PDA

View Full Version : Bitter Herbs for Mickey Mouse - Local 11 announces a Holy Week protest

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
03-31-2009, 11:36 AM
From my MousePlanet Blog (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=387):

Local religious leaders and representatives from Unite HERE Local 11 will participate in what they call a "Holy Week protest" on Thursday, April 2 to call attention to the union's ongoing contract negotiations with the Disneyland Resort.

The clergy and union representatives will lead union members in a demonstration outside the Paradise Pier Hotel at 5:00 pm on Thursday, at which participants will present "bitter herbs" to costumed representations of Mickey and Minnie Mouse.

The procession will then travel to the Anaheim Convention Center, where the participants will present "milk and honey" to so-far unidentified "responsible employers."

The protest in the latest in a string of nearly 20 demonstrations staged by the union during a year-long contract dispute with the Disneyland Resort. In December, Disney presented the union with their "last, best and final" offer; a proposal rejected by union leadership in January without a vote of the membership.

Last week, the Disneyland Resort notified 39 workers at the Yamabuki Japanese restaurant that their location would close on April 11th. Unite HERE Local 11 represents most of these cast members, some of whom may lose their jobs if Disney can not relocate them to another position within the Resort.

AVP

Drince88
03-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Are they doing this on the 2nd or the 9th?

Niwel
03-31-2009, 11:43 AM
If it is the 9th, that's the second night of seder (Passover). Guess it doesn't matter if the Jewish Union members can make it, huh? :confused:

AVP
03-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Are they doing this on the 2nd or the 9th?April 2nd. Sorry!

Niwel
03-31-2009, 11:49 AM
April 2nd. Sorry!

Oy. I'd hate to be driving on Katella Thursday afternoon.

Drince88
03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
You'd think 'clergy' would know when Holy Week is...:rolleyes:

TowerofTerror
03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
thats good that they are doing a protest this coming thursday on April 2nd

Drince88
03-31-2009, 12:08 PM
thats good that they are doing a protest this coming thursday on April 2nd

Why is that good?

And AVP, you said "to call attention to the union's ongoing contract negotiations with the Disneyland Resort. " Are they actually negotiating now, or is it all the posture and PR stuff still?

AVP
03-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Are they actually negotiating now, or is it all the posture and PR stuff still?As far as I know they have not met this year. I'm trying to get an update from either Disney or the union representatives. The union did not respond to a request for comment last week about the closing of Yamabuki.

AVP

adriennek
03-31-2009, 01:04 PM
If it is the 9th, that's the second night of seder (Passover). Guess it doesn't matter if the Jewish Union members can make it, huh? :confused:

Well it's kind of funny because it would seem that if Passover starts on April 8 and the Christian Holy Week starts on April 5, then I'm not sure which clergy think April 2 is Holy Week? :confused:

The clergy sound a little confused. Kinda like the Union who seems to think they're going to get a bunch of sympathy for more of their ridiculous theatrics.

Adrienne

Drince88
03-31-2009, 01:19 PM
And I just checked (Google is my friend ;)) and Eastern Orthodox Easter is the 19th, so it's not that Holy Week either.

cstephens
03-31-2009, 03:00 PM
And if they meant Holly Week, they're in the wrong time of the year.

adriennek
03-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Maybe they could rename it "Holy Weekish protest"?

Adrienne

cstephens
03-31-2009, 04:52 PM
OK, well, it can't be Halle week because Halle Berry's birthday is in August.

I'm stumped.

adriennek
03-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Holly Holy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Holy) was released in October so it's not Neil Diamond probably won't be there.

Adrienne

SeansMom
03-31-2009, 06:29 PM
A bit OT: Given they still haven't settled, would you stay at a Disneyland hotel?

adriennek
03-31-2009, 06:43 PM
A bit OT: Given they still haven't settled, would you stay at a Disneyland hotel?

I notoriously hate the Disneyland hotel but - this is no reason to not stay there.

1- There's no strike going on.

2- The members of the union are not the ones protesting. The union LEADERSHIP is protesting. Local CLERGY are protesting. The members of the union? Well, let's see...

At the last protest, the union claimed that Disney representatives wouldn't talk to them. These would be the same Disney reps who were waiting where the union said the protest would be, waiting for the protesters to show up, so they could meet. And then the protesters suddenly refused to go where the reps were waiting, changed the course of their protest and gave the public this song and dance about how Disney REFUSED to meet with them. What? They're right over there where you said you were going to meet them??

The members haven't even been given the opportunity to VOTE on any of the offers Disney has made. The union leadership has let them expire without even informing the members of the offers.

Meanwhile, local unemployment is through the roof, Disney is laying of incredibly talented individuals who have been in charge of active projects - and this union leadership is PROTESTING that they're not offering them enough? They have thrown away some very generous offers from Disney on behalf of these members. I have no sympathy.

This union doesn't represent the workers. This union represents itself.

Adrienne

Drince88
03-31-2009, 06:51 PM

It wouldn't stop me (the room rates do that), even if there was a strike going on - but then I've never let strikes stop me from doing anything. (Though I wouldn't put myself in physical danger to cross a picket line.)

But you know what REALLY bothers me about this whole 'protest'? They're using religious-based symbols (bitter herbs, milk and honey, etc) for their grandstanding. Just like collecting toys for their own membership at Christmas, when they weren't even on strike, really really bothered me. (Most people collect toys for CHARITIES at Christmas time.)

adriennek
03-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Just like collecting toys for their own membership at Christmas, when they weren't even on strike, really really bothered me. (Most people collect toys for CHARITIES at Christmas time.)

Yeah, that was the protest where they marched AROUND the Disney reps and then claimed that the reps refused to see them.

Adrienne

K & S
03-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Where did they come up with clergy members who don't know when Holy Week begins?

:confused:

Niwel
03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Where did they come up with clergy members who don't know when Holy Week begins?

:confused:

Rent-a-Clergy?

adriennek
03-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Rent-a-Clergy?

Maybe they got their ministers license things on the internet?

Adrienne

ScottC4746
04-01-2009, 03:58 AM
April 2nd. Sorry!

Not sure who's Holy Week they are referring to then. In the Anglican tradition, and most Protistants follow suit, Holy Week begins this year on 5 April with Palm Sunday and continues through the Triduum (Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil on Saturday).

cstephens
04-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Still puzzled by the April 2 thing, so I did some poking around.

The London Summit starts on April 2 (http://www.londonsummit.gov.uk/en/) - is the Pope going or something?

Topman New York opens April 2 (http://thefashionisto.com/blog/2009/03/topman-new-york-opens-april-2-2009/) - maybe someone subscribes to the religion of shopping?

Bastyr University has a series called "The Good Life: Books for Better Living" that starts on April 2. (http://www.bastyr.edu/news/news.asp?NewsID=1684)

The Worldwide Adoration Project is on April 2. (http://hicatholicmom.blogspot.com/2009/03/worldwide-adoration-project-april-2.html)

But, I think I've found it. Apparently [sic], Pope John Paul II died on April 2, 2005 (http://abcnews.go.com/International/Pope/story?id=630321&page=1). Does the anniversary of his death somehow trigger a Holy Week for some people?

adriennek
04-01-2009, 01:01 PM
But, I think I've found it. Apparently [sic], Pope John Paul II died on April 2, 2005 (http://abcnews.go.com/International/Pope/story?id=630321&page=1). Does the anniversary of his death somehow trigger a Holy Week for some people?

I haven't gotten that memo. And not only am I Catholic, but I read a lot of Catholic news organizations and blogs. So there I go.

Adrienne