PDA

View Full Version : 40th Anniversary Collector's Cards

Permanecer Sentados
07-13-2001, 02:07 PM
Anyone remember these?

Basically, one card each (from 1955-1995) to commemorate a significant event that occurred in that particular year. There was also a bonus 41st card that commemorated the opening of Indy. I was unfortunate enough not to get an intact complete set, so I had to go every day to get my cards. In between college classes. Which was an hour drive each way at the time.

If anyone remembers, it also rained a lot during some of those days, making certain cards more difficult to get than others. Active trading of cards was encouraged, but if you were caught trying to sell, trouble awaited.

I only got about 25 or 26 out of the 41 cards. Are they worth anything today? I think that was one of their last great promos.

Kevin Yee
07-13-2001, 02:55 PM
There were fewer APs in those days, too. That was the beginning of the cheap AP in those days, so not everyone and their brother had one, meaning cards were a little more scarce for that reason also.

I was a CM at the time, so my reason for not having a complete set was more about inconvenience. We were about to lose our parking lot, and Bambi lot had recently been taken for AP preferred parking, so it was a lot of walking. Wish I'd gotten a full set, though.

Permanecer Sentados
07-17-2001, 03:12 PM
So, no one else remembers these or got any of these?
It was only 6 years ago...

Lani
07-17-2001, 03:21 PM
I've had a conversation with a gentleman who has two sets of these. He and his family were APs at the time, and apparently by a fluke they were visiting on the very first day so they found out about it right away. After that, he and his son (I believe) would rush to the park together after he got off of work everyday, to make sure they got one. If I recall correctly, as the month went along he said people were starting to show up to do trades out by the entrance, so then he started going to the park in the morning BEFORE work to make sure he got the cards. Something like that. He was very proud that he had two sets, anyway.

I think he said it was worth several hundred dollars, but I can be totally misremembering.