PDA

View Full Version : The Disneyland Locals: The forgotten culture that once ruled the OC

tHeDiSnEyKiD
03-31-2009, 11:24 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-6547-LA-Amusement-Parks-Examiner~y2009m3d28-The-Disneyland-Locals-The-forgotten-Annual-Passholder-culture-that-ruled-the-OC

This my first article posted on the site. I'm more of a theme park examiner, covering most of the so cal parks. I'm going to be offering up reviews, previews, commentary and just trying to keep a "real" view on the parks and how I see it.

My first article topic is near and dear to me and my love of Disneyland, CA. It's a bit of a controversial topic in some respects, but nevertheless, it's a part of my history at the park. As I say in my article, I DO NOT CONDONE what is seen in some parts of the videos on my page, so don't get all crazy. It was the times back then, and I was proud to be a part of it. Some of you have seen these videos before, so it's nothing new.

Check it out for me and let me all know what you think.

Andrew
03-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Good article! I remember this though I was not at all part of that scene- Cast Members called these kids "Tomorrowland Twinkies".

tHeDiSnEyKiD
03-31-2009, 12:49 PM
twinkies? Ha, that's a first. I've never heard that before

Jeffreaky
03-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Great story, I wish I could have experienced that scene. It looks a lot like how Grad night was but I see where it was so much more fun being there all the time with your friends. I have a friend who used to be a APH and he and his friends would just run around Disneyland like crazy, playing hide & go seek all over Tom Sawyer island. Sounds like a great time!

fairestoneofall
03-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks for that....talk about a flashback!?!?!?

tHeDiSnEyKiD
03-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah, it sums it all up in the first video on the page, about 3:11 minutes in, "Forever Young" plays over the rest of the video and if you were a part of the whole "Generation D", then you'll appreciate the song and the lyrics, making you never forget the era. Thanks everyone for commenting

fairestoneofall
03-31-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm thinking we might be starting a new generation of Disneyland afficionados....You see 'our' generation...the one obsessed with Disneyland in our teen years...Well, we're now parents and we're flocking to the happy place in droves with our young. At least I speak for myself when I say that I hope that my boys will share in my passion for 'The Happiest Place on Earth'....

newhdplayer
04-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah, it sums it all up in the first video on the page, about 3:11 minutes in, "Forever Young" plays over the rest of the video and if you were a part of the whole "Generation D", then you'll appreciate the song and the lyrics, making you never forget the era. Thanks everyone for commenting

I frequented the Park during those days myself, albeit a little bit older than the "Twinkies".

I also fondly remember the unrulyness, the spitting, the loitering, and the vandalism.

The good old days.

Tinkermommy
04-01-2009, 08:03 PM
I frequented the Park during those days myself, albeit a little bit older than the "Twinkies". I also fondly remember the unrulyness, the spitting, the loitering, and the vandalism. The good old days.

I've been muzzling myself since I viewed this thread thinking I was alone in my impressions. I read the article, was intrigued, then watched the videos. I'm afraid the Twinkies lost my "good times" vote when I saw the kid swinging from Walt's raised arm on the Partners statue, and using it as a pull up bar. I was appalled watching the boys get out of the boats to vandalize Small World.

If I remember correctly, it was mentioned that the Small World vandalism was a result of teens losing their APs simply for loitering. Watching the videos, I'm thinking there was a LOT more going on than loitering -- videotaping people (who I'm sure would be thrilled to find themselves today on Youtube); following and mocking guests and cast members (did the balloon vendor manage to hold onto the balloons when the guy smashed into him or her?), and my personal favorite -- zooming in on the personal parts of many females. Between those things, the girls licking each others faces and the guy with the exposed chest -- what the heck was he doing? -- I'd hazard a guess that it was only the Twinkies who were having fun.

Kudos to the writer -- I enjoyed reading about a part of Disneyland's history of which I was unaware. It probably was awesome to have Disneyland as a local hangout, and I'm sure not all of the Twinkies were as disrespectful and intrusive as those shown in the videos were. I'd love nothing more than for my teenager to be able to hang out there after school with her friends. But yikes -- if I ever found out she'd done half of what the Twinkies were shown doing at Disneyland, I'd be the one to yank her AP!

The old man
04-03-2009, 02:53 PM
" But what the videos do provide is a privileged glimpse into a forgotten culture."

Thanks for the privilege. Much of it made me want to vomit. Watching giggling Vandals destroy not just private property, but Disneyland. I can't help wonder how many pre-teens and families had these imbeciles ruin the magic of their day.

It certainly was a magic culture--the spoiled brats of "The OC."

jazzysmom
04-05-2009, 08:58 AM
I love listening to the "50th Anniversary - A muscial History of Disneyland" and the announcer talks about date night at Disneyland. Sounds like a forgotten time I would like to have been a part of!