PDA

View Full Version : Renewed AP and Theft in Parking Garage

Phineas T
04-13-2009, 09:33 AM
We were at the park for first time in months to renew our AP's. I was parked at Goofy 4C and sometime between 1130a and 730p somebody got in my white Rodeo SUV and took my GPS, bluetooth headset and a flash drive. I really only care about the flash drive as I am a college professor and it had much of my school work on it, plus a novel I am writing. It wasn't a break-in per se since a door got left open due to something stuck on one of the push down locks(we think).

Great day other than that. A little on the busy side but I've seen worse. I'm just glad I can get back with AP's in hand.

AVP
04-13-2009, 10:09 AM
somebody got in my white Rodeo SUV and took my GPS, bluetooth headset and a flash drive. Did you file a police report, or notify Disneyland security? I know they have cameras in the parking structure, though I have no idea if/how long they may store the tapes.

AVP

Malcon10t
04-13-2009, 12:36 PM
And, just like strollers, leave nothing of value in the car. I'm sorry you lost important stuff. Hopefully you report it.

Bytebear
04-13-2009, 01:48 PM
That's tough. I hate when something is stolen that has more value to you than to them. I had two laptops stolen about a year ago. They jumped the back yard 6' stone wall and got in through the back patio door. They only took the laptops, skipping right over my DSLR camera which was sitting on the kitchen table. The computers can be replaced, but I lost a lot of pictures including nearly all the pictures of my Aunt's first visit to Southern California. Fortunately I transfered a few of them to my thumbdrive but it still sucked to lose all that irreplacable stuff.

i hope you are working with Disney security on finding out who these people are.

Niwel
04-13-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm so sorry that happened and I hope they can figure out who did it.

On the flipside, I once left my keys on top of the hood of my car in the Pinocchio lot. And several hours later they were still there -- nothing was missing.

WestsideCM
04-13-2009, 03:00 PM
1: EXTREMELY important that you contacted Anaheim PD.

2: If you have not done so already you need to contact park security asap and give them the approximate location of the car in relation to the garage. If you need to I beleive that a parking security office is located just outside the Mickey & Friends structure on the north side adjacent to Ball Rd where the cast member parking is. Mickey & Friends has a very sophisticated camera system there and it is likely that they may have the incident stored in a data server somewhere. You should contact them asap before the video evidence is archived or deleted. If possible you should get the police report number beforehand so that security can share the investigation info with the PD right away and you can get an answer from the PD sooner.

AZCardsGirl
04-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Yes, report this!

Personally I guard everything in my home and car as if it were the football with the nuclear codes.

For everyone: Make sure all your car doors are locked. Don't leave anything valuable in sight. If you have a GPS take it with you. The newest thing to worry about? Once someone gets into your car they can turn on your GPS, hit the "home" button and be nicely told by modern technology exactly where you live. The bad guy now has turn-by-turn directions to your driveway. Once in the driveway they touch the garage door clicker. Garage door go up. A lot of people leave the door into the house unlocked or don't have a good deadbolt on it. No alarm system or it isn't turned on. THe bad guys know it will be a while until you get at home, they can take pretty much whatever they want because they have your car to transport it. It's pretty ugly.

There will always be evil and just plain mean people among us. Fight back by making things as hard as possible on them.

disneylandgirl
04-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Yes, report this!
The newest thing to worry about? Once someone gets into your car they can turn on your GPS, hit the "home" button and be nicely told by modern technology exactly where you live. The bad guy now has turn-by-turn directions to your driveway.

WOW, I never even thought about that until you mentioned it. That's pretty scary.

DaDuckFan1955
04-14-2009, 10:13 AM
That's tough. I hate when something is stolen that has more value to you than to them. I had two laptops stolen about a year ago. They jumped the back yard 6' stone wall and got in through the back patio door. They only took the laptops, skipping right over my DSLR camera which was sitting on the kitchen table. The computers can be replaced, but I lost a lot of pictures including nearly all the pictures of my Aunt's first visit to Southern California. Fortunately I transfered a few of them to my thumbdrive but it still sucked to lose all that irreplacable stuff.

i hope you are working with Disney security on finding out who these people are.

That's one reason why I upload all my pictures to Smugmug, some I lock out so only family and those I want can view, but most are uploaded and stored online. A good insurance policy in case the computer is stolen or crashes.
another site that is a great online storage for ALL your computer files, not just pictures is Carbonite.

http://www.carbonite.com/ads/ppc/Google/TM/ProductShot/signup.aspx?ppc_campaign=CB%20-%20Carbonite&ppc_group=Trademark%20-%20Exact&ppc_kwd=carbonite&Sourcetag=google&cmpid=PPC_TM_Product&s_kwcid=carbonite|3856201981&gclid=CMa6mPH88JkCFRMUagodYzrBQw

Around $50.00 a year for peace of mind in case the hard drive crashes or is stolen... Just keep all your passwords written down elsewhere never on the computer..

Docter419
04-14-2009, 09:00 PM
They really need to put video cameras up in the garage. And some increased security patrols wouldn't hurt either. This is ridiculous.

adriennek
04-14-2009, 09:07 PM
They really need to put video cameras up in the garage. And some increased security patrols wouldn't hurt either. This is ridiculous.

Uhm, what do you mean "need to"?

Did you file a police report, or notify Disneyland security? I know they have cameras in the parking structure, though I have no idea if/how long they may store the tapes.

Mickey & Friends has a very sophisticated camera system there

Adrienne

Nancy
04-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Yes, report this!

Personally I guard everything in my home and car as if it were the football with the nuclear codes.

For everyone: Make sure all your car doors are locked. Don't leave anything valuable in sight. If you have a GPS take it with you. The newest thing to worry about? Once someone gets into your car they can turn on your GPS, hit the "home" button and be nicely told by modern technology exactly where you live. The bad guy now has turn-by-turn directions to your driveway. Once in the driveway they touch the garage door clicker. Garage door go up. A lot of people leave the door into the house unlocked or don't have a good deadbolt on it. No alarm system or it isn't turned on. THe bad guys know it will be a while until you get at home, they can take pretty much whatever they want because they have your car to transport it. It's pretty ugly.

There will always be evil and just plain mean people among us. Fight back by making things as hard as possible on them.

Some friends had their truck broken into while on vacation and their paperwork was stolen from the glove compartment along with the garage door opener. Another way to get into the house and the bad guys have your home address and know you aren't at home.

Drince88
04-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Some friends had their truck broken into while on vacation and their paperwork was stolen from the glove compartment along with the garage door opener. Another way to get into the house and the bad guys have your home address and know you aren't at home.

This is why my registration/etc is in a locked compartment, and when I got my car (convertible) I went with heated seats (in New Orleans!) because that was the only way to get the integrated garage door opener. (It's built into the visor, no way it can be stolen from my car without taking the entire visor!) Yes, they could still take those things, but it would take them that much longer to do it.

CV12Pirate
04-15-2009, 08:14 AM
It's not just GPS that will give them your home address.

Back in the old day's all you had to do was look at the car registration on the steering column to get the home address.

Yes, registration used to be kept on the steering column. Today people keep it in the glove compartment, which can still be gotten to.

Put an alarm on your car, Viper car alarms are among the best.

AnotherJenny
04-15-2009, 01:19 PM
This is why my registration/etc is in a locked compartment, and when I got my car (convertible) I went with heated seats (in New Orleans!) because that was the only way to get the integrated garage door opener. (It's built into the visor, no way it can be stolen from my car without taking the entire visor!) Yes, they could still take those things, but it would take them that much longer to do it.

It's not *likely*, but all they have to do is push the button and with the right device, a thief can clone the frequency of your garage door.

When my car was broken into the police told me that car thieves hide out in parking lots and get the frequencies of your automatic locks/alarms. They recommended getting one with a rotating frequency.

As for lot security, this didn't happen at Disneyland, but last season it was raining at Dodger Stadium, when we went back to the car, someone had stolen the windshield wipers from the entire section! What kind of "security" is that if they had the time to take those off 50+ cars?

DizneyMommy
04-15-2009, 01:42 PM
That's one reason why I upload all my pictures to Smugmug, some I lock out so only family and those I want can view, but most are uploaded and stored online. A good insurance policy in case the computer is stolen or crashes.
another site that is a great online storage for ALL your computer files, not just pictures is Carbonite.

http://www.carbonite.com/ads/ppc/Google/TM/ProductShot/signup.aspx?ppc_campaign=CB%20-%20Carbonite&ppc_group=Trademark%20-%20Exact&ppc_kwd=carbonite&Sourcetag=google&cmpid=PPC_TM_Product&s_kwcid=carbonite|3856201981&gclid=CMa6mPH88JkCFRMUagodYzrBQw

Around $50.00 a year for peace of mind in case the hard drive crashes or is stolen... Just keep all your passwords written down elsewhere never on the computer..

I'll second that. Have used smugmug since my kids were born and I started panicking about losing photos. Awesome site, well worth the money. I take thousands of photos a year, plus upload scans of all of our portraits we have framed

DizneyMommy
04-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I see cars all the time in Mickey & Friends with one rear door wide open, clearly having been parked a while based on their location compared to mine. Seriously people - check that your kids shut the door!

Maybe it sounds wrong, but I won't shut an open doors for them - if someone came back and broke in that car, my fingerprints are now on the door. And I'm in the system because of volunteer work I have done. I feel bad, but not going to take that chance.

Drince88
04-15-2009, 02:27 PM
It's not *likely*, but all they have to do is push the button and with the right device, a thief can clone the frequency of your garage door.Yea, that's true - but I figure at least making them have to be really 'good' thieves is going to deter the 'amateurs'.

When my car was broken into the police told me that car thieves hide out in parking lots and get the frequencies of your automatic locks/alarms. They recommended getting one with a rotating frequency.

That sounds like a good reason for using the button on the door to lock the doors and not the fob!

ScottC4746
04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
The cameras will not prevent theft, they only tape it happening. You could park inside Fort Knox but still need to take precautions.

HobbitFeet
04-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Maybe it sounds wrong, but I won't shut an open doors for them - if someone came back and broke in that car, my fingerprints are now on the door. And I'm in the system because of volunteer work I have done. I feel bad, but not going to take that chance.

Maybe you could bump it closed with your hip? Unless you're wearing jeans with rivets or anything that might scratch it.

torquedork
04-15-2009, 05:22 PM
I see cars all the time in Mickey & Friends with one rear door wide open, clearly having been parked a while based on their location compared to mine. Seriously people - check that your kids shut the door!

I've also seen where people left their keys sitting either in the door or trunk locks and just walked away where someone else could easily just drive away with their cars and no one would even notice.

TamiJean
04-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Totally not as important...but we've had our Mickey Antenna ball stolen - twice - from our car while parked at a hotel on Harbor. So, now we take it off as soon as we get there. I guess it's an easy way for someone to save $5!!:crying:

CV12Pirate
04-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Attenna toppers are a hot item. One time they couldn't get the topper off so they took the whole attenna. New attenna at dealer, ouch. Exact replacement attenna from a junkyard, 2 bucks.

Even if it's "nailed down", someone will pry it loose and take it.