PDA

View Full Version : Are the new DCA swings in movie "Adventureland"?

jcruise86
04-05-2009, 09:55 AM
I just saw the movie "Adventureland" about young people working in a below-average amusement park in the 1980s. The park in the film included a swing ride that resembled the one that is to replace DCA's giant orange swing ride, except that it looked kind of cheap.
Disney's artists made DCA's version look beautiful, but it was just a drawing.

With better lights and a less obstructed view of DCA, the improved attraction might be spectacular at night and add to the great flying tradition of Dumbo, Peter Pan, and Soarin'. But I'm concerned that if it isn't at least a better version of the one shown in "Adventureland," that DCA will be getting another "off the shelf" ride.

So will DCA's new swing ride be substantially better than the one in the movie?

If you haven't seen the movie, you don't have to write back to say, "I don't know. I haven't seen the movie." :geek:

If anyone could post photos of other swing rides that resemble DCA's, I might treat you to a churro. . .at Costco.

oregontraveler
04-05-2009, 10:11 AM
OK I understand the post, and I saw the movie on Friday. BUT I hate to burst
your bubble, but the Orange Stinger is commonly known as a 'Wave Swinger'
in other parks. Only DCA enclosed it. So when its transformed into the
Silly Symphony Swings, it'll look like every other 'off the shelf' ride.

BTW: Adventureland is based off the director's life working at that park in
Long Island. But since they've updated since 1987, the film was shot
at Kennywood in Pensylvania.

The old man
04-05-2009, 11:31 AM
With better lights and a less obstructed view of DCA, the improved attraction might be spectacular at night and add to the great flying tradition of Dumbo, Peter Pan, and Soarin'.

I have no idea how a standard amusement park ride, with "better lighting", would ever match the imaginative design of PP or the greatness of SOC. You may notice that the swings just go round and round.

jcruise86
04-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I have no idea how a standard amusement park ride, with "better lighting", would ever match the imaginative design of PP or the greatness of SOC. You may notice that the swings just go round and round.
You conveniently left out Dumbo--the other ride I mentioned! ! ! ! :mad: :eek: :mad: :geek: :mad:
Dumbo also "just" goes round and round, as does the carousel, merry-go-round, and the train; and these are all fine attractions.

The earth "just" goes round and round the sun, and the moon "just" goes round and round the earth. Does that mean that God's creation was uninspired?
You may be old, Old Man, but do you really imagine yourself so superior to God and Walt Disney? Are you going to change your pseudonym to "The old god"?!

jcruise86
04-05-2009, 03:43 PM
OK I understand the post, and I saw the movie on Friday. BUT I hate to burst
your bubble, but the Orange Stinger is commonly known as a 'Wave Swinger'
in other parks. Only DCA enclosed it. So when its transformed into the
Silly Symphony Swings, it'll look like every other 'off the shelf' ride.

BTW: Adventureland is based off the director's life working at that park in
Long Island. But since they've updated since 1987, the film was shot
at Kennywood in Pensylvania.
You did burst my bubble and like Travolta in that old TV movie, I'm doomed. :crying:

I've wanted to go to Kennywood, but it didn't look too impressive in this movie.

My daughter and I watched people riding the Orange Stinger and all of them seemed to be smiling. And there was a nice orange odor too!
Even if it is "off the shelf" the view of the improved DCA will make this a nice ride. If only I could live to see it.

The old man
04-05-2009, 03:58 PM
You conveniently left out Dumbo--the other ride I mentioned! ! ! ! :mad: :eek: :mad: :geek: :mad:
Dumbo also "just" goes round and round, as does the carousel, merry-go-round, and the train; and these are all fine attractions.

The earth "just" goes round and round the sun, and the moon "just" goes round and round the earth. Does that mean that God's creation was uninspired?
You may be old, Old Man, but do you really imagine yourself so superior to God and Walt Disney? Are you going to change your pseudonym to "The old god"?!

:confused:

ChurroGirl
04-05-2009, 06:43 PM
I have not seen the movie just yet, tomorrow.

But I love Dumbo, not so much AstroOrbitor, and I very much dislike the Orange Spinner of Death. It looks scary and you wont catch me riding it.

With the new theme to it, that sounds really cool, Silly Symphony Swings. If they scale it down a bit or what not maybe I might try it out.

ChurroGirl
04-05-2009, 06:43 PM
:confused:

Exactly....

Malcon10t
04-05-2009, 07:05 PM
:confused:We don't agree often, but we are here... :confused:

jcruise86
04-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Exactly....
Couldn't agree more! :|

I regret that I am formally rescinding my offer of a free Costco churro for whomever posts a photo of a swing ride resembling the one drawn by Disney. I started thinking about all the eccentric people who must read Mouseplanet (pin traders, Small World repeat riders, those who pay $37 for BBQ, etc.) and began to fear meeting a Mouseplanet stranger at a Costco.

ChurroGirl, I hope that you in particular will forgive me for denying you the snack that bears your name.

jcruise86
04-05-2009, 07:23 PM
OK, a lot of crazy things were written in the heat of the moment, things we can never take back. :eek: Mistakes were made. I take full responsibility for any statements made by my administration that may have been misinterpreted. But there's nothing wrong about this DCA swings thread that we can't fix with what's right about this DCA swings thread.

Now as the OP :geek:, I come with an olive branch to guide this thread back on track. :)
So again, I ask: will the new swings ride be a beautiful addition, or an embarrassing eye sore?
Haters need not reply; this is MY THREAD!
(Attention MP moderators: I view all of you with the appropriate mixture of fear and respect and didn't really mean that "my thread" stuff!)

The old man
04-05-2009, 08:32 PM
OK, a lot of crazy things were written in the heat of the moment, things we can never take back. :eek: Mistakes were made. I take full responsibility for any statements made by my administration that may have been misinterpreted. But there's nothing wrong about this DCA swings thread that we can't fix with what's right about this DCA swings thread.
We'll reset. :)

olegc
04-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Now as the OP :geek:, I come with an olive branch to guide this thread back on track. :)
So again, I ask: will the new swings ride be a beautiful addition, or an embarrassing eye sore?
Haters need not reply; this is MY THREAD!
(Attention MP moderators: I view all of you with the appropriate mixture of fear and respect and didn't really mean that "my thread" stuff!)

look, who knows? many times artists renderings of planned attractions look way better than the finished product. Many of DCA's planned areas for Opening Day were much more lavish in the artwork than the final product that came out because the top brass decided to cut costs. So - until the attraction is finally released you won't have anything except people's best guesses as to what it might be. that's all...

in the end - it's still a carnival swing ride with some theming to it. If you like riding that kind of thing (like my wife does) then you will smile as you ride it. If you don't, you won't ride it and move on... it's that simple...

jcruise86
04-06-2009, 04:13 AM
. . . many times artists renderings of planned attractions look way better than the finished product. Many of DCA's planned areas for Opening Day were much more lavish in the artwork than the final product that came out because the top brass decided to cut costs. So - until the attraction is finally released you won't have anything except people's best guesses as to what it might be. that's all...
. . . ... it's that simple...
You're right. Good post.

ralfrick
04-07-2009, 05:14 AM
[b][size="3"] but do you really imagine yourself so superior to god and walt disney?

ygbfkm!

ChurroGirl
04-07-2009, 07:17 PM
With the fact that they are going to try and theme it towards the Silly Symphony's I hope that it honors them well. The Silly Symphony's are one of my favorite things to watch, The GrassHopper and the Ant> Oh the world owes me a livin'...., One of my all time favorites.

I by some chance that the reality of the theme goes a-schew then like they are doing now, back to the drawing board. Thats what Walt did, over and over till he got it right.

So lets just wait and see what happens, what the Imagineers bring us and hope that it is in the style of the old Walt who first started it all.

jcruise- I dont care for Costco churros, I just make my own!

Bytebear
04-07-2009, 07:44 PM
A lot of the theming really has to do with the details, like intricate railings, artistic lighting, and making it feel like a special place. Look at the queue of Screamin' for an example of how not to do it. With the lower boardwalk around the swings, I think it will be a nice place to just sit and watch then go round and round.

jcruise86
04-07-2009, 08:25 PM
ygbfkm!
Yes, I was kidding and I thought readers would know it and find my absurd over-reaction funny. Apparently it wasn't and I'm sorry, especially to "the old man."

I still think this old-fashioned part of DCA has the potential to be beautiful, particularly at night. I hope (as Bytebear and Churrogirl expressed) that they do it right and make this swing ride and its surrounding area look ornate and themed to Disney's highest standards.

HobbitFeet
04-07-2009, 11:51 PM
I still think this old-fashioned part of DCA has the potential to be beautiful, particularly at night.

I thought the Orange around it was already beautiful, most especially at night.

The ride scares me, and taking away the enclosing orange absolutely 100% guarantees that you'll never catch me on the swing-you-round throw-you-to-your-death "silly" swings. At least with the orange you might just hit the wall.

I loved DCA before they announced the tinkering, and I wish the orange would stay. Even though I'll never go on the ride.

(otherwise it is and will be yet another round and round ride, bleargh)

Toocherie
04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
At least with the orange you might just hit the wall.

:D Molly--that line really cracked me up!

GORGON
04-08-2009, 10:51 AM
I love the big orange, it was always my favorite landmark at DCA.
Saying that i agree swing rides freak me out but i still ride everytime i go. I am so glad i did, If i didn't i would have regretted not riding in the big orange. Maybe John Stamos will buy it the thing. Or does anyone know where it is going to end up?