PDA

View Full Version : Playhouse Disney at DCA ?

JLKirscher
12-27-2002, 12:32 PM
Does anyone have any information on the new Playhouse Disney show that is replacing the Soap Opera Bistro in DCA??

refurbmike
12-27-2002, 02:24 PM
It's coming in April 2003, coincidentially around the same time Pooh opens. Can anybody say coat-tailing?

julia
12-27-2002, 05:47 PM
Hi!

Isn't it exciting that Playhouse Disney is coming? According to the latest information that I've heard (as of Dec. 20) , there is no specific date announced on the opening of Playhouse Disney - only a vague promise of Spring 2003. Disney seems to be really great about announcing dates as soon as they can, so we should have the information as soon as possible!

Happy New Year!
:) Julia

Dexter
12-27-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by julia
Isn't it exciting that Playhouse Disney is coming?

In a word. NO. I am going to miss ABCSOB, the food was really good. IMHO, we ate there a handful of times and I had 1 bad meal, the pasta left much to be desired, but other than that, they had really good food and my friends really liked some of the sets that we dined on.

HBTiggerFan
12-27-2002, 06:04 PM
Just what DCA needs. ANOTHER show. :rolleyes: If Playhouse Disney is a really really cool play area for all ages (like the toy story area that was once in tomorrowland) then yes, that will be exciting. If is just a show, then no.

Sheila
12-27-2002, 06:27 PM
The Playhouse Disney show at Disney-MGM Studios in Florida is a huge hit with the kids! Even grown-ups like it a lot. :D

If this show is the same as Florida's, I'm sure it will be a positive addition to the area, which is still rather short on family-friendly entertainment.

I don't really see how this would be coat-tailing the Pooh ride at DL, as it's really not related.... JMO. :)

Sheila

julia
12-27-2002, 07:05 PM
I am sorry that you are disappointed about losing the Soap Opera Bistro. It seems that soap operas appeal primarily to a fairly tight niche of visitors and that it just wasn't working as well as they had hoped. The Playhouse Disney at DisneyWorld is very popular and Disney is trying to give people on the West Coast the opportunity to enjoy some of the same attractions as those who go to Disney World. Hopefully, you will find a restaurant that you enjoyed just as much as the Soap Opera Bistro.

Have a great day!
Julia

ChipmunkStar
12-27-2002, 10:17 PM
But why dump WDW's same attractions at the DLR?

It drives me up the wall that rather than recieve something brand new and innovative, all we're getting are WDW leftovers.

HBTiggerFan
12-27-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by ChipmunkStar

It drives me up the wall that rather than recieve something brand new and innovative, all we're getting are WDW leftovers.

Hey, you took my reply!

Let me say this again. DCA does NOT need yet another show. Especially another show from WDW. I thought the point was to give visitors a reason to visit DCA. Well so far, we have like 3 or 4 original attractions, the rest are imports, most are shows! With the current list of imported attractions at DLR trying to entice new visitors why would they pick DL over WDW? I know that I wouldn't. :rolleyes: And to the casual visitor, or the person who has to pick a resort, the fact that DL is Walt's baby won't hold a candle to WDW, and no amount of imported attractions will help. New and original attractions will help.

Julia, I am so glad that you are so enthusiastic about this, I hope its everything you are planning on and that you enjoy this imported show as much as you enjoy original and innovative attractions that are only at the DLR and/or WDW.

EandCDad
12-28-2002, 05:11 AM
Imports don't bother me, if its a good ride or show, I'm happy to have it at DL or DCA, regardless of where it has been before. I'm not going to WDW anytime soon, so I'll gladly take Tower of Terror, Playhouse Disney, Pooh, etc.

I wish they would build a family oriented ride at DCA, like the Bug's Land stuff, but longer in the tradition of Peter Pan, but I'm glad they are trying to get more kid oriented stuff into DCA, a major complaint when they opened.

malin
12-28-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by ChipmunkStar

Ok I have just been working out how many attractions at DCA are WDW leftovers.

Jim Henson's Muppet Vision 3D
Disney Animation
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
Its Tough To Be A Bug
(Coming Soon)Play House Disney and TOT.

Now thats not many attractions when you think about it.And if you were to not have those WDW attractions at DCA I think you would be missing half the fun.Most guest at DLR are AP's who will never visit WDW so whats wrong with bringing these attractions over to the west coast.And besides how many of DL attractions are the same as the Magic KIngdom in WDW?

Yes its nice to once in a while see a brand new attraction that no other Disney park has got.But again its nice to visit DL and ride Spalsh Mountain just like you would if you were at WDW.

Darkbeer
12-29-2002, 01:02 AM
But 4 out of about 20 attractions is 20%, or one-fifth of what is offered at DCA, and as Malin said, "I think you would be missing half the fun". Since the WDW transplants are D and E ticket attractions, they end up being more than half of the BIG attractions (Soarin', Screamin:, and GRR are the original DCA big attractions). You have 4 current attractions that are transplants, and you are about to add two more, which will make the transplants being two-thirds of the major attractions.

I don't think anyone expected that the entire park would be totally new, but when the majority of the park is retreads, and with the exception of ToT, movies and shows, no wonder people are expressing a negative image of DCA.

ldsguy
12-29-2002, 11:43 AM
Ok, well, as for there being a lot of shows in DCA, I like that, I personally really enjoy the shows, I also enjoy the rides, but I really like shows, but I do agree that we need more original things, I really like Aladdin and that's definitely original here....oh, in the list of things from WDW, you forgot Grizzly River Run, it's the same track, just sifferent themeing apparently.

Techie7
12-29-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ldsguy
Ok, well, as for there being a lot of shows in DCA, I like that, I personally really enjoy the shows, I also enjoy the rides, but I really like shows, but I do agree that we need more original things, I really like Aladdin and that's definitely original here....oh, in the list of things from WDW, you forgot Grizzly River Run, it's the same track, just sifferent themeing apparently.

GRR is not the same track design as KRR

DisneyFan25863
12-29-2002, 12:29 PM
I heard somwhere that they were going to put boxes all around it and make it "out of the box" themed

GoofyDad
12-29-2002, 03:37 PM
We saw the Playhouse Disney show this past Spring while at WDW. It was one of my 4-year-old daughter's favorite things about our trip. All of the little kids in the audience were having a great time, and I spoke with other parents who welcomed a chance to sit and relax. I thought the show was very well done.

I grew up near Orlando, so I was weaned on "re-tread" attractions at WDW. As far as I'm concerned, if it is fun and entertaining, I don't care if its new or a re-tread. I understand that CMs may have a different opinion, if they are concerned about attendance and competition with WDW.

DisneyFan25863
12-29-2002, 03:50 PM
Welome to Mousepad, Goofy Dad!!! :D

ldsguy
12-29-2002, 10:07 PM
According to the latest information that I've heard (as of Dec. 20) , there is no specific date announced on the opening of Playhouse Disney - only a vague promise of Spring 2003
When I was there yesterday, the electric sign thing said April 2003....there may have been an exact date, but I can't remember for sure, but I do remember the month.