PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland and DCA are for the birds!

odnamraortsac
12-30-2002, 03:59 PM
Why is it that I see Seagulls in DCA by Paradise Pier, but I donīt see them on the Rivers of America in Disneyland? Is the food better at DCA than in Disneyland? Or is it just Natureīs way that Ducks rule at Disneyland and Seagulls rule at DCA. And Pigeons rule on the streets of the Hollywood Backlot at DCA but not on Main Street in Disneyland. Why? Why? Why?

Dexter
12-30-2002, 04:06 PM
the seagulls aren't real, they are animatronic, it's part of the theming for Paradise Pier :~D

odnamraortsac
12-30-2002, 04:11 PM
Oh theyīre as real as can be. While I was contemplating this great bird mystery I was "bombed" by one of those Seagulls. And it wasnīt animatronic poo.

BJW
12-30-2002, 05:50 PM
I'm wondering if Disney places these birds there somehow. I'll bet they do the swans at Sleeping Beauty Castle. We know they place cats in the park to patrol for rats, so I guess it's possible.

ldsguy
12-30-2002, 06:46 PM
Well, it could be palcement or they may know that certain things attract certain birds, so as a result they place things in certain places to help atract the right types of birds for the area. But I doubt the Pigeons are intentional.

Rallymonkey23
12-30-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by ldsguy
Well, it could be palcement or they may know that certain things attract certain birds, so as a result they place things in certain places to help atract the right types of birds for the area. But I doubt the Pigeons are intentional.

I doubt they are intentional too. Just take a look at pigeon poo island in the middle of the water at DCA.

As far as birds at Disneyland, I arrived at Disneyland just before sunset and there were literaly hundreds of birds flying around Town Square. I thought I was in an Alfred Hitchcock movie for a few moments. Disneyland truely is magical. :D :cool:

And as far as the swans...... of course they have been placed there. ;)

HBTiggerFan
12-30-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Dexter
the seagulls aren't real, they are animatronic, it's part of the theming for Paradise Pier :~D

Hey!! I heard the same thing, on Friday while eating lunch on Pacific Warf!

blusilva
12-30-2002, 09:55 PM
It's funny, I was just having this discussion yesterday whilst hanging over the rail at Paradise Pier looking at the seagulls. We sort of concluded that the seagulls used to favor the old parking lot, too. You never saw them inside Disneyland proper, but the parking lot was their domain. Maybe they just decided that no matter what the humans put there, it's their turf, and hey, it's just kinda cool that the humans finally wised up and built them their own theme park!

Gemini Cricket
12-31-2002, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by blusilva
Maybe they just decided that no matter what the humans put there, it's their turf, and hey, it's just kinda cool that the humans finally wised up and built them their own theme park!
From what I hear, seagulls have a very good memory. At Hopkins, a lab in Monterey near the aquarium, there are tons of seagulls. There's a lab tech that works there that disturbed a nest by accident wearing a shirt that had a particular pattern. Suddenly, a couple of seagulls dived at his head... probably the nest parents. The next day he walked near the area, with different clothes on, and nothing happened... A year later, he wore the same shirt and walked by the area and the seagulls attacked him again. He was convinced they were the same two birds...
So, I think they do have a very good memory of what'd going on.

Also, they're incredibly smart birds. I remember hearing a story where some MIT students trained some seagulls to attack referees at a football game. They trained them to attack anyone wearing vertical black and white stripes... (that of course could be an urban legend... but oh well...)

Doodle Duck
12-31-2002, 09:02 AM
Sea Gulls are SEA birds not River Birds...Paradise Pier is a SEAside replica...so these birds being smarter than three clones of Paul Pressler recognize the value of accurate themeing.

That's one theory.

The other is these birds are no more than Flying RATS and the after hours DCA 'sharpshooters' are not as good a shot as those in DL.

or not.

odnamraortsac
01-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all the "bird" info. I certainly learned alot.

Don
01-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Armando Castro. Figured that one out. Phew.

odnamraortsac
01-03-2003, 12:07 PM
You are correct, Don! Or is it Nod?

Don
01-03-2003, 01:59 PM
It's rather boring. It's Don.

Matterhorn Fan
01-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by BJW
I'll bet they do the swans at Sleeping Beauty Castle. Gee, ya think?

RStar
01-03-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by DoodleDuck(A.E)
....so these birds being smarter than three clones of Paul Pressler

"":eek: "" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:D

Too funny!!!

Baloo
01-03-2003, 08:06 PM
I think we need to ask Guest relation this question or maybe one of the guides to see what answer they give.

But i have my theory. Most seagulls like open spaces where they can avoid large amounts of people and still be close to large water areas. Seeing that the Bay is quite large in size with minimal traffic on its water it porovides a great place for them. Also seagulls are scavengers and prefer to look for food near tha water area and large open spaces. If you notice carefa\ully most of the seagalls gather around the warf area were food is readily avialable next to the water.

Does anyone know how many spieces of birds make the Jungle cruise there home. Believe it or not they even had canaries live in this area. Disney once had a report for a missing canary from one of the guest that had his caged opened when they wre parked in the trailer/rv parking lot in front of Disneyland when the parking was close to the entrance. Disney actually went to the trouble of tracking down the canary that was seen flying into the jungle cruise area and actually caught the bird and was sent home to its owners.

odnamraortsac
01-04-2003, 11:52 AM
As mentioned by Rallymonkey 23 earlier in this thread, if you are in the Disney Resort at around sunset you will see hundreds of birds coming home to roost. These birds are mostly crows and their destination is the trees of the Jungle Cruise. I would say these crows make up the majority of the birds on the J.C., at least at night. However when I've ridden the Jungle Cruise at night, I have never heard them cawing. Maybe they're lulled to sleep by the Jungle Cruise spiel.