PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair Comfort

fronkfam
04-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this but.....
Our next trip is in July. We've never gone during the summer before and I'm a bit worried about our son in a wheelchair in the heat. What can I do to make sure he's as cool as possible? We don't use a chair on a regular basis, but the park is just too much for him. We'll be renting. Can I attach some sort of shade or anything to the chair?

Thanks!

Malcon10t
04-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Are you renting from Disneyland or from offsite? Offsite, you can probably add to the chair. I am not sure what your son's disability is, but I would recommend the cooling vests (http://www.arcticheatusa.com/) they have for some disabilities. They work very well. They also just have cooling neckerchiefs which might work for him. I really would not recommend an umbrella, they are pains when you are moving through a crowded park, and attached to a chair, they are at other's eye level.

If you give us some idea of his needs, we might have other ideas.

fronkfam
04-09-2009, 02:25 PM
He has severe autism and seizure disorder. He is completely non-verbal and can't tell us if he is too hot, and one of his meds makes him more sensitive to the heat. We are certainly considering a cooling neckerchief or something, but I haven't seen a cooling vest before. Where can I find them?

We will be renting off-site. Probably Deckarts. We rented from them last time.

The reason he uses the chair is he has really low muscle tone and walking the park is just too much for him. It is also for peace-of-mind if he has a seizure. Because we can't carry him anymore.

Thanks so much for the input!

Drince88
04-09-2009, 02:35 PM
We are certainly considering a cooling neckerchief or something, but I haven't seen a cooling vest before. Where can I find them?

I am not sure what your son's disability is, but I would recommend the cooling vests (http://www.arcticheatusa.com/) they have for some disabilities.
Click on the underlined words in her post to see one site - they have a "buy now" link.

Make sure he stays hydrated (which can be hard if he's non-verbal). Personally, I like a straw hat to keep me cooler, but I'm not sure how well he'd do with that.

I know I've seen some ECVs at WDW that have sun shades - but I've never noticed a wheel chair with one - and I think it'd be harder to 'keep your eye' on him with one, since it would be between your eyes and him.

fronkfam
04-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Oh dear! I didn't even check. Sorry!! Its just been THAT kind of day!

Malcon10t
04-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Oh dear! I didn't even check. Sorry!! Its just been THAT kind of day!They aren't cheap, but if you can get your doctor to write a prescription, at least you could write it off your taxes. There are probably other places that have them cheaper.

fronkfam
04-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Yeah, they are a bit pricey. The cooling tubes look like a good deal though. I would certainly consider buying a vest if we were traveling during the summer more often.

Any idea if one of those clip-on umbrella- type stroller shades would work on a wheelchair? They're cheap enough, and look small enough to not get in the way. I'm going to have to look at one in person.

Malcon10t
04-10-2009, 07:13 PM
They're cheap enough, and look small enough to not get in the way. I'm going to have to look at one in person.Is he a small 9yo? If he is on the smaller side, would he be willing to ride in the DL stroller instead of a wheelchair? It has the awning that might work better. Then you go to City Hall, explain the situation to them, and they can give you a pass to treat the stroller like a wheelchair.

fronkfam
04-11-2009, 06:52 AM
He is a rather small 9 year old, but he is getting too big for our own strollers. He is very slender but his legs are getting too long for strollers. I also worry about them 'selling out' because we'll be there when it is so busy. Thanks for the wonderful ideas! It always helps to have more than just my brain thinking through these problems.

candles71
04-11-2009, 10:40 AM
As far as the strollers, my dd was 9 last year when we went, she is very tall and slender also. and is all leg. I want to say she was 52" last year. she's 10 and 55 1/2 now. And she fit the DL strollers. she didn't put her feet on the "tray" for the foot rest she put hers on the bar that goes across the top of the wheels and was still comfy. She only got to ride at night when she was tired though, so I'm not sure how they would be in the heat.

Malcon10t
04-11-2009, 11:33 AM
DL strollers are considerably larger than standard strollers. I just threw it out as he may be more comfortable in that if he is small enough. I hope you can find something that works for him.

fronkfam
04-11-2009, 03:22 PM
It's nice to know how big the strollers are. Would there be a chance of them running out of them in the summer months? We'll be there in July. Also, if we leave for naps, are we likely to get one again when we come back? I assume we don't have to pay for it twice?

Thanks Malcon10t and candles71 and Drince88.

I REALLY appreciate the help!

Malcon10t
04-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Is there a chance of running out? Maybe, but not if you are there before noon. And once you have it, it is yours all day. You turn it in when you leave, and pick one up when you come back. (And if you have DIsney Visa, its free.)

fronkfam
04-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Fantastic! That just might work for us. I had no idea you kept the same stroller all day even if you left. Thanks so much!

Malcon10t
04-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Fantastic! That just might work for us. I had no idea you kept the same stroller all day even if you left. Thanks so much!Maybe I wasn't clear. You won't have the "same" stroller, but they will make sure one is there for you.

DVCmom
04-11-2009, 08:31 PM
We are taking my mom this summer and I took many notes on our last few trips. The best things we saw were the electric wheelchairs. They had baskets and shades. NO WAY CAN SHE DO THIS@!@! We tried at Walmart several times at nonbusy times and it just did not work. She has no judge of speed and distance. She has had 4 brain surgeries and her reflexes are not the same. She is a small person so I do not think pushing her will be a big deal. I too was worried about sun and comfort for her. We are going in July for her 61st birthday...her 1st trip. She's worn a Mickey watch every day of her life since she was little. After surgery each time all she recognized was the Mickey I placed in her bed. Sorry...off track...I too am worried about them being "out" as well as her adjustment of riding. She can not hold out to buy groceries so we are NOT gonna try at WDW!!!! We are at Kidani, I requested a room close to the bus stop. Other ideas are welcome!!!

adriennek
04-12-2009, 12:38 AM
I too am worried about them being "out" as well as her adjustment of riding. She can not hold out to buy groceries so we are NOT gonna try at WDW!!!! We are at Kidani, I requested a room close to the bus stop. Other ideas are welcome!!!

I don't know anything about how this works in Florida but based on my experiences in Anaheim, I would investigate renting or acquiring a wheelchair from an outside resource.

You mentioned that she has trouble just getting groceries. Might your mom be eligible for a wheelchair through her physician? Then you would have her chair to take with you from home, not just once you're at the resorts. Also, I don't know about WDW, but the wheelchairs at DL are big and heavy and bulky. Often times, chairs you could get from another source or a personal chair would be much more comfortable both to ride in and for the person/people pushing. Even with a lightweight passenger, those bulky chairs can be very cumbersome by the end of the day.

Adrienne

DVCmom
04-12-2009, 06:20 AM
Thank you for the idea. Will look into it. Anyone have personal experience with a company?

fronkfam
04-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Maybe I wasn't clear. You won't have the "same" stroller, but they will make sure one is there for you.
I understand! Thanks!