PDA

View Full Version : Hostility to HISTA?

hbquikcomjamesl
12-30-2002, 12:57 PM
On Christmas Day, (actually evening; it was already after 5 by the time we got there), searching for attractions that would not overstress my mother's neck, and that would give my father something to do besides "mart" and complain about the admission price, I took my parents to Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. It was actually the first time I'd seen it in several years (maybe 6 or 7!), and I'd forgotten how funny it was.

Having seen it recently, I'm rather surprised that (1) it doesn't draw a bigger crowd, and (2) I've rarely seen it mentioned here except with hostility.

Of course, it doesn't exactly hurt that (1) I'm a geek myself, and (2) I've had the hots for Marcia Strassman since her days as a regular on Welcome Back Kotter, and (3) having finally seen Imagination at Epcot, I rather like Eric Idle's "Nigel Channing" character. (Wouldn't it be nice to throw in a cameo by Figment?!?)

EandCDad
12-30-2002, 02:25 PM
I'm a big fan of HISTA, although I recognize that I'm in the minority. When I go, I find it to be reasonably crowded, but we don't go much anymore because it scares the bejesus out of our five year old.

If I had to guess about its unpopularity among the people who post here is the somewhat limited re-run value (once or twice a year is probably enough for that attraction) and it being a "film" which some people tend to not like very much.

mad4mky
12-30-2002, 02:32 PM
We don't go as often out here, because after seeing it at WDW several times...they then brought it out here (same as ITTBAB, and Muppets)...
Recycled attractions. We been there, done that already in FLorida. But, we did enjoy it the first few viewings out here...but after a while, my girls kept saying "not another movie"...:(

It gets old after a few times...

ldsguy
12-30-2002, 03:45 PM
I have my own reasons for not liking it, long story, but I personally agree that we need more original stuff here as well.

Kuzcotopia
12-30-2002, 10:51 PM
I call it
"Honey, I shoved a rat down your pants"

for obvious reasons.

I find it boring, with the only cool part the very enjoyable bouncing sensation.

The jokes aren't funny to me on repeat viewings (if they were funny at all), and I find the film too frightening. I much prefer the muppets, or even Captain Eo.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
12-31-2002, 09:08 AM
The 'illusion' that you are watching an actual stage is not very effective. Everyone knows it's a movie and kinda dull at that as the set stays the same the entire time. This concept is much better executed in Tough to Be a Bug.

I did enjoy Captain EO much more so than Honey I Shrunk the Audience. As far as 'films being dull and repeative' - it's all in the eye of the beholder. Do they change Splash or Pirates once and a while? Same animatronics there for decades....

There are certain types of people that enjoy good movies and will watch them over and over again. A really good film in a theme park should have a long life span as you can't view in your your home - thus extending it's reapatbliity factor.

I have the soundtrack to Captian EO (Micheal Jackson yells ' HOOTER!!!' a lot!) and it's very enjoyable to listen to still. I can't say I would do the same if i had the soundtrack for Honey I Shrunk the Audience (nor is there a following for such a thing..).

Kimi_Coconuts
12-31-2002, 11:34 AM
My kids cry whenever we go that cat is too scary. I don't like the mice running through the crowds it freaks me out, LOL.

Does anyone remember Magic Journeys? I liked that one a lot.

Gemini Cricket
12-31-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
I did enjoy Captain EO much more so than Honey I Shrunk the Audience.
Not to derail, but a CM said something funny to me once.

He said:
"Captain EO was great. Everything was in 3D except Michael's nose."

I thought that was very funny.

:D

Bill Catherall
12-31-2002, 12:00 PM
I like HISTA for it's effects and gags. But I find the movie painful to watch...in the physical sense. It really bothers my eyes for some reason. From the moment the "curtain" opens my eyes begin to water like crazy and they don't stop until I take off those glasses.

I never had this problem with Captain EO, Magic Journeys (which I loved), or even It's Tough to be a Bug.

I tried to figure out what it was and it seems that the image for the left eye is slightly out of focus. And I have perfect (actually better than 20/20) vision.

RStar
01-02-2003, 10:56 AM
I don't have 20/20, but I have noticed that I can't seem to quite focus on the film at HISTA as well. It doesn't bother me to the point it does you, Bill. I thought it was just me, I'm near sighted in my left eye.

I like the attraction, but like Star Tours (which is at least more exciting) it gets old after a while. I only go when I have someone with me who has never seen it or wants to see it again. I haven't been on either for at least a year.

MickeyD
01-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
I like HISTA for it's effects and gags. But I find the movie painful to watch...in the physical sense. It really bothers my eyes for some reason. From the moment the "curtain" opens my eyes begin to water like crazy and they don't stop until I take off those glasses.

I never had this problem with Captain EO, Magic Journeys (which I loved), or even It's Tough to be a Bug.

I tried to figure out what it was and it seems that the image for the left eye is slightly out of focus. And I have perfect (actually better than 20/20) vision.

OMG! I have the exact same problem! I always thought it was just me. My eyes get all watery, and it's tough to watch, and I end up with a headache by the end of it! I usually end up taking off the glasses and closing my eyes.

Don
01-03-2003, 09:16 AM
I've seen it twice, and it just left me cold. Admittedly though, since I can't see in 3-D due to an eye condition called Strabismus, many of the effects are lost of me. It was that way for EO as well.

However, my wife doesn't much care for it either and she CAN see in 3-D. Neither of us thought much of the film, certainly not enough to base an attraction on it. I always thought it was something to put in there because Michael Jackson was continuing to evolve into the absolute freak he is today and it was getting embarrassing having him as an attraction in the park.