PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland is Canceling Our APs! ANGRY! [Issue with monthly payment resolved]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jeffthechef
04-20-2009, 10:54 PM
I just got a letter in the mail today from Disney stating that the monthly payment plan that was offered to us back in December is null because we do not live in So Cal! They told us we could have our credit card charged monthly as opposed to having to pay the balance back in December. So, after making payments for the last five months, they are now telling us that the offer was only for certain ZIP codes and we are excluded and it was their mistake. We now have until May 1st to use them, and then they will no longer be valid :eek:

So, we have been saving for months so we can go in the summer for about 5 days, and now they are telling us that our APs are worthless! I cannot even begin to say how mad i am right now! What's worse is that I paid cash for my son's, so now we will have one passport for the family? There is also nothing in the letter offering options such as paying the balance off so they will be able to run their course:crying:

Has anyone else received this letter?

ChurroGirl
04-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Thats crazy!! I am so sorry Jeff. I wonder if you call, explain the situation and ask if you could pay the balances of whats left over.

I hope everything gets straightened out before your trip and that it does work out for you!

TowerofTerror
04-20-2009, 11:13 PM
THAT TOTALLY SUCKS. well maybe u can have them do something for u like pay the remaing balance

Sosai X
04-21-2009, 01:24 AM
* Monthly Payments valid only for Southern California residents living in Zip Codes 90000-93599. Subject to restrictions and change without notice.

It's at the bottom of the AP page. It was a mistake on their part. I would call Guest Relations and explain the situation to them. Disney made the mistake, and they should make good with you.

K & S
04-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Did you misrepresent where you live when you entered into the payment plan contract?

If not I'm hard pressed to understand how they can use information they had at the time the contract was made to break it six months after the fact.

davebert4
04-21-2009, 06:58 AM
we got the same letter yeasterday. We bought 4 premium passes during Christmas 2008, and at the suggestion of the ticket lady, we signed up for monthly payments. I had never heard of it and would not have signed up if they had not mentioned it. As far as them knowing where I live, they checked my ID (95648 zip code) and when I filled out the address for the passes, I put my address (95648 zip code). :mad:

davebert4
04-21-2009, 07:00 AM
quick note though, it does not say that the pass will be cancelled, just that the monthly payments will be (and presumably you will be charged the full amount). It says on the letter something to the effect that "the pass will remain valid till the date printed on the pass"

Toocherie
04-21-2009, 07:05 AM
I would definitely call Guest Relations--I can't believe DL wouldn't "fix" this somehow--even if you end up having to pay the balance. Especially for the person who was "talked into" the monthly payments by the person at the ticket booth.

jeffthechef
04-21-2009, 07:55 AM
I called guest relations and they cleared it up. The monthly payment plan is only supposed to be for So Cal residents. They are going to stop billing me on May 1st, but the passes will be good until their original expiration date. They are not charging me for the difference:eek:

Yes, you read it correctly-- a discount from Disney!

ryanvalle
04-21-2009, 08:02 AM
THAT IS SOOO LUCKY OF YOU!!!

i love how one slight misunderstanding can make you angry when you're supposed to realy be quite happy haha.

i guess its part of the magic haha

pixar
04-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Wow, talk about turning an angry person to a happy person! Hopefully davebert4 gets the same fantastic deal.

fairestoneofall
04-21-2009, 08:09 AM
What a surpirsingly pleasant outcome for someone who was originally angry. LOVE to hear stories like that!

newhdplayer
04-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Very nice.

Darkbeer
04-21-2009, 09:02 AM
WOW, I am very surprised.... Glad to see Disney finally clarify the issue (can you and not), as many folks were frustrated with the "what is the policy this minute?" issue.

Looks like the lawyers decided that the contract was NOT valid, and had to stop enforcing it (due to the zip code clause). Heck, you might be able to go to court and collect your prior payments, but then again, the lawyer fees would cost WAY too much!

Darkbeer
04-21-2009, 09:03 AM
WOW, I am very surprised.... Glad to see Disney finally clarify the issue (can you and not), as many folks were frustrated with the "what is the policy this minute?" issue.

Looks like the lawyers decided that the contract was NOT valid, and had to stop enforcing it (due to the zip code clause). Heck, you might be able to go to court and collect your prior payments, but then again, the lawyer fees would cost WAY too much!

ryanvalle
04-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Heck, you might be able to go to court and collect your prior payments, but then again, the lawyer fees would cost WAY too much!

Personally, even if there were no lawyer fees, i think that taking this to court and try to get the rest of your money back AND keep your AP valid would just be plain evil...

Darkbeer
04-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Personally, even if there were no lawyer fees, i think that taking this to court and try to get the rest of your money back AND keep your AP valid would just be plain evil...

Heck, IMHO, many lawsuits in the courts are just wrong and EVIL... I was trying to make a point, and that is that it looks like the Disney Lawyers saw an issue with "NorCals" being issued the "Retail Installment Contract" to those folks not living in the right Zip Codes.

Should I commend Disney for waving the amount due on those folks?... Partially yes, but mainly no. I think (once again, IMHO) that the Lawyers are FORCING the issue and told "Disney Destinations, LLC" the division that sells tickets that they were breaking the rules and HAD to stop enforcing an invalid contract.

But FYI, by no means am I suggesting that someone sues... heck, what will be the outcome? For most people with a Premium AP, about $100, and that is NOT worth the time or effort to take it to court!

Bolivar
04-21-2009, 10:51 AM
I guess legal and logical are not the same thing, but it seems to me that if Disney made a mistake and gave this offer to people they should not have given it to then they should just honor that offer and not offer it again -- meaning if they gave someone the monthly payment plan for a year and then realized they should not have, then they should just let that person make the payments for the year, but then not let them do it again next year. I don't see why they should turn around and stop the payments but still give them the pass. Clearly they shouldn't take away the pass, but why stop the payments?

This is a great deal for Jeff, but not such a great deal for Disney stockholders.

wwomant
04-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I called guest relations and they cleared it up. The monthly payment plan is only supposed to be for So Cal residents. They are going to stop billing me on May 1st, but the passes will be good until their original expiration date. They are not charging me for the difference:eek:

Yes, you read it correctly-- a discount from Disney!

Was is your understanding that this (ending payments but keeping original expiration) is what Disney always intended by the letter, or did your complaint/concern prompt this outcome?

Bolivar
04-21-2009, 12:13 PM
It seems to me that once Disney realized the confusion with this, that they had not applied the policy correctly or consistently, they should have sent a letter to each person in the program not in the Southern California area explaining the mistake and giving them two choices: 1) continue with the program for the rest of the year without the option of renewing it when it expires or 2) cancel the program now voiding the AP but stopping all future payments against it.

Why give away free APs? I am all for customer service and I think the burden of any mistake should be born by Disney, but what is not customer service oriented about telling someone that you made a mistake giving them something they weren't entitled to, but we are going to let you continue to have it or give you the option to back out?

Bytebear
04-21-2009, 01:02 PM
I agree, but I wonder if there were some legal hooks that prevented them from doing that.

olegc
04-21-2009, 01:11 PM
wow - some folks here just HAD to find a way to place a negative on Disney. Sheesh! They did something they did not have to do - and it benefited someone directly and pretty much without a ton of action on the guets' part.

all that negative just starts to rub off on people I guess.

AVP
04-21-2009, 02:11 PM
I just got a letter in the mail today from Disney stating that the monthly payment plan that was offered to us back in December is null because we do not live in So Cal... We now have until May 1st to use them, and then they will no longer be valid :eek:

Was is your understanding that this (ending payments but keeping original expiration) is what Disney always intended by the letter, or did your complaint/concern prompt this outcome?

I'd be really interested to see a copy of the letter the OP received. I believe the OP misread the original letter, and that the letter clearly stated that there would be no further payments but that the pass would be valid through the original expiration date - not that it would be cancelled on May 1, as he first stated.

In essence, the OP purchased 4 APs on a payment plan for which he was not elligible due to an error on the part of the CM who sold him the passes. He made the $50/$69 deposit on each pass, and no more than 1/2 of the additional payments. Now Disney has told him that he will not be charged again, and now has the full use of the pass through the original expiration date.

AVP

ryanvalle
04-21-2009, 02:16 PM
He made the $50/$69 deposit on each pass, and no more than 1/2 of the additional payments.

I forgot about the initial deposit. If that's the case, disney isn't loosing as much as I first thought assuming they've already collected more than half of the actual cost of the pass.

AVP
04-21-2009, 02:16 PM
quick note though, it does not say that the pass will be cancelled, just that the monthly payments will be (and presumably you will be charged the full amount). It says on the letter something to the effect that "the pass will remain valid till the date printed on the pass"I think you're presuming something not stated in the letter. The letter says the monthly payments will stop on May 1st, and that your pass is valid through the original expiration date printed on the pass. There is nothing there saying that you will be charged for the balance.

I don't know when you purchased your pass, but considering this promotion has been offered less than 6 months, you could not have made more than 1/2 of the payments owed. In other words, Disney messed up and you got at least 6 months of payments waived. That sounds like a very generous "make good" to me.

AVP