Drince88
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I know! My DDs will be sporting their princess costumes and I am trying to find something for DS to wear. Granted, he'll be 9 months old, but it would be sooooooooooo CUTE!!!

What time of year are you going? If one of your daughters did Cinderella - it'd be adorable to have your DS as Gus or Jaques, depending on his shape at the time!

leota's necklace
04-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Awwwwwwwwwww

:)

disneylandgirl
04-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks, Leota!!! LOL!!! It must have been handsome Prince Caspian . . .!

I thought Prince Caspian was a lion??? I've only seen the movie once, a long time ago... Am I wrong?

lizziemcguire76
04-27-2009, 03:12 PM
No the lion's name is Aslan and Caspian is a human prince who comes into it in the second movie:D

3Princesses1Prince
04-28-2009, 11:21 AM
What time of year are you going? If one of your daughters did Cinderella - it'd be adorable to have your DS as Gus or Jaques, depending on his shape at the time!

We are going in mid-Sept. It'll be too hot for a full costume. DH wants to dress him up as Buzz, but the poor boy will be too hot!

HobbitFeet
04-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Sometimes I bemoan how many things girls get to do...but then I think about my son. Give him a sword and a long thin piece of fabric, and he'll turn himself into Jack Sparrow. Give him a lightsaber and a blanket, and you couldn't convince him he's not a Jedi Knight if you paid him.

I know that when I was a kid, I had a nightgown that turned me into a princess, but of course I couldn't wear that out of the house. For "going out" dressup I would have needed something more official. But for my brother, a hat and a cap gun was insta-cowboy.

So I think that many boys just don't NEED all that extra official stuff...it's easy to be a cowboy...but you need a bit more to be a princess.

Regardless, it's a Knight package, not a Prince, at least the last time I checked the info. (crackin' myself up here about how much that's bugging me) Even though the sword/shield is very likely the Prince Philip foam set.

leota's necklace
04-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Psh. Need, nothing. DLR knows that parents are suckers for 1) the opportunity to buy shiny, frilly stuff for their girls and 2) photo ops. So they market the Princess thing relentlessly (every Disney ad has at least one adorable little girl in full official licensed kit meeting her Princess idol with her parents smiling in the background), trying to convince parents that Magic is something you can buy at the Disneyland Resort. And, of course, they sell the idea of being a Princess to the girls, so they will want Mom or Dad to buy them shiny stuff.

Little girls are perfectly capable of playing Princesses with a cardboard tiara. These ops are sold to their parents.

VickiC
04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
They haven't worked on me or my girls. Neither has asked for a princess makeover or dress, aside from as aHalloween costuem, and that was only one year. Both girls frequently comment now (ages 7 and 10) on how itchy the costuems they see other girls in look. Both would rather ride a roller coaster than chat with a princess.