PDA

View Full Version : Electric scooters

Pages : [1] 2

ginap73
04-16-2009, 07:41 PM
What kind of electric scooters are allowed in disneyland? does it have to be 3 or 4 wheels or can it be 2? We have a Handicapped parking permit, but my aunt is out of work and has no insurance ot very little or whatever to get a $1,000 one. we were looking into the $100-200 ones but my guess is they wouldn't be allowed there right? they are 2 wheeled ones.

CariBelle
04-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Why not just rent one at the park?

ginap73
04-16-2009, 08:41 PM
cause they are all gone when we get there. and we already have 1 person in a wheelchair.

Toocherie
04-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi there--renting in the park is one option. another option is to rent from an outside company if you are staying several days--they will deliver to your hotel and pick it up from there too. It's helpful to have a scooter the entire time to go back and forth to the parks. The two companies most people use are Deckert's and OC Medical.

I'm not sure if a two-wheel scooter is permitted--both 3 and 4-wheel scooters are. I'm not sure I've seen a 2-wheel used as a disability aide. Can you describe it a bit more?

Also, I'm moving this to the Theme Park Access Guide board because I think you'll get better responses there! Have a GREAT trip!

Malcon10t
04-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Segways are not allowed. 3 and 4 wheel scooters are. You can rent from any of several companies. Some here like Deckerts (I am one of those) and others like OC Medical.

ginap73
04-16-2009, 10:27 PM
there not segways. they look like 3 wheeled scooters, they have a seat but they only have 2 wheels.

Drince88
04-17-2009, 04:19 AM
Just for curiosity, can you provide a link to a page with a picture of one?

I think your best bet is to rent one, as suggested - OR is she needing to buy one for her general use OUTSIDE of her trip, and you wanted to make sure that she could use it ON her trip. If the second is the case, I think a picture would be helpful.

MammaSilva
04-17-2009, 09:05 AM
If you are talking about those little electric two wheeled scooters that were so popular a few years ago, I doubt they would be allowed in. My brother bought one for his kids to play with and to use to go back and forth to school, the kids never used it for more than playing around near home but they don't qualify as being considered adaptive medical equipment on your taxes so I doubt that Disney would allow them in the park, the upper end speed is too high and the brake system not reliable enough.

ginap73
04-17-2009, 06:41 PM
that's the one i was talking about..thanks.
I didn't think so.

Cheshire Figment
04-19-2009, 07:47 PM
There are no two-wheel scooters which are considered medical equipment. It is Disney policy to prohibit all two-wheel vehicles.

teafour2
04-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Why not just rent one at the park?Because there a fortune in the parks. out side rentals cost half what Disneyland will charge you :)

Malcon10t
04-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Because there a fortune in the parks. out side rentals cost half what Disneyland will charge you :)Well, not half. They are usually maybe $5 a day cheaper, BUT you can take them out of the park and back to the hotel.

Our last trip was $114 for 4 days outside the park. At the park, I would only have rented 3 days, as one day was only to see Billy Hill. So, $120 vs $114. The bigger draw was taking it back to the hotel.

Crazy4DL
05-02-2009, 03:59 PM
. The bigger draw was taking it back to the hotel.

. . and to DTD. Making shopping in that area much more enjoyable if you have trouble walking.

Mom2
07-11-2009, 01:36 AM
Does anyone know where you can rent a scooter besides Deckert and Orange County Medical? We found out that the prices have gone up and wanted to compare with other companies (if there are any) We dont plan on getting them from disney for many reasons...one being that we use them for Downtown Disney, etc.

Thanks again MPers!

Mom2
07-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Well, not half. They are usually maybe $5 a day cheaper, BUT you can take them out of the park and back to the hotel.

Our last trip was $114 for 4 days outside the park. At the park, I would only have rented 3 days, as one day was only to see Billy Hill. So, $120 vs $114. The bigger draw was taking it back to the hotel.

Do you mind if I ask if you rented from Deckerts or OC? We have always gotten them from Deckerts in the past, but suddenly their prices have gone up to $150 for five days...did they charge you a weekly or daily rate? Also, did you get a 3 or 4 wheel scooter?

Malcon10t
07-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Do you mind if I ask if you rented from Deckerts or OC? We have always gotten them from Deckerts in the past, but suddenly their prices have gone up to $150 for five days...did they charge you a weekly or daily rate? Also, did you get a 3 or 4 wheel scooter?I rent the 3 wheel scooter. I just rented for 4 days next week, for $110. Now, because I rent from them, I do get 5% off. For 5 days, I pay $143. 5% off $150 is $143. Its only $29 a day. Disneyland's are $45 a day. If you have rented before, let them know. Oh, I rent from Deckert's. I have rented from OC, but their rates were higher. There is also Alan's, but people have had issues with their customer service and the ECVs.

Malcon10t
07-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Alan's number is (714) 870-9840. I used to use Century Medical, but they went out of business.

Someone once mentioned the Scooter Store, their number is (714) 894-6274.

MammaSilva
07-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I have to speak up here and say that I personally had the WORST experience renting from Alans! The delivered a scooter that looked like it had been the winner of a demolition derby and the paperwork said it was in NEW condition, the second I signed the contract I would have become liable for any and all 'damage' done to the scooter. I mean this thing was so beat up the staff at my hotel were like here call Deckards don't sign for this, we're not sure it's even charged. I called Alans and questioned the paperwork and got told, we don't send out new equipment "you people just trash our stuff"...I took that comment very personally due to my married surname. I called Deckards but unfortunately they couldn't bring me a scooter for 3 days, they were sold out so I was stuck, I called Alans back and told them I was 'scratching out' the like new condition and putting the facts in and I took photos of the scooter with one of the hotel staff IN the shot with their permission and cooperation. The brakes were almost non existant, I tried to do soaring and it was actually scary dangerous for me and the guests ahead of me in the queue and the battery would go dead after only an hour or two....I can not say enough negative about Alans!

Malcon10t
07-11-2009, 11:50 AM
I have never rented from Alan's, but I did call them when I was looking for the first time. I too got the type of customer service MammaSilva stated. I didn't think of it at the time, but I have a similar type surname. Regardless, after reading here a couple of complaints about Alan's, I won't risk it. I was VERY satisfied with Century Medical. Then suddenly I called and they no longer existed. Since then I have used Deckert's. I tried OC Medical, but while the prices were higher, the scooters were the same, so I went back.

Mom2
07-12-2009, 01:41 AM
I think I had better stay with Deckerts then. Honestly they go have great service and the scooters are in excellent shape.

Cheshire Figment
07-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Unless the two-wheel vehicle is certified by its manufacturer as a medical device it is not permitted in any of the Disney Parks. And I have not heard of any that are and I know that the manufacturer of the Segway has stated they have no intention to have Segways certified as medical equipment.

Toocherie
07-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Just FYI--OC Medical now has a location across the street from the Disneyland main entrance at the Ramada Maingate. It is called "Scooter Village."

A little story--I was on my OC Medical rented scooter this past weekend standing in line somewhere at DL. The lady behind me was having a terrible time--she had some physical issues, had been there two days and was exhausted. She asked me if I had rented my scooter from Disney or off-site--and I told her where I had rented it and that she should call them. She got out her cell phone--this was 7:30 p.m on Friday, she called OC Medical and within 10 minutes was all set to have a scooter delivered to her by 9 a.m. the next morning at the Disneyland Hotel. He also told her to call back anytime that night when she was in a not so public place to give them her credit card info. She was VERY happy because she still had three hot! days to go.

I have rented from Deckert's too--but always seemed to end up with those hulking gray scooters instead of the Celebrity X in blue or red. The gray ones are just harder to maneuver, IMHO. I have rented other medical eqpt. from Deckert's and been very happy.

Either way I think both companies are keepers.

teafour2
07-23-2009, 06:46 PM
I talked to Scooter Village this week and he will meet dekerts. also told me there scooters are new and they have the best around. anyone rent from them yet? I got a quote of 225.00 for 7 days,but when I told him dekerts said 175.00 he said ok, I will match that. Im hoping there a great company to work with.

Toocherie
07-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Well, I believe Scooter Village is the same as OC Medical and I rent from them all the time and only had an issue once--and he was there within 15 minutes with a replacement scooter!

codewoman
07-29-2009, 10:05 AM
I rented from Deckerts in October 2007 so I can't speak to the price issue.

However, I did allow the scooter to run out of battery (it died right in front of finding Nemo in the hot sun, how embarassing). I called them and the woman who answered was very helpful. She told me how to set the scooter up to push it to an outlet. An hour or two later we were back in business!

The scooter was delivered on time. It was a big hulking grey one, but since I am a big hulking woman, I could understand why. It was nice to have the basket to store stuff. And the *horn* just cracked me up! They charged what they agreed to.

I considered it a good rental experience.