PDA

View Full Version : How do you respond to Disney "haters"?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

erica84
04-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I put in my request to get time off for my upcoming DL trip and I always get a comment like this from my coworkers, "ugh, let me guess, you're going to Disneyland AGAIN?" One of my coworkers probably thinks I'm a little nutty because it seems whenever she comes to my desk there's always some Disney music playing on my iPod speakers (you gotta get through the work day somehow, right??)

My Dad's side of the family always gives me and my brother such a hard time whenever we tell them where we're going on vacation. Most of my cousins think it's a boring "kids" place (which it is - for young and old kids alike!). I guess some people didn't grow up loving the nostalgia and fun that DL and all things Disney can bring to our lives.

I want to know how you all respond to people like this in your life. It always seems to be that the people who make the biggest deal about it are those who have never been before or who haven't been back since they were little kids. Sometimes I feel like I have to defend my right to vacation where I want to! A lot of people ask why I don't venture out to places like Vegas or Cabo but I guess I'm very different from most 20-somethings. I'd rather visit Mickey than spend my days losing money on slot machines and getting drunk. Love to hear your thoughts and/or experiences! :)

Niwel
04-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Just ask them: You got something against magic? :fez:

Or tell them: "think of the happiest day of your life. Then multiply it by 1,000. THAT's how I feel when I go to Disneyland."

DebT
04-20-2009, 05:14 PM
When people make comments on how often I go to Disneyland, I reply, "yeah isn't it great?" But for the most part I don't bother discussing disney with negative people and when I hear comments I pretty much ignore them. That is easier to do at 40 than at 20 :) However, I have found that the people who really love and support you will be happy about your disney experiences (or anything else that makes you happy) no matter whether they like disney or not.

cstephens
04-20-2009, 05:41 PM
I generally don't. If they don't like it, that's fine - it doesn't really matter to me. If I'm in the right mood, I'd probably respond with "why could it possibly matter to you where I choose to spend my vacation?" Or if I were to decide to get *really* snarky, once they expressed their dislike of Disney, I'd say, "well, then it's a good thing you're not coming on vacation with me!"

Rufus T Firefly
04-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Doesn't matter to me. To each his own. I don't really need other peoples approval to enjoy the things in life that I am interested in.

adriennek
04-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Adrienne

4Disneyfans
04-20-2009, 08:09 PM
I've had people act like that towards me and my kids. My DS had a kid at school say "don't you get bored going there all the time?"
I think sometimes it's jealousy and then of course there are people that just don't get it. ;) I have had people ask why I never go anywhere else. I just simply say .."because there is nowhere else I want to go" :)

cynthia312
04-20-2009, 09:03 PM
As long as WE love it...that's all it matters. Disney is something we LOVE passionately in one way or another. I don't care about the "haters." My co workers always say to me, "ugh, disneyland again!?!?!" or the usual comment, "don't you get bored/sick of going all the time??" I actually don't take any offense to that. I do what I want, I do what makes me happy and Disneyland DEFINITELY makes me happy.

I simply just brush off all the "disneyland again!?!" comments.

Unless they start bashing on it and comparing it to like...Six Flags or something. THEN...that's when I start to run my mouth! ;)

ryanvalle
04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
As long as WE love it...that's all it matters. Disney is something we LOVE passionately in one way or another. I don't care about the "haters." My co workers always say to me, "ugh, disneyland again!?!?!" or the usual comment, "don't you get bored/sick of going all the time??" I actually don't take any offense to that. I do what I want, I do what makes me happy and Disneyland DEFINITELY makes me happy.

I simply just brush off all the "disneyland again!?!" comments.

Unless they start bashing on it and comparing it to like...Six Flags or something. THEN...that's when I start to run my mouth! ;)

Haha, we're in the same "butt" (nemo joke!) haha

UsBurchs
04-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Ah, yes. I have a couple of those in my life. One person (SIL) doesn't get it at all and loves to out-right tell me she doesn't like Disney anything! She does it mainly to be mean (I feel) because she knows I love it so much. She told me that when they have a kid, if he/she wants to go to Disneyland, I'll have to take him/her without them. FINE BY ME! :) Auntie Anna will be happy to take the kid with us and when they go back to Mom and Dad and talk it up - even better. :P

Mostly, I have people that just know me as "the Disney lady" and actually enjoy knowing that I'm here if they have questions. Today, for example. "Hey! Anna will know! What are the words to the Mickey Mouse March?" and yeah, I knew. :) I even played it for them on my phone - it's my ring tone.

My parents know it's my thing and put up with it. They don't understand it completely, but they put up with it. My in-laws LOVE that I'm into Disney - since they are too. My hubby knows that if he is to surround himself with Star Wars, he needs to put up with my Disney stuff. No, our house isn't all decked out - just our desks. :) Well, and a wall in my son's room . . . oh, and the Nemo bathroom . . . maybe a photo in the living room . . . really, I think that's all.

But most people that know me and care - they don't go hating Disney while I'm around. I like what Adrienne K said - perfect!

Mark Mywords
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
I tend to just ignore them.

My old boss was a real snob and would practically sneer at me whenever I'd turn in a vacation request sheet. "Disneyland...again?" Agh! I can still hear him! I eventually got tired of hearing it so I started telling him I was going to the Bay Area for the weekend.

My coworkers still use my old code word "San Jose" when asking if I'm going to Disneyland!

cstephens
04-20-2009, 10:07 PM
My hubby knows that if he is to surround himself with Star Wars, he needs to put up with my Disney stuff.

So do you two share the Disney/Star Wars merchandise? ;)

bennette
04-20-2009, 10:12 PM
I don't tend to broadcast my vacation plans and I go places besides Disney but I could care less if "the public" likes my vacation choices. I take vacation for me; not them.

I am happy whenever people go on vacation (most people don't go enough) and I strongly support friends and staff taking the time they need. In return, they are generally gracious enough to support my taking vacation if I mention I'm taking one.

It pretty much works out. All my close friends, colleagues, and family know if I don't get vacation on a regular basis, ain't nobody happy.

ChurroGirl
04-20-2009, 11:15 PM
I have alot of people at work who know I love Disneyland and comment everytime they find out I am on vacation, usually its the same comments of bordem. I always tell them that for us, they way we experience it, its different everyday for us.

Its out vice, and thats that!

MammaSilva
04-21-2009, 03:12 AM
I am married to the original Muggle....he just doesn't get Disneyland or the magic but he's learned that it makes me and our daughter happy to go spend a few days hanging with the mouse ... and yep he still does the "again?" face when I tell him we're going but he knows that while I love him dearly, I love our trips and unless he can come up with a reasonable argument for us not making the trip, we're on the road per schedule. My compromise is I do not expect him to go with us since he doesn't enjoy it and has no desire to tag along.

This year alone we have 4 trips south planned thru out the year. I am the family go to person when it comes to west coast Disney related questions and that's OK with me. For those who roll their eyes, it's not their money or time...so what ever possessed them to think their opinion makes a difference to me?

yellowrosedtxn
04-21-2009, 04:40 AM
Those that know me, know I like to go to Disneyland. They ask, "why not WDW? There is more to do!" And I tell them that that is on my list of places to go back to, but for now I like Disneyland.

They often roll their eyes at me and kind of chuckle. But when they have questions regarding Disneyland or WDW or the cost or whatever, they point everyone in my direction.

As it was stated before though, when you are in your 40's it is easier to just not deal with negative people or have to defend yourself for going to somewhere you love.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
04-21-2009, 06:17 AM
I work at a Motorcycle dealership and get major flak from all but one of my coworkers. (He married a Disneyland Gal and he likes it too-They Honeymooned in Disneyworld) The Dealership owner and other coworkers eat, breath, and sleep Motorcycles. They think a vacation is a motorcycle race or track day. I'm just not like them so I get treated like a weirdo. I've lied many times and told them we we're going the San Francisco or Pismo Beach so I don't have to take all the bashing. My wife works for a Concrete company and she gets it a bit as well from a few coworkers.

fairestoneofall
04-21-2009, 06:31 AM
I just ignore it. It's my (ours now) thing, not theirs. A lot of people have given me cr*p for it saying that my kids are "too little to get it." They don't know them very well.
It's probably just jealousy. Disney really is a luxury that some people may not think they can afford. To others who have never been, they can't possibly understand.

wabby1
04-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Fortunately there hasn't been any of my co-workers give me much grief over my obsession with Disneyland, mainly because there are others that work here who share my feelings about the park. I do have a monster Disneyland Map on my office wall, and have snowglobes and other trinkets from the park on my shelves. I also work with 2 former cast members here. One was a princess, portraying Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Ariel. The other worked as a janitor at the park in the 60's, and is now a Disney stockholder.

Unfortunately, the person who gives me the most grief about my wanting to go to Disneyland is my wife, although she's been there more times than I have. She always says, "there's just so many other places we should go on vacation" which is true, but deep down I really don't want to.

Usually when someone tells me that they don't like Disneyland or think it's lame....I usually say, "We all have faults." They usually smile and take what I say with a grain of salt anyway.

Darkbeer
04-21-2009, 07:12 AM
I work at a Motorcycle dealership and get major flak from all but one of my coworkers.

OK, so the question is, Harley-Davidson or Honda.... Most folks will say YES to one, and hate the other.

I am lucky to be a roller coaster enthusiast, and proud to be able to say that I can say I like Disney, Universal, Six Flags, SeaWorld, Merlin (owners of LEGOLAND) and others. I know some folks have a problem with that, as they think Disney is great, and any other Theme/Amusement park is awful and disgusting.

I am happy that MANY different companies are in the business of trying to make people happy, and look forward to the County Fairs that show up every summer.

But remember the saying "different strokes for different folks", some might LOVE Six Flags for its extreme thrills, and hate Disney since it is too "boring". They do have the right to that opinion, as does others that think Disney can do no wrong. But I think most folks can appreciate that more than one entertainment company can provide quality parks.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
04-21-2009, 07:22 AM
"OK, so the question is, Harley-Davidson or Honda.... Most folks will say YES to one, and hate the other."

Neither one of those-BMW;)

Darkbeer
04-21-2009, 07:47 AM
"OK, so the question is, Harley-Davidson or Honda.... Most folks will say YES to one, and hate the other."

Neither one of those-BMW;)

OOPS.. My Apologies!!!! Sorry I forgot to mention those GREAT Bikes. :eek:

mrsdisney68
04-21-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't really get the "haters" just people that dont get it. I live local 90min away from DL, but I do not go through out the year. I have a lot of friends that go all the time, but for us it is a magical place I like to escape to once a year and make a big deal about that one trip. We were not even going this year until about two days ago when we changed our original plans to a DL trip. This year we are staying at the Grand California, I know alot of people will say its way to overpriced, etc but if it is an expericence you are willing to pay for I say go for it. Last year we did the DL hotel and just kept staring at the Grand and saying "some day".... well we are finally going to get our someday there.(a shorter trip this time though)!! Can't wait till June :)

disneylandgirl
04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
I put in my request to get time off for my upcoming DL trip and I always get a comment like this from my coworkers, "ugh, let me guess, you're going to Disneyland AGAIN?"

I have had people ask why I never go anywhere else. I just simply say .."because there is nowhere else I want to go" :)

My co workers always say to me, "ugh, disneyland again!?!?!" or the usual comment, "don't you get bored/sick of going all the time??" I actually don't take any offense to that. I do what I want, I do what makes me happy and Disneyland DEFINITELY makes me happy.

My old boss was a real snob and would practically sneer at me whenever I'd turn in a vacation request sheet. "Disneyland...again?" Agh! I can still hear him! I eventually got tired of hearing it so I started telling him I was going to the Bay Area for the weekend.

I have alot of people at work who know I love Disneyland and comment everytime they find out I am on vacation, usually its the same comments of bordem. I always tell them that for us, they way we experience it, its different everyday for us.

Those that know me, know I like to go to Disneyland. They ask, "why not WDW? There is more to do!" And I tell them that that is on my list of places to go back to, but for now I like Disneyland.

They often roll their eyes at me and kind of chuckle. But when they have questions regarding Disneyland or WDW or the cost or whatever, they point everyone in my direction.

She always says, "there's just so many other places we should go on vacation" which is true, but deep down I really don't want to.

I LOVE MOUSEPLANET!!! We are not alone people. ;)

All of this explains me too. My boss gets tired of me asking for time off for DL, he always grunts a little. Co workers give me the most grief. They just don't understand. I may have to start using a code word too... that's a very good idea. :cool: Everybody always asks why I don't go other places. I just LOVE DL. I want to spend ALL of my spare time there. :)

cstephens
04-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Everybody always asks why I don't go other places.

"Why could it possibly matter to you where I go on my vacation?"