PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland tomorrow! Re: ECV

erure
04-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Hello! I'm going to Disneyland + California Adventures tomorrow with a friend but I just had surgery on my foot so I'm on crutches... :crying: I think I'll need to rent an ECV tomorrow and just wanted to get some information about it :)

1. I know that tomorrow is Easter Sunday -- does this mean that there will be a lot more people or not as many people because people are at home spending Easter with families? I'm kind of scared about navigating through the park with ten million people...

2. I'm planning on taking a backpack with me and wondering if it is safe to leave the backpack with the ECV when going on rides... It's not a huge backpack so it'll fit in the basket fine I think... I could take it with me on rides too so just wanted to hear what pros(= people who are on ECVs at DL all the time) do :)

3. My friend and I have park hopper tickets and I was wondering if I had to rent the ECV twice? Or can I just go between the parks on the ECV as well?

Thank you very much! :D

Here's a photo of the DL castle that I took (I like adding photos to posts -- sorry! :D) :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/jinji/ccL1000396.jpg

candles71
04-11-2009, 02:46 PM
You can go back and forth with the ECV. You can leave the backpack if you wish. Most rides its in sight of the CMs (not that they are responsible for it). I just wouldn't leave any thing of value.

adriennek
04-11-2009, 03:02 PM
1. I know that tomorrow is Easter Sunday -- does this mean that there will be a lot more people or not as many people because people are at home spending Easter with families? I'm kind of scared about navigating through the park with ten million people...

I would be more concerned about the park running out of ECVs. If you want to be sure to get an ECV, be there early.

Navigating will go slowly. I think as long as you go into it with that expectation, you will, hopefully, have reduced frustrations.

2. I'm planning on taking a backpack with me and wondering if it is safe to leave the backpack with the ECV when going on rides... It's not a huge backpack so it'll fit in the basket fine I think... I could take it with me on rides too so just wanted to hear what pros(= people who are on ECVs at DL all the time) do :)

Never leave anything in the basket. It's not worth it. It's not the CMs jobs to watch your basket. That sounds snarky; I don't want it to. But they have to keep the ride going, make sure the guests on the ride are safe, etc. And they rotate positions so the CM who is standing there to help you on the ride may not be the same CM when you get back. So even if they want to help watch your backpack, there are just too many opportunities for them to be distracted. For many rides, there is no CM to watch the ECV for you.

Plan to take the backpack with you unless someone with your party is sitting out the ride and staying with the ECV.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
04-11-2009, 03:16 PM
1. Ditto AdK. You will need to be there very early if you want an ECV. They will most likely sell out early, as it will be very busy. Yes, it will be very crowded. I was told just moments ago that it is a zoo today. I expect it to be a zoo all week. So expect to go slowly through the park. Be prepared for people to stop dead in front of you, expect people to think the small space you are keeping between you and the guy in front of you is the perfect spot to move into.

2. Ditto AdK. NEVER leave anything in the basket that you want to keep. Expect anything left behind will be gone when you return. It doesn't usually happen. But it can.

3. You can go between parks, but not DTD.

cstephens
04-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I would never leave anything in an ECV, wheelchair or stroller that I didn't mind if it walked off by itself.

Toocherie
04-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Well, it takes a little advance planning, but here is my method for securing things to the ECV basket. I bought a tote that has two zippers.

I take two travel locks for luggage--one I use to secure the handle of the tote to the basket of the ECV.

The other I use to secure the two zippers to each other (usually there's a hole at the end of the zipper pull that the small lock can fit through).

That way, the tote is secured to the basket, and it would be extremely cumbersome for someone to get into the tote interior to steal things out of it.

Is it foolproof? no--if someone wanted to take the whole basket off they could--but I think they'd be quite noticeable walking throught the park with it.

It also can be a pain at security (I generally leave it unlocked until I get into the park and I don't lock the zippers up if there's really nothing of value--like a water bottle--in the tote).

Hope that helps someone~!

candles71
04-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Good thought about the luggage locks, I was just thinking a backpack and crutches maybe a little difficult, and if its nothing he wouldn't mind walking away, then he'd be a little better off if he could leave it.

Toocherie
04-13-2009, 02:34 PM
I do see people leave things unsecured in ECVs, wheelchairs and strollers all the time--and I'm sure 99% of the time nothing is disturbed. Then there's that 1% . . . . . .

erure
04-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I had a really great time yesterday! I was paranoid at first but then I started getting lazy and leaving stuff in the basket while going on rides... Nothing was touched, though.

Toocherie
04-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Glad you had a great time! If you have the opportunity, please post a mini-trip report for us all to live vicariously through you!

erure
04-13-2009, 03:12 PM
^Thank you! And I'll take a whack at a report soon :D

Oh I had a question. My friend and I were in line for the new Toy Story Mania ride in California Adventure, and since the lines were big enough for a wheelchair, I used the regular lines but it was very difficult to maneuver around all the corners and poles and whatnot, and a lot of people around me seemed mildly annoyed that I was bumping around everywhere :( And a guy suggested that I get a card that will let me go through the exits on the ride, and I didn't know what he was talking about. So the second time that I went on the Toy Story Mania ride, I went to the exit and asked the CM if I could go through the exit, explaining that going through the lines was a bit of a challenge. She said that I needed a card in order to do that but didn't really specify what and said that it's against company policy, but that she'll let me go through the exit that one time. So what's this card that people were talking about? I wish I had known about it beforehand, because I really did have surgery on my foot four days ago (no one questioned it because of the cast on my foot but a little girl accused me of cutting, which was amusing because I was in line just like everyone else).

adriennek
04-13-2009, 03:22 PM
And a guy suggested that I get a card that will let me go through the exits on the ride, and I didn't know what he was talking about.

Don't worry: Neither did he! ;)

So what's this card that people were talking about? I wish I had known about it beforehand, because I really did have surgery on my foot four days ago (no one questioned it because of the cast on my foot but a little girl accused me of cutting, which was amusing because I was in line just like everyone else).

The card he's talking about is called a Guest Assistance Card. The program was formerly called Special Assistance Pass and was much "easier" to use and thus, easier to abuse. (I am NOT suggesting you would abuse it or be abusing it. I'm just describing the program so you can see why he thought he was right but he was wrong. ;) )

The way the GAC works is that a person would go to Guest Relations and explain their particular challenge and Guest Relations would figure out what the best way to help you enjoy your day at the parks would be.

In your case, for recovering from foot surgery, there is no card that lets you go through the exit. This is a misunderstanding dating back to the SAP days. For a foot injury, Guest Relations would suggest that you rent a wheelchair or ECV, just as you did!

In the case where the lines for an attraction are not wheelchair or ECV accessible, THEN you would be directed to an alternative entrance, which is sometimes the exit. In DCA, and at just about all of the newer attractions throughout the resort, the lines are accessible, therefore you would not use the exit or alternative entrance.

There are cases in which a person would have a card which would give them other alternative entrance access, but an injured or recovering foot is not one of them. That is why the CM asked you about the card. The ECV should have given you all of the alternative access you needed to enjoy the rides.

:)

Adrienne

Malcon10t
04-13-2009, 03:25 PM
She said that I needed a card in order to do that but didn't really specify what and said that it's against company policy, but that she'll let me go through the exit that one time. So what's this card that people were talking about? I wish I had known about it beforehand, because I really did have surgery on my foot four days ago (no one questioned it because of the cast on my foot but a little girl accused me of cutting, which was amusing because I was in line just like everyone else).The "card" is not what was implied to you. Disneyland has what is called a "Guest Assistance Card". This card has stamps on it. Depending on your limitations, it can aid you. An example, if a child needs to use their stroller as a wheelchair and take their stroller in line, there is a stamp for that. If you can't do stairs, there is a stamp for that. There is also a stamp to allow you to use handicap accessible lines without a wheelchair. Now, California Adventure is fully accessible. There are no special lines needed for wheelchairs, as all lines are able to handle a wheelchair. Now, there is a special stamp that is limited generally to "Make A Wish" participants. That does allow those to go to the front of the line without wait. This would include going through the exit at TSM. But, I really doubt you would have qualified for it.

Toocherie
04-13-2009, 03:28 PM
What they are talking about is a GAC card . . . . but if you are in a wheelchair there really isn't a need for one. TSMM and most of the other DCA rides are "mainstream"--i.e., people in wheelchairs and ECVs go in the same lines with everyone else (and did you notice the area to the left from where regular loading is? that's the accessible loading area). To my knowledge, the only exceptions to this policy are people (like autistic kids, for example) who cannot tolerate waiting in lines--in that instance, because their disability may not be apparent, their parent/guardian would go to Guest Relations and get them a GAC card because they were unable to wait in lines. In that instance, what is supposed to happen is that they would go up the exit at TSMM and the CM would give them a card to return at whatever the current wait time in the usual line was. However, I have been in the regular line--in an ECV--and have seen lots of people with GAC cards go up the exit and get ushered to the accessible area right away.

If you are in a wheelchair or ECV, however, you are not supposed to need a GAC (although sometimes, since I can walk some, I will get one to avoid stairs). I agree with you, however, that the queue for TSMM is difficult to manuever in an ECV or wheelchair and I have sent an email about this to guest services with no response.

A GAC is not supposed to be a front of the line pass (and most times is not).

Toocherie
04-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Malcon--thanks for posting about the MAW exception--that explains why I have seen people be ushered to the accessible area immediately instead of going through the maintstream line or getting a "come back later" pass.

erure
04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Oh thank you for clearing that up. Yeah it confused me even more when I saw another lady and her mother (or that's what it looked like) were in the special loading area and the mother was in a wheelchair -- I guess they had a GAC or something.

Toocherie
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Just curious--you weren't taken to the "accessible" area?

Where did you leave your wheelchair while you rode?

Being in the wheelchair you should have been directed to the accessible area too--otherwise you would need to go up and down stairs afterwards.:confused:

Malcon10t
04-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Oh thank you for clearing that up. Yeah it confused me even more when I saw another lady and her mother (or that's what it looked like) were in the special loading area and the mother was in a wheelchair -- I guess they had a GAC or something.I will wait through the regular line, then when I get to the loading area, if I don't think my ankle can handle the stairs, I will be moved to the access area. Then I get to wait til they bring a unit in there to load me, so again, the wait can be longer than in the regular line. That area has nothing to do with the exit.

Also note, if the ride breaks down while you are riding, they will offer a pass to return to the exit and get to ride immediately. So, if you have seen people go in the exit with a piece of paper, that could also be what it was from. (We did this in December.)

erure
04-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Just curious--you weren't taken to the "accessible" area?

Where did you leave your wheelchair while you rode?

Being in the wheelchair you should have been directed to the accessible area too--otherwise you would need to go up and down stairs afterwards.:confused:

Well I did go to the accessible area but I went through the exit the second time. The first time, I got to the ride just fine on the wheelchair and parked it just before I got on the ride -- when I got off the ride, they had the wheelchair waiting for me at the accessible area.