PDA

View Full Version : DL Restricting Capacity at 1:00 on 12/27/02

Not Afraid
12-27-2002, 12:58 PM
There have been a couple of recent reports from the park about the park restricting entrance due to capacity.

Techie7 was on the tram as the announcement was made that "Disneyland is currently at capacity and guests are being directed to DCA instead. DL will re-open between 4:30 and 5:30 pm. A visitor who already has a ticket for DL can use their ticket for DCA and may return to DL after the Park is reopened.

AVP spoke to the Manager of Ticket Sales who reported that purchases of NEW one-day tickets are being restricted but multi-day park hoppers and APs will be admitted. The park is currently NOT at capacity and will fully re-open at around 4:30 or 5:00. There is awareness that the information in the tram spiel is not correct and they are doing their best to correct it ASAP.

From the Charming Shoppe News Desk.......:rolleyes:

Lisa

tabacco
12-27-2002, 01:02 PM
Which manager? :)

Not Afraid
12-27-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
Which manager? :)

Don't know other than he was male.

Andrew
12-27-2002, 01:08 PM
Update from AVP:

The DLR ticket booths have suspended sales of new one-day Disneyland-only tickets. If you already have any kind of Disneyland admission media (Annual Passport, one-day or multi-day park-hopper, etc.) you will be allowed into the park.

The ticket booths will sell you a ticket to DCA that will also be valid at Disneyland once the gates reopen to new admissions, sometime late this afternoon.

This is all due to extraordinary crowds at Disneyland.

Also of note: The two Rose Bowl teams (someone more familiar with college football than I can fill in the team names) will make an appearance at DCA this afternoon at around 2:30.

The Downtown Disney lot (the old Pinocchio parking lot on Disneyland Drive/West St) is almost completely full.

Credit: All this is from Techie7 via AVP.

Laffite
12-27-2002, 01:48 PM
It's the Friday after Christmas, and before New Year. 'Tis not surprising.

The Rose parade honor band is at the park as well. I'm supposed to be there today to see the band, but I'm almost glad I went to the hospital instead. :rolleyes:

Preston

HBTiggerFan
12-27-2002, 04:14 PM
I just got home from the DLR. (yes, I had to do something other than cry all day). It was SO crowded. There was a 100 minute wait for GRR (around 1pm), 100 minute wait for PotC, 161 minute wait for Splash Mtn (at 3:15pm). The stores were packed, the walkways were packed, the cues were packed. It was insane!!!!

Grandbreaker
12-27-2002, 08:26 PM
so why did you go if you knew it might be crowed ?

HBTiggerFan
12-27-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Grandbreaker
so why did you go if you knew it might be crowed ?

First of all I went because while crowded I didn't anticipate how crowded it would really be, and second, I went because of THIS (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12580) I had to do SOMETHING today.

Andrew
12-27-2002, 09:22 PM
HBTF (or anyone else who braved the crowds today), do you happen to know when the Disneyland gates were re-opened to new ticketholders? Early in the afternoon they had guessed it would be around 4:30-5:00.

HBTiggerFan
12-27-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
HBTF (or anyone else who braved the crowds today), do you happen to know when the Disneyland gates were re-opened to new ticketholders? Early in the afternoon they had guessed it would be around 4:30-5:00.

I had no idea that they actually closed the gates to new ticketholders at all. I do know that the lady infront of us had an "invalid AP" because her new one was at home but her old one was not expired yet.

We left around 4:00. Sorry Andrew

Andrew
12-27-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
I had no idea that they actually closed the gates to new ticketholders at all. I do know that the lady infront of us had an "invalid AP" because her new one was at home but her old one was not expired yet.

We left around 4:00. Sorry Andrew

That's okay, hope you had a good time anyway!

lindyhop
12-27-2002, 09:46 PM
My son (CM in Transportation & Parking) said they were telling people as they drove in to the toll booths that they had to buy DCA tickets but they would become "park-hoppers" after 4:30. He got off work at 4:30 and said there was a mass migration taking place from DCA to DL!

(He also said they were expecting 88,000 attendance today. Last Sunday it was only about 26,000 but Monday was up to 55,000.)

RideMax Mark
12-28-2002, 12:31 PM
I was at the parks Mon-Fri and can say that Friday was by FAR the most crowded. The max wait on GRR Mon-Thurs was about 10 minutes!

Polar33
12-28-2002, 01:17 PM
Monday's attendance was actually much higher than 55k. The attendance level was called over the radios sometime late that afternoon at 70K. I believe that day's attendance peaked a few thousand people higher. Friday hit the 80K mark. DCA is said to have been in the upper 20K level...which is quite busy by their standards. I cant wait for NYE!

Thomas
12-28-2002, 06:44 PM
12/28...the park was packed as well. We got there around 12:00 and by 3pm, Indiana Jones had return times of after 11pm for FP, IASW 9:30pm, and Cartoon Spin was I think 8pm. We went on 2 rides for my kids 4th b-day (Autopia and Roger Rabbit). We left after this due to the crowds.

HBTiggerFan
12-28-2002, 07:21 PM
As Dexter and myself were getting ready to board the tram to go to the parks a woman stopped us and offered us 2 fastpasses for HMH. After explaining that they were actually good all day after the window (to make sure she didn't want to keep them until later) we accepted them. I caught a glimpse of what appeared to be regular paid passports. SO paying guests are leaving and not returning, it must be insane! (and it was)

Twinsmom
12-28-2002, 09:24 PM
I just want to chime in on Monday's attendance at DL -- it honestly felt like June at WDW's Magic Kingdom! It was wall to wall people. Thank goodness for fast pass! But, even in the FP line at Pirates we waited 20 minutes....

bluepearl
12-29-2002, 01:41 AM
I was pretty shocked to hear about this at around 12PM. World of Disney was unusually crowded for that time of day (at least for me). The crowds never thinned out. I was able to get on a tram with relative ease, but I did notice a lot of cars headed into the parking structure. I didn't even want to think of what it was like inside the park. I'm a little scared when New Years' Eve rolls around.

ldsguy
12-29-2002, 10:45 AM
Well, I was there on the 28th and I went to eat at the White Water Snack Bar, while I was there, the CM at the register said that the announcement came that both parks were restricting entry to one person out, one person in. This didn't last too overly long, as by the time I went to re-enter is was fairly calm, but I was also entering the GCH entrance, where most people don't enter, but people were leaving as I was coming in. It was definitely packed, first time I have ever felt like I couldn't move in DCA, even as cold as it was GRR had a 30 minute wait. People with tickets for the 6:15 showing of Aladdin were lining up about two hours in advance, let alone the stand by line.....the ticket line, started in it's normal spot, wrapped around to Muppets, then back the way it came all the way back to the start of the line before they let us in.....first time I have seen the start and end of that line next to each other. Then we were watching Barrage and during thier last set the wind kicked up and it started pouring rain....funny thing is Barrage was going to try to stay out and the techs forced them to go in, which was definitely understandable, so everyone rushed the monorail, luckily each monorail was about 5 minutes apart, but the line for the monorail was about 45 minutes I would guess.

I only went because I was driving back to San Diego from my parents house, where I was for Christmas up in Fresno, so it was my pit stop, not like it was a special trip or anything.