PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or is DL starting to get unfriendly?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Netalff
04-10-2009, 12:16 PM
:| I have been at college for 2 years and just returned to Disney land resort, and I am shocked by some of the small changes. The prices are higher of course, but the products and the food seems to have gone 2 ways. More "fru fru" expensive, like the Blue Bayou and the watch shop. Also the CM's just seem less attentive to guests needs. I had a run in with a suit and tie semi manager over where to stand for a parade. We have had a Primer AP for several years and have gone over 300 times, and it just is not the same. Anyone have the same thoughts?

adriennek
04-10-2009, 01:13 PM
I pushed the wrong button but that's ok because none of the answers fits mine.

I suppose the best would have been (but that's not the one I hit) - "things change it's fine" - but I'm not sure I see the same changes you're seeing so I guess a better answer, for me would be: I'm not upset but I don't see the same things. I'm still seeing plenty of happy CMs. I've seen the expensive prices for years so that doesn't seem to be a change for me.

And just to clarify if anyone's wondering: Yes, we usually fix spelling errors in titles but I don't know how to edit polls so I can't fix "Vary(sic)"

Adrienne

Malcon10t
04-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I suppose the best would have been (but that's not the one I hit) - "things change it's fine" - but I'm not sure I see the same changes you're seeing so I guess a better answer, for me would be: I'm not upset but I don't see the same things. I'm still seeing plenty of happy CMs. I've seen the expensive prices for years so that doesn't seem to be a change for me.I have to agree with you. (But what is new...) I've not seen the same thing the OP stated. Things change, prices go up, look at gas! Yes, I am a PAP too, but don't usually argue with the suits. More often they tend to be asking me how I am doing.

backsthepack
04-10-2009, 02:45 PM
We go over a lot, we just got home a couple of weeks ago from the most recent trip. I don't see it. I think they are just as friendly as ever and very attentive to our needs. The only changes I have noticed is in the pricing, but hey, that is happening in every day life as well.

We stayed at the DLH this past trip and the staff couldn't have been more attentive to our needs/wants if they wanted to.

Katran
04-10-2009, 02:53 PM
I haven't been since February 2007, but all my previous trips have been very pleasant. CM's have been extremely friendly and accommodating. I wish I could say the same for some of the guests. :rolleyes:

adriennek
04-10-2009, 04:25 PM
I have to agree with you. (But what is new...) I've not seen the same thing the OP stated. Things change, prices go up, look at gas! Yes, I am a PAP too, but don't usually argue with the suits. More often they tend to be asking me how I am doing.

Yep.

Blue Bayou has always been, imo, pricey for the experience. It's always been "fru fru." Character meals have always been pricier than just eating at a regular restaurant. There have always been different levels of restaurants.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
04-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Yep.

Blue Bayou has always been, imo, pricey for the experience. It's always been "fru fru." Character meals have always been pricier than just eating at a regular restaurant. There have always been different levels of restaurants.

AdrienneRight, and the watch shop is great, but expensive. I really am not sure what the OP was expecting. To be honest, what it COULD be is the poster grew up. Often kids don't notice a lot of things, then when they get older it seems like things changed.

Life happens.

Schmetterling
04-10-2009, 05:36 PM
My only bad experience was in 06 we were there on my birthday. I was kind of excited just to be there, and be able to wear the sticker. But I didn't have a single CM tell me happy birthday. We were even talking to one before Big Thunder and he just commented on my shirt. That was it. I ended up taking it off halfway through the day because I just felt like people were looking at me like the stickers were only for kids. It was still a good birthday, just sad for me because I had high expectations. But everything that's fun nowadays usually costs money. It would be nice if we could barter. lol :D

sjcivilady
04-10-2009, 05:45 PM
And I actually don't think the meals in the regular dland restaurants are that bad for a theme park -- I just spent $7 today for a sandwich at a deli near where I work. That's all, just a sandwich - and I didn't get to sit in the Happiest Place on Earth while I ate it. I don't feel I spend a lot for meals in the park - BUT I am not trying to feed a family of 6 either - just myself. Often I will split a meal or we just eat lunch in the park and eat dinner in the room. My friend who has 5 kids will bring pb&j and then eat dinner in their room. She told me that they have done a trip to dland for 5 days and spent I think $150 on food total (when they just had 4 kids).
Unless you're a wealthy student, everything will be expensive for you - you're at your poverty stage - anyone who has gone to college full time can attest to that. I think I got to go to disneyland once while I was in college (in no calif) - only because my mom and stepdad treated my brother and I. Just my .02

olegc
04-10-2009, 07:43 PM
i answered - but for me I would have said "it's still a great place to go, and since it has so many people, there will be a few bouts of grumbling"

I will say I have noticed indifference more often from younger CMs in the last few years - but not enough for me to say it's a significant change.

And when I do take the family (I am the only one with a PAP) we do watch out for what we spend - it's 6 meals a pop and that's VERY hard to do on a budget.

Bytebear
04-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I think with all the amazing changes going on at DCA, I can give things at DL a little slack. It's still a beautiful clean park. The gardens are great. Every time I go to another amusement park I am reminded how nice Disneyland is.

Kristina27
04-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Funny we had the same birthday experience last week with my 3 year old ds and I thought it was because of the new birthday promo that the cm's were just sick of saying happy birthday. I too was so excited because my little guy was turning 3 and we hyped it up for him. Not a sinlge cm at any of the rides said happy birthday to him. Then we had dinner at Goofy's kitchen and even after I told the waiter it was his birthday the waiter just said oh ok. Hello, we are in the middle of this whole "celebrate" thing at Disney and I just dropped $200 for a dinner I thought they should have hyped up the "Happy Birthday" a bit. They did of course bring him a cupcake and sing later but I was just hoping for some more excitement considering that is the whole promotion now. We went last year for both of my boys birthdays (both in April) and we had several cm's saying it to them at the rides. So maybe it just depends who you get??

cstephens
04-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm confused. The Blue Bayou and watch shop have been there for years. So what's the change?

ginap73
04-10-2009, 09:46 PM
It's the Happiest place on earth.

I have been going my whole life.. the older i get, the more fun it gets there.
I no longer believe the characters are lurking around every corner and out to get me. like some of my family led me to believe. it was tramatizing as a child sometimes to go, because of my fear of characters.. as an adult i still don't like them but i have learned to avoid them.

about cast members, they have bad days. I have seen some non happy female cast members, but they could be PMSing and I don't take it personally.. they could be feeling bad, forced to work long hours in the heat and in an uncomfortable costume.. or family probs or school stress etc.
I can't remember ever seeing a guy cast member cranky.. but i am sure there has been. But i have compassion for the cast members, because even though they are on stage and have a way to act, they are people, with real people problems.. and plus some visitors can be really rude to them.. so just because they can be cranky, or whatever doesn't mean it should be taken personally to the point of ruining a trip, cause it could not even be DL related.

about $ i have never paid high prices for anything. if it's too much, i don't need it. or i save for it. I don't expect to pay 1979 prices for 2009 stuff. prices go up.. that's the way things are.

the only time i had a bad experience with $ was almost 30 years ago when I was 6 and tried to pay for some dominoes at the emporium and didn't know about sales tax. but some person behind me paid the sales tax.. and saved the day..

about Parades.. I make sure i am aware of my surroundings and that it's ok to stand or sit where i am planning on being.

Last year I celebrated my bday 3 times at disneyland and if they forget this year to say happy birthday, i wont mind... But My grandma got doted on this year.. maybe because she's older and in a wheel chair but people all over disneyland came up and said happy birthday to her. and the cast member in jungle cruise led the boat in a song.

jcruise86
04-11-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm confused. The Blue Bayou and watch shop have been there for years. So what's the change?
I don't know about the watch shop, but I took my wife to the BB on our first date and it worked (:)!) so I've has a strong emotional attachment to that restaurant.

I hope one of our historians more skilled with the Internet will fill in the details with exact dates and menus.
About a year or three ago (exact dates anyone?) the BB was closed, then re-opened with much higher prices.

Some guests were particularly put off by a $5 split plate fee which was just increased to $12. (Others defended the fee.) I'd like to see menus of the BB from 10, 5, and three years ago (or whenever) contrasted with the menu today. I haven't been back there in about 8 years because of the prices and I miss it.

I'm also waiting for the Celebration BBQ prices to fall so we can check that out.

DisneyFunFamily4
04-11-2009, 07:58 AM
We go just about every other month and we haven't had any bad experiences with any CM's that I can recall, I can however recall many fantastic experiences with CMs. We usually celebrate both the girls B-days at DL over the summer, and occasionally we celebrate our anniversary or our B-days, and we always get noticed by CM and they say Happy B-day etc. As for the increase in prices, it's DL and it's expensive... But we expect to spend a lot at DL, we figure we're just doing our part to help out the economy...:D

The old man
04-11-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm going to have to question this poll. The OP doesn't define what changes they're referring to, nor the time frame. I don't see its usefulness.

Tinkermommy
04-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Funny we had the same birthday experience last week with my 3 year old ds and I thought it was because of the new birthday promo that the cm's were just sick of saying happy birthday.

We had the same experience when we spent three days at the DLR for the Tinkerteen's 13th birthday in February. For example, we ate at the Storyteller's brunch on her birthday, and they noted on the seating card that it was her birthday. But nobody even wished her a happy birthday, and I left scratching my head over why they bothered to note it.

The DLH has ALWAYS given her balloons, a key with her favorite character and a photo during her annual birthday trip (and indicated, unprompted, that they would do balloons when I made the reservation). They, too, did nothing. The only actual acknowledgement of her birthday was the pricey gift basket I purchased through the hotel. Then, the bell desk lost the Mickey that had been in the basket -- and a CM gave me attitude about it. I couldn't believe it.

I thought maybe there were just so many people "celebrating" during the current promotion that some CMs had grown weary of it. I also thought that if they were tired of it by the first week in February, it was going to be a very disappointing year for a lotta people answering the call to celebrate at the DLR...

Do I think DL overall is getting more unfriendly? Nah. I do think, as someone posted, that the unhappiness of people in general seems to increase with crowd levels in the parks (and heat).

But our weekend was not a busy or hot weekend -- in fact, it rained most of the time we were there and crowds were light. Honestly, it was so not special as a birthday trip that I'm seriously thinking of breaking a longstanding tradition and going somewhere else for her next birthday.

AZCardsGirl
04-11-2009, 09:27 AM
I was last there in Sept. for my birthday and had a great time. Personally, I think everything is better there since Eisner left.

I wore my birthday badge and got a lot of Happy Birthday's from CMs and guests alike. (And I ain't young.) Also got treated like a queen at the restaurant we ate at in NOS and a free dessert with a candle in it to boot! No complaints there.

As a former Annual Pass Holder and resident of Anaheim I have been to the park 100s of times and I've never even spoken with a "suit". Well, once a security guard (if they count) pointed out to me that the park was full of "birders" because a rare bird was gracing Tom Sawyer's Island with it's presence. I enjoyed being told that. Felt like I was getting the inside scoop on something.

That said, there are some pretty rude guests. My guess is that those same people are also rude in Target.

Netalff
04-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Ok, ok this was my first poll, but the next one will be better.
As to the watch shop, it has been reset along with the candy shop. They worked out the traffic flow and were able to add more stuff to sell in less space, also price is important as they now have more high end watches that most guest will never be able to buy. The majority of the items are made in China, but they charge like it was made in Beverly Hills. Although I am in college, I am 57 yrs. old and have gone to DL since 1957. Most older CM know how to treat guest, it's the young ones who need better guest relation training. The suit I mentioned didn't care that I was inside the roped area, he just wanted to shove more people into the small space. Yes they get frustrated with first timers, but decorum must be observed. The rest of the changes that I have observed are, quality verses profit on the items sold at DL. The CM's wages have not kept pace with the economic inflation, because of the Disney corporate losses, so cost cutting measures were taken. This lead to price increases to protect the corporation. I have purchased shares of Disney stock over the years and keep a close eye on the financial workings of Disney. But I also love DL, and will spend my birthday there on 4/17. By the way, I proudly wear my Club 33 pin, so if you see me say hi, I'll be the gray haired kid, who looks like Geppetto, grinning from ear to ear.
Stephen :geek:

Rkkm
04-11-2009, 02:03 PM
My adult pal (age 48) went with me for her birthday last Monday. She had so many CMs wishing her "Happy B-day" that she took off the button! She got tired of it! It started the moment she got the button at the ticket booth in front of the entrance and continued throughout the day.

I think that working with crowds of people must get very tiring, even when you know that is an integral part of your job. I can forgive CMs who are too pooped to pop at the end of their shift .. or maybe have been out too late the night before and are not feeling super cheery.

My only "unfriendly" Disneyland comment is the condition of the CM's outfits. Some look so shabby. I have been told that CMs are responsible for the care and cleaning of their uniforms. So maybe some are not as skilled at laundry as others. But it does take away from the atmosphere.

backsthepack
04-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Ok, I don't get the birthday thing everyone is posting about. We were there, as stated above, a couple of weeks ago (more like 3 now that I think of it). I wore my birthday button and was told Happy Birthday by everyone and I mean everyone. Not a single cast member at the resort or at Disneyland missed me, I don't think. Even other guests said it to me more than once!

Chadsgal
04-11-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't think they are getting unfriendly persay but I do think the general public is much worse then it used to be. So that could make the cast members more on edge. When I worked for the Disney Store, back when it was stilled owned by Disney. We were highly recommended to go backstage if we had a encounter w/ a guest that we needed to cool down from so that we could always be putting on a good show. I don't think DL employees get the luxury of taking a chill break if needed.

Katran
04-12-2009, 08:32 AM
I don't think they are getting unfriendly persay but I do think the general public is much worse then it used to be. So that could make the cast members more on edge.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the case.

Toocherie
04-12-2009, 09:30 AM
My only "unfriendly" Disneyland comment is the condition of the CM's outfits. Some look so shabby. I have been told that CMs are responsible for the care and cleaning of their uniforms. So maybe some are not as skilled at laundry as others. But it does take away from the atmosphere.

Actually, my understanding is that CMs have the choice of doing the laundering of their uniforms themselves or having the DL laundry do it. I know one CM I complimented one day (and said she looked so neat and fresh) commented that she did her own because she felt she did a better job than the company laundry. So it might be that it's the other way around--the ones who look nice do it themselves.