PDA

View Full Version : 39 Disney employees told restaurant will close -- OC Register Blog

Pages : [1] 2

Andrew
03-27-2009, 08:55 AM
39 Disney employees told restaurant will close (http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2009/03/26/39-disney-employees-told-restaurant-will-close/6929/) -- OC Register Blog

Disney officials announced Thursday afternoon that Yamabuki restaurant, inside the Paradise Pier Hotel will close down April 11.
Some 39 hourly employees who work at the restaurant were informed of the pending closure during a closed-door meeting around 4 p.m. Thursday.
Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown said the company will work to relocate the employees to other park restaurants. Those who cannot be placed elsewhere will receive at least 60 days pay as severance and an extension of some health care benefits.

Drince88
03-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Any word on what will go in the space?

Andrew
03-27-2009, 09:06 AM
My guess is "nothing". They'll remove signs and close the doors and pretend it's not there, kind of like the former table-service place at POFQ.

houseofmouse
03-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Sad but a sign of the times for us all. :|
Too bad they cannot convert it into a more affordable place to eat.

K & S
03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Pofq?

Niwel
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm thinking day spa for those staying at PPH and DLH.

Drince88
03-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Pofq?

Port Orleans French Quarter -one of the moderate resorts in Walt Disney World.

stan4d_steph
03-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking day spa for those staying at PPH and DLH.Is the spa at GCH that busy that they really need to add another one just next door?

Niwel
03-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Probably not .... but I'm of the belief that one can never have too many Day Spas around. ;)

AZCardsGirl
03-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Although I've stayed at PP a number of times I've never eaten there. (Which may be indicative of why it's closing.) I'd vote for a more affordable, family-type place.

darph nader
03-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Although I've stayed at PP a number of times I've never eaten there. (Which may be indicative of why it's closing.) I'd vote for a more affordable, family-type place.

AH-HA,it's all your fault.:rolleyes:
(btw,we've never eaten there either. never even heard of it to tell you the truth)

Mark Mywords
03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
We've enjoyed Yamabuki on many occasions.

It's sad, but I can understand why it is closing. The restaurant was pricey, even by Sushi restaurant standards.

1nolbear
03-27-2009, 01:44 PM
So sad:crying: We love the Yamabuki! Very pricey but worth it. The kids love going there. Sad but like someone said, just a sign of the times.:(

Malcon10t
03-27-2009, 07:08 PM
We had always avoided Yamabuki thinking we wouldn't like Japanese style. Well, last trip our VIP guide highly recommended it and told us there was steak and chicken. We really liked the place. Surprised us. Too bad it will be closed by the time we return.

evrythngwmn
03-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Any word on what will go in the space?

Considering it's location in then building, I'd guess more meeting rooms.

jcruise86
03-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm with you, AZCardsGirl. We went in, saw the prices and went out. Yet despite being in there for a minute or two, I remember that the employees seemed really nice, so I hope they all land on their feet. I once worked for a company that went out of business; it hurts. And I hope the space doesn't stay empty for long--that's always pathetic.

The posts have convinced me we made a mistake by not trying Yamabuki. I've never regretted splurging on a meal that turned out to be delicious, impressive, and served by pros. Still, in recognition of another possible year of tight money, I vote for a moderately priced Thai restaurant, a Tokyo Waco, a Mimi's (the good one on Harbor is probably about 3/4ths of a mile and a security checkpoint away), an In-N-Out, a Fuddruckers, California's first White Castle (?), a Wahoo's Fish Tacos, a Souplantation (if there's room), or something that reflects the PP's status as the Disneyland Resort's most affordable hotel and that is fun for kids.

I wish Vegas and Disneyland/Disney World could swap some restaurants. (Lotus of Siam, Rosemary's. . .too many to list.)

foolishmortal
03-28-2009, 08:17 PM
The PPH is really losing out. We just got back from there. Moderate price and good family food would be nice. The PPH is our fav. place to stay, but it was surprisingly empty on Thurs/Friday. only a few of us on the 12th floor. Not a good sign.
We love the Cm's there they really are the best!! I hope they find good homes for all of them.

screamin4ever
03-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Back in the 80's when this hotel was built by the Japanese and their economy was screaming, we had a huge amount of Japanese tourists here and they were and are willing to pay big money for anything. This closure is more about the declining Japanese tourist market than anything. And the fact that Sushi, at least expensive Sushi, does not sell to Americans who stay at the PPH.

carolinakid
03-29-2009, 08:03 AM
My boyfriend and I ate there 3 years ago and LOVED it! It will definitely be missed by us.

Jon

AVP
03-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Back in the 80's when this hotel was built by the Japanese and their economy was screaming, we had a huge amount of Japanese tourists here and they were and are willing to pay big money for anything. This closure is more about the declining Japanese tourist market than anything. And the fact that Sushi, at least expensive Sushi, does not sell to Americans who stay at the PPH.You've nailed it. The PPH was built as the Pan Pacific Hotel, and catered to Japanese tourists. Yamabuki fit perfectly into that branding. Since the Grand Californian was built, Japanese tourists are staying there, and the PPH is positioned as the "value" property among the three Disneyland Resort Hotels.

Storytellers Cafe at the Grand Californian has a traditional Japanese breakfast on their menu. PCH Grill offers huevos rancheros. The PPH is definitely catering to a different customer these days.

AVP

olegc
03-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Storytellers Cafe at the Grand Californian has a traditional Japanese breakfast on their menu. PCH Grill offers huevos rancheros. The PPH is definitely catering to a different customer these days.
AVP

interesting. Well, then maybe Yamabuki should move to either Downtown Disney (where I hear there are open storefronts ;) ) or they should have thought of placing something like it as part of the DVC expansion. If you have such a captive audience like high-rolling Japanese tourists you should cater to them, and if Yamabuki was that popular, it still can be. I know folks love White Water snacks (and the hotel needs a grab and go) but something should have been planned with the new construction of DVC units.

PhiSigDuchessCV
03-29-2009, 04:48 PM
The only time I've eaten at Yambuki was for the Candlelight Dinner package. I enjoyed the food but thought it was a bit pricey.

Now the question (or problem) is what other restaurant are they going to use for the Candlelight Dinner packages? Or does this mean even more problems this November in trying to get tickets for it.

K & S
03-29-2009, 05:18 PM
The only time I've eaten at Yambuki was for the Candlelight Dinner package. I enjoyed the food but thought it was a bit pricey.

Now the question (or problem) is what other restaurant are they going to use for the Candlelight Dinner packages? Or does this mean even more problems this November in trying to get tickets for it.

I was also wondering how this will affect the Candlelight Dinner. We've switched to high-speed internet this year, so maybe I'll actually get through to make reservations.

tonytone
03-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Wasn't Yamabuki remodeled about a year ago? All that work, and now it's gonna close...

stan4d_steph
03-30-2009, 07:46 AM
It would be nice if they would add back some sort of Asian food in the resort though. Right now there's really nothing unless you venture off site.