PDA

View Full Version : more soup and salad?

olegc
04-21-2009, 08:00 AM
As mentioned on another site today - ODVs are much more busy than other restaurants in the park and the speculated plan is to open Harbor Galley early - but with inexpensive soup and salad...

Really?

NOS veranda - soups
French Market - new menu with soup/salads on them
Riverbelle - sandwiches, salads

How much less divergent can the menus get at Disneyland, particularly in one part of the park? are we that lazy that we can't walk down to an existing location to get the menu item? has someone from Merchandise/Plush sales taken over Foods? and - with soups and salads you need places to sit with a fork or a spoon - and there are not that many spaces at the Galley. The area is better suited to finger foods, drinks, small snacks.

Me thinks they need to re-evaluate that plan.

houseofmouse
04-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Me thinks you are correct! ;)

I remember when they used to sell those chowder bowls and such there. Then it was fries and soda.

They are probably trying to save money by selling the same food everywhere. Lazy on their part for sure.

AVP
04-21-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm going to cut them some slack right now given the kitchen situation with which they are working. Harbor Galley has no kitchen to speak of - there is room for some fryers and fountain equipment, and that's it. They aren't cooking there, they are re-heating.

With the main New Orleans Square kitchen down for a major and long-overdue renovation, anything being prepared for the new location will have to come from the same temporary kitchen being used for Blue Bayou, French Market, Cafe Orleans and the Royal Street Verandah. I'm not even remotely surprised they would want to limit the new menu to items that are either already being prepared for other locations, or that at least use the same ingredients.

I know many would like to see a return of chicken strips, fried shrimp, french fries and cheese sticks to Harbor Galley, and fried foods are about the only thing that kitchen can actually prepare. Personally, I wanted to see it turned into a funnel cake stand. That just isn't going to happen with the new "healthy foods" initiative, so soup and salad it is.

Oleg, I agree that they should consider how people will eat the food purchased from that location. I'd rather see grab-and-go items like a cut-fruit plate, cut-veggie tray and/or wrap sandwiches than a fork-and-knife dish like a salad. (Unless it's going to be a chopped salad, but even then you need to sit and eat it.)

AVP

Matterhorn Yodeler
04-21-2009, 10:16 AM
There used to be tables and chairs by the Harbor Galley, overlooking the river. Last time I was there, I noticed that they have been removed.

olegc
04-21-2009, 10:44 AM
There used to be tables and chairs by the Harbor Galley, overlooking the river. Last time I was there, I noticed that they have been removed.

i think that's because the smoking section is right nearby.. Maybe not the actual reason but I am sure it comes into play.

to AVP- I am REALLY surprised they don't just use a trans-fat free oil to cook french fries and shrimp - or if they must repeat Stage Door Cafe then do it - but if you plan to save money by not having a kitchen, would it not simply be better to buy more boxes of the preparred fried items and ship them over (where they probably have a freezer/fridge as well) each night, instead of trying to hussle over salads and soup stuff, and then try to keep that fresh on a standalone location? As I said - this is another example of sometimes management not thinking things all the way through - and it seems in the past it was Ops, then Merchandise, and now it's Foods turn. I hope nothing goes terribly wrong with that (like Pirates 2000, or other ops issues).

fairestoneofall
04-21-2009, 10:45 AM
OOOHhhhhhh!!! AVP wraps would be ABSOLUTELY wonderful! I would eat there regularly for sure. I always seem to be in NOS around lunch time and I don't care for the quick service options there. So, we end up at Cafe Orleans, which I love, but sometimes I don't want to shell out that kind of money. Or, if we're planning a sit down dinner we just want to grab something fast for lunch.

olegc
04-21-2009, 10:45 AM
BTW - slightly off topic - Kevin Yee over at MiceAge had a very interesting article on the Picnic in the Park offering at Animal Kingdom last week. Another great example of a cool idea gone really wrong.. Now that it's going to be "One Park" who knows what can happen..

cstephens
04-21-2009, 10:49 AM
I actually wish they had more soup options in the park. The veranda has chowder and gumbo, and Rancho has that REALLY EXPENSIVE tortilla soup. There are times I would love to have soup, but something other than chowder or gumbo or tortilla soup I'm not willing to pay extravagant prices for.

Tomorrowland Terrace used to have these amazing wraps using sundried tomato tortillas. We were really sorry to see those go.

olegc
04-21-2009, 10:55 AM
There are times I would love to have soup, but something other than chowder or gumbo or tortilla soup I'm not willing to pay extravagant prices for.

ah - there's the rub. you can either have what every other location serves for an OK price, or through the nose for something else. I think they don't offer a chicken soup or some other healthy broth-like soup because it does not seem like you should pay more for something like that (i am trying to put my mind in the same place as Foods management. Difficult, I know, but I am trying). My guess is that soup is not something they want expand on because operationally the quality goes down as the soup sits and is not sold (if that were to happen). It's only a guess but...

Hey - a new Disney Character - a Mickified Soup Nazi... Gourment soups and some good natured ribbing while you order...

soccerlady16
04-21-2009, 09:42 PM
where is Harbor Galley?

cstephens
04-21-2009, 09:49 PM
where is Harbor Galley?

It's the shack right next to where the Columbia is docked when it's not in service - kinda by where Haunted Mansion is.

underthesea1987
04-21-2009, 09:58 PM
I would love it if they had other chowder options then clam. Not everybody can eat clams!!

foolishmortal
04-21-2009, 10:46 PM
I would love it if they had other chowder options then clam. Not everybody can eat clams!!

Thank you from another sea food banned person!!!

My Dh misses the beef stew and stew gets better with sitting. Plus they could put it back in the bread bowl!!
Wraps are nice, and a nice fruit bowl would be good.
I'd love to see chicken and chips and fish and chips for the kids.(as long as they had separate oils) AND HUSH PUPPIES!!!!:fez:

AVP I'd be first to vote for a funnel cake place! yummy!
:fez:

I'd gladly become a "newest" addition to the HM if they would bring back our beloved FM menu! It was our happy haunting place. It's just a hazard for me now.

Ok....Ok... sorry for the above sad jokes!:p

ChurroGirl
04-21-2009, 10:49 PM
If they had a good cheddar potato chowder that could be great!!!

Malcon10t
04-22-2009, 07:24 AM
They had corn chowder in DCA.

Jodi
04-22-2009, 09:52 AM
The corn chowder in DCA is pretty good, I wouldn't mind getting that in DL.

I'm wishing that if they are going to bring more soup, they would bring the cheese soup from LeCellier in Epcot.

Best. Soup. Ever.

DizneyMommy
04-24-2009, 04:52 PM
I just really hope if they start serving food there that really necessitates sitting down (have you ever walked while eating soup? :eek:) that they have the presence of mind to MOVE THE SMOKING SECTION. Preferably OUT of the park entirely. Isn't there already another one right next to the NOS train station exit? Who wants to sit next to that and eat - especially with kids?

Malcon10t
04-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Isn't there already another one right next to the NOS train station exit? Who wants to sit next to that and eat - especially with kids?No, that is NOT a smoking area, but some use it that way.