PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland entertainment's 10 year recession

tHeDiSnEyKiD
04-20-2009, 03:11 AM
With my new article published, I thought I'd bring up the topic of park entertainment with music being the focus. I know this subject was brought up a few weeks ago, but I would really like to see a Disney Concert Series in the park.

I don't mean just "Disney" artists, but a series of concerts that Disney actually gives attention to. I can't stand the Tomasina and Reunion shows anymore. They're getting more lame everytime I see them. You know it's jumped the shark when you see a mother dancing with her 5 year old to the music of the 80's. It's getting almost unbearable. Sure, they're not BAD, but certainly average at best. And since when did Disney strive to be average?

Jeffreaky
04-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Do Grad nights still have national acts come through? I know we had Wang Chung, Bobby Brown, Glass Tiger and a few others. It would be great to get some national acts back to disneyland although I do like a lot of the entertainment they currently have.

olegc
04-20-2009, 05:57 AM
my grad night had bands like KC and the Sunshine Band (although it was 1980 and they were on the way down), and others too. Disneyland has had such a long history of very famous performers of their day (the image of Louis Armstrong performing on the Mark Twain comes to mind). I remember the Big Bands that came through in the mid 70s, etc. These days it's all about synergy and keeping payments down (so that's why you have Disney artists).

I would not solely blame Disneyland for not having current (or semi-current) acts. When average concert tickets are $100 each and sometimes can top $500 for some names there probably is a ceiling to the kind of payments Disney is willing to make to performers these days for them to come to the park and perform one night, let alone a weekend.

It's not just a Disney issue - it involves corporate music industry, agents, publicists, artists, and who gets paid what. As you had intimated in your previous article - at that period of time you felt free and just had a lot of joy and fun at the park. Times are different now and you would not see anything anywhere without a mile-long contract and a structured presentation. You can't go back....

tHeDiSnEyKiD
04-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Ha, you can always go back... it's like Neverland.

I think Grad Nites don't count. I just want to see Disneyland get their swagger back and make the park a once in a lifetime visit every single day. I can't tell you how many people find out I go to Disneyland a lot and end up telling me they never go because the price of admission doesn't fulfill its promise.

VickiC
04-20-2009, 09:54 AM
The fact is that Disneyland doens't want to be and doesn't market iself as a hang out for young adults. They are happy to have a mom and 5 year old dancing to 80's music.

DisneyDustin22
04-20-2009, 09:59 AM
You know it's jumped the shark when you see a mother dancing with her 5 year old to the music of the 80's.

This is bad? A mother and daughter bonding and enjoying time together creating memories????

Now I'm a bit biased b/c I'm friends with some of the bands that perform at the TLT stage. No, of course you're not getting Bon Jovi or someone topping the charts in there. But the live music definitely has a pull.

I have heard word that they are actually looking to rid all the live music this summer and throw a DJ up there. From a cost perspective I understand this. But overall, I don't support it. I'd rather listen to a cover band than techno remizes all night by a kid pressing a few buttons on an iPod.

olegc
04-20-2009, 10:03 AM

I think Grad Nites don't count. I just want to see Disneyland get their swagger back and make the park a once in a lifetime visit every single day. I can't tell you how many people find out I go to Disneyland a lot and end up telling me they never go because the price of admission doesn't fulfill its promise.

that was kind of my point, though. They will not, ever anymore, sacrifice their revenue point in order to improve entertainment significantly. They will increase prices to cover. When have you known them ever to reduce prices? In fact, the price increases themselves have increased over time (50 cents, then a dollar, then 2, then 3, etc).

So - the folks you've talked to would see an even BIGGER increase in admission for the right to see that swagger...

tHeDiSnEyKiD
04-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I'd pay extra... ha.

And no, it's not a bad thing that a mother/daughter are dancing together, having fun. I just said it jumped the shark when you see that. I know it's Disneyland and families are the market, but I keep hearing Simon Cowell in my head if he was at the terrace:"This is like some ghastly hotel bar performance"...ha.

Look at the video I shot. Empty. Something's clearly not working at the terrace, and btw, I know it's been a huge hit again in the last two years because of the best drama ever The Sopranos, but "Dont Stop Believing" by Journey was played by Reunion still after like 3 years. It's like the same set over and over. Maybe people have picked up on it.

In the end, I just wish Disney theme park ops would try something fresh and new and don't become that place known for cheesy entertainment... because with recession cuts, they can easily reach it, so I'm praying this doesn't happen and they can bring life back into the parks.

olegc
04-21-2009, 07:19 AM
I'd pay extra... ha.
maybe - but that's probably not the norm (unless you subscribe to the pay-to-play model they have been rumoring about for years)

In the end, I just wish Disney theme park ops would try something fresh and new and don't become that place known for cheesy entertainment... because with recession cuts, they can easily reach it, so I'm praying this doesn't happen and they can bring life back into the parks.

Well - new is a relative term. With today's entertainment market sliced and diced to appease divergent tastes, and radio filled with homogonized playlists and Jack FM (which I like, but it's more of a science project then real radio), what could be new and fresh to you might be even repulsive to others. Similar to the opinion that what was really fun and free-spirited for some was viewed as troublemakers on the loose by others. It's a matter of perspective and opinion - and like it or not Disney has two things to consider - 1) making money (which sometimes means saving money) and 2) making sure the mass majority is served.

I miss having every knook and cranny filled with little bits of entertainment and quaint things to see and do. I am sure others miss Videopolis and the thumping music (and runaway extra-curricular activity), but I am resigned to the fact that I will celebrate that with nostalgia and try to find good things now. If Miley Cirus, a disney property, has to have a closed event with tickets for 250 or so (i can't remember) and it sells out - which closed the park but made a ton more money for the park - and publicity -what would you do if this was your business and your livelihood?

You want something new? what's the definition of new? that's the constant question.

olegc
04-21-2009, 07:55 AM
This info was posted on another site...
http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al042109a.htm

"The Disneyland Entertainment department hopes to boost the Terrace's popularity this summer with a nightly event called the Coca-Cola Dance Party. Hosting live bands and go-go dancers on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, with a DJ and go-go dancers on Monday through Thursday this summer, the Coca-Cola Dance Party at Tomorrowland Terrace will be a 21st century attempt to harken back to the glory days of the Terrace in the 1970's when infamous cover bands like Sunshine Balloon and Sound Castle kept the dance floor surprisingly busy all night long. "

fairestoneofall
04-21-2009, 08:05 AM
This is bad? A mother and daughter bonding and enjoying time together creating memories????

Amen!

sjhanksaz
04-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Do Grad nights still have national acts come through? I know we had Wang Chung, Bobby Brown, Glass Tiger and a few others. It would be great to get some national acts back to disneyland although I do like a lot of the entertainment they currently have.

We had Men Without Hats and Thomas Dolby

DisneyDustin22
04-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Look at the video I shot. Empty. Something's clearly not working at the terrace

Some of the bands that play there are like oil and water in terms of their following. I wouldn't consider Reunion one of the more heavy hitters that play there.

I'll post a photo this evening of the most recent Sandbox show at TLT, when the only place you could find a spot to see was up on the ramp leading out of the stage area. The entire area was anything but empty as guests stretched all the way back. Heck there were even guests behind the stage standing and watching.

tHeDiSnEyKiD
04-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Well, with the Coca Cola thing, I guess I was right in thinking a major change needs to happen. So I hope it's at least something to watch. We'll see.

Maybe they read my Disneyland Locals article, ha.

oregontraveler
04-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Shouldn't that be Yesterland ;)

The thread title is right on the mark. I would love to see more high-profile acts at DL, but I don't see it happening. And while the latest announcement
concering the Terrace stage and go-go dancers. I see it as mere window dressing and not taking a step forward or thinking outside the box. Much like
Animal Kingdoms new closing 'parade' with a conga line.