PDA

View Full Version : Storytellers Cafe - breakfast - December 14, 2002

cstephens
12-26-2002, 03:47 PM
We had arrived very early at the resort that morning for a merchandise release and were happily surprised that we were finished by 8:30, so we decided to go to the Storytellers Cafe breakfast. We had been there once previously in late 2001, but two out-of-town friends, who had also come for the merchandise release, had not been before.

Storytellers Cafe offers breakfast from 6:30am to 11:30am, and while it is designated as a character breakfast hosted by Chip and Dale, it is a bit different than normal character breakfasts. There are usually only a few characters (in addition to Chip and Dale, we saw Pluto on this visit), and they don’t go around the restaurant visiting tables, but rather, they tend to remain in the lobby area of the restaurant. If you’re looking for lots of character interaction, this is probably not your best choice, but if you want to enjoy a breakfast buffet without having to deal with characters or you just want to only have character interaction when you specifically seek it out, this is the place for you. One of the other benefits of the Storytellers Cafe breakfast is that it’s the only place in the resort (I believe) where you have a choice of a buffet or ordering off the regular menu. There may be occasions when not everyone in your group wants to partake in a buffet, but in other locations, it’s pretty much an all or nothing deal as only the buffet is offered. In this case, a breakfast buffet is only one of the items offered on the menu, so if there is anyone in your party who would prefer to order a regular breakfast entree, that’s available as well.

This morning, all four of us decided to go with the buffet, which costs $18.95, so our server instructed us to simply help ourselves. The menu for the breakfast buffet is quite extensive and very good and includes beverages. The items offered as part of the buffet are: omelet bar, fruit (watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, pineapple, mango, grapes and strawberries), yogurt, smoked salmon, biscuits and gravy, bagels, scrambled eggs, french toast, oven-toasted potatoes, grilled asparagus, two kinds of sausage, bacon, eggs benedict, an assortment of muffins, danishes, croissants (including chocolate), cinnamon rolls and breads (including walnut). Each of us tried different items and found all of them to be quite good. I was particularly pleased that at the omelet bar, I was able to get eggs over easy, which not all omelet bars offer. The chef who made my eggs ended up breaking one of the yolks and offered to make me a new one, but I said it wasn’t a problem and accepted them, but I thought it was very nice for her to have offered.

My only complaint about the breakfast bar is that while all of the entrees were very clearly labeled (even the scrambled eggs), none of the breads and muffins and danishes were labeled, so you couldn’t really tell what each one was without looking very carefully or simply tasting them. I didn’t want to take something only to be dissatisfied with it if it turned out to be a flavor I disliked, so I didn’t partake in the breads.

The waiter was very diligent in returning to take away our used plates and refilling our drinks, so we had a very pleasant breakfast.

After we finished our meal, we visited with the characters for a while in the lobby area. There are also little baskets with buttons in them, so we each took one. The buttons have Chip and Dale on them, and they’re even dated with 2002. We had been impressed the previous year to discover that the buttons were dated 2001 (usually, the buttons we get with character meals aren’t dated) and had wondered whether they were going to continue dating them or if that had only been for its first year.

Since we hadn’t planned on having breakfast there that morning, our walk-up wait time at 9:20am was about 20 minutes, but I would definitely recommend making a reservation if you’re planning to go, and I would definitely recommend the breakfast at Storytellers Cafe.

Laffite
12-26-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
The items offered as part of the buffet are: omelet bar, fruit (watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, pineapple, mango, grapes and strawberries), yogurt, smoked salmon, biscuits and gravy, bagels, scrambled eggs, french toast, oven-toasted potatoes, grilled asparagus, two kinds of sausage, bacon, eggs benedict, an assortment of muffins, danishes, croissants (including chocolate), cinnamon rolls and breads (including walnut).

*Homer's drool on*

Auugggg....

Sounds groin grabbingly good! :) Thanks for sharing!

Twinsmom
12-27-2002, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately, we were there on the 26th at 7:00. I was very disappointed. I wish we had taken the kids to Goofy's. It was too down-key for us and we had no idea from the postings this was how Story tellers worked. Chip never showed while we were there so we only had Dale and Pluto.

The food was good but not worth $78.00 for a family of 5. I wish had known more info. The service was excellent; however, unlike our lunch on Monday there which was slower than slow!

Great post Cstephens!

julia
12-27-2002, 05:44 PM
Hi!

Thanks for the great report on the character dining at the Storytellers Cafe! Did you get the Mickey waffles with the powdered sugar on top? I LOVE Mickey waffles and I can't start my days on Disney cruise or Disneyland or Disney World without Mickey waffles....

I went last in late August and really enjoyed my breakfast - I am like to take a break from the crowds and hustle of Disneyland and I really like to eat at the Storytellers Cafe. I thought it really reflected the casual elegance of the Grand Californian Hotel as a whole. When I talk to my fellow Disney enthusiasts, I always try to ask if they like to eat with lots of action, for which Goofy's Kitchen is perfect. But, if they are like me, and like peace and quiet, then, the Storytellers Cafe is ideal. If they want something in the middle, then, Miss Minnie and Friends at Disney's Paradise Pier is good.

Happy New Year!
:) Julia