PDA

View Full Version : Celebrate cavalcade/show this Friday?

Pages : [1] 2 3

olegc
03-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Initially reports were that the new Celebrate parade, "street festival," or whatever euphemistic name you can come up with, is supposed to debut this Friday March 27th. For those in the know - is it still on schedule for that date?

AVP
03-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Initially reports were that the new Celebrate parade, "street festival," or whatever euphemistic name you can come up with, is supposed to debut this Friday March 27th. For those in the know - is it still on schedule for that date?According to info I just got, the show will debut Friday at 3:30 and 6:30, and will run at those times daily through April 19th.

After that, it's scheduled once daily (7:00) Monday - Thursday, and twice daily (3:30 and 6:30) Friday - Sunday, through at least the end of May.

AVP

olegc
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
According to info I just got, the show will debut Friday at 3:30 and 6:30, and will run at those times daily through April 19th.

After that, it's scheduled once daily (7:00) Monday - Thursday, and twice daily (3:30 and 6:30) Friday - Sunday, through at least the end of May.

AVP

did they finalize the route? I remember initially it was Main Street only - then a little further, then there was talk of the entire parade route. Did they finalize the route?

I'll be sure to bring a cup and catch some souvenir confetti. Doing my part to be green, you know.. :rolleyes:

AVP
03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Did they finalize the route?I haven't heard a final route yet.

ETA: Looks like Brady MacDonald at the LA Times got a pre-dawn preview this morning:

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/disneyland-parade-ce-4293/

AVP

AnotherJenny
03-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Wow, Clarabelle. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Horace.

Darkbeer
03-25-2009, 07:51 AM
dDd they finalize the route? I remember initially it was Main Street only - then a little further, then there was talk of the entire parade route. Did they finalize the route?

Yes, they did, at first, the "Celebrate" was going to be an addition to the Remember Parade, but due to budget issues, it was decided to ONLY have "Celebrate - A Street Parade", which will use the entire Parade Route. For example, starting Friday during Spring Break, it will start at "small world" at 3:30 and end at the Opera House, and then at 6:30, go back from Town Square to "small world". It will have three stops, similar to the Parade of Dreams, but they will be a bit longer, and since the entire "Street Party" is shorter in length than POD, you will need to position yourself in the formally "middle" section.

Alas, everything I have heard, it is Block Party Bash version 2, and I think you should read the Brady MacDonald LA Times article for a lot more info....

Some folks might like it (And heck, I might like it when I see it on Friday), but so far, I am very worried....

olegc
03-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Alas, everything I have heard, it is Block Party Bash version 2, and I think you should read the Brady MacDonald LA Times article for a lot more info....

Some folks might like it (And heck, I might like it when I see it on Friday), but so far, I am very worried....

I read his article before your post - and I am not worried as much as I am, well, "this is what I expected"... less is more these days and since they have you in the park - what will you do? Characters are involved, lots of motion, etc. and for the majority of guests who are out of towners they will stop and watch it. The Pixar Play (and BBB before it) always had crowds during usual tourist seasons (on March 8th I could not get past the crowd in Sunshine plaza to go to Soarin and Grr).

Interesting in his article that he mentioned you won't see much between the show stops - and if you hang in town square you will miss the show - which tells me they plan to do the show along Main Street's middle.

For me - it's another **sigh** sign of Celebrate promotions - giving you more - or at least making you think you got more..

MammaSilva
03-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Based on what I've read, I have this deja vu of Light Magic issues...DCA is designed with the corridor to allow the stops to work, Disneyland isn't as we have seen in previous attempt of 'stop shows'

cstephens
03-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Based on what I've read, I have this deja vu of Light Magic issues...DCA is designed with the corridor to allow the stops to work, Disneyland isn't as we have seen in previous attempt of 'stop shows'

But if it works like the 50th parade, I don't see a problem, because I think those show stops worked pretty well.

Light Magic had ALL KINDS of other issues. :)

fairestoneofall
03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Today I read in Main St. magazine that the new parade would debut on April 2nd???

Autopia Guy
03-26-2009, 03:06 PM
But if it works like the 50th parade, I don't see a problem, because I think those show stops worked pretty well.

Thats comparing at most a 5 min show stop to what is going to be about a 15 min show stop.

I have a bad feeling it is going to be a little rough come tomorrow, but saturday and sunday shouldn't be so bad.

torquedork
03-27-2009, 07:43 AM
I have a bad feeling it is going to be a little rough come tomorrow, but saturday and sunday shouldn't be so bad.

I won't be suprise
The first few shows during the first week usually tends to be hitting a bunch of potholes along the way because everyone's most likely still being extemely nervous especially screwing up while on the parade route even after the very first showing of the new parade.

Tinker Bell
03-27-2009, 07:50 AM
The today says

Celebration zones

Small world promenade - approx. 3 30 , 7 00 pm
Central plaza. Approx. 3 45 , 6 45 pm
Main street. Approx. 4 00 6 30pm

Autopia Guy
03-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I won't be suprise
The first few shows during the first week usually tends to be hitting a bunch of potholes along the way because everyone's most likely still being extemely nervous especially screwing up while on the parade route even after the very first showing of the new parade.

I'm sorry, didn't mean from that perspective. But you are also right. I remember seeing the first showing of PPP in DCA and how everyone looked so nervous. I don't think that this one will be so bad in that sense though. More of a party atmosphere than a straight performance.

I was looking at it from the perspective of guest control. It is a big change from how POD was run, so its going to be a big learning experience today for all the CMs.

houseofmouse
03-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I heard they have been running rehearsals all week after hours. The guy from the LA times said that too. So I am sure they have it pretty down by now but may be nervous because of all the people. Hopefully they know what they are doing, with all the rehearsal.

torquedork
03-27-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm sorry, didn't mean from that perspective. But you are also right. I remember seeing the first showing of PPP in DCA and how everyone looked so nervous. I don't think that this one will be so bad in that sense though. More of a party atmosphere than a straight performance.

I was looking at it from the perspective of guest control. It is a big change from how POD was run, so its going to be a big learning experience today for all the CMs.

But still everyone would be running into potholes along the way over the next week or so just to get eveyone back in the groove again.

torquedork
03-27-2009, 12:33 PM
I heard they have been running rehearsals all week after hours. The guy from the LA times said that too. So I am sure they have it pretty down by now but may be nervous because of all the people. Hopefully they know what they are doing, with all the rehearsal.

Rehearsals is one thing when none of the guests are around, but once you get people along the parade route becomes a completely different story because most to all of the performers would be thinking "I hope that I don't make a fool of myself in front of all these people" especially on the very first showing.

AVP
03-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Photos from today's debut:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=383

AVP

olegc
03-27-2009, 07:56 PM
s0 I was in the hub for the 3:30 show. I have a review but don't want to spoil it for others.
6 small in footprint yet tall floats - 3 of them with Disney characters on them (mickey, minnie, goofy) although they had that described retro feel to the design, then 3 wider floats with an upper and lower platform that carried characters and dancers. as described in the LA Times piece - very colorful costumes, stilt dancers and electronic carts to move characters up and down the length of the showstop. They go through an intro song (a miley cirus rework) and then go through several genres of music. It seemed long as it got to the salsa and next to finale piece. lots of confetti and streamers at the end. WHAT A MESS. and I do't think I would ever see Mickey in a hoodie and cargo pants (although the hoodie had a silver sparkle liner)

The good: high energy, good music, lots of activity and a few characters not seen before in parades/shows
The bad: it goes a little long, it ends in a big mess, and the crowds in the show stop area are out of control - and this was a March day. can you imaging the summer? during a fireworks show, everyone exits together. During this - you have folks trying to move in a direction where they are doing another show stop - and it's just way too crowded. Folks climbing on benches and fences (even little kids) to get a better look. As stated earlier - not enough room in the route to really accomodate the crowd that wants to see and the dancers/characters at street level.

It will be interesting to see if they make adjustments throughout the year.
and yes, less is more here..

MammaSilva
03-27-2009, 09:05 PM
The more I read/hear the more I have flashbacks to being nearly trampled during Light Magic! We had a large group that we were trying to get thru the plaza inn area over to Tomorrowland, not even attempting to see the show at that point when the crowds just overwhelmed us ...pushing/shoving, one actually climbed ON one of our group using a wheelchair to get a better view...to this day I swear God sent Angels to us in the form of a High School football team there on a trip, those boys saw a need, created a 'v' of muscle and got us out of dodge and into a safe zone over in the tomorrow land area where the orbiters/buzz are today. From that night on we made SURE to either be in the park well before the show started or to just wait til it was completely over and the crowds had dissipated before attempting to travel Main Street.

olegc
03-27-2009, 09:09 PM
^ I never saw Light Magic in person - but by the end of the show today many folks stopped saying "excuse me" or "sorry" when they bumped you hard to get by...

Burnt Toast
03-27-2009, 09:41 PM

The Lion King Celebration (the best parade/street show Disney has ever done, in my opinion) also had show stops and they were done very well.

olegc
03-27-2009, 10:10 PM
The Lion King Celebration (the best parade/street show Disney has ever done, in my opinion) also had show stops and they were done very well.

I have a video (produced by Disney) of that parade/show and I seem to recall that it was quite a long parade and when they did stop you had your portion - similar to the 50th parade. now the show is fairly compact - just beyond penny arcade to camera store (as a measure of the space they use). pretty compact area if you ask me.

DizneyMommy
03-28-2009, 07:08 AM
IMHO, it looks too generic to me, not enough of the special Disney feeling or uniqueness that the parades usually carry. Like if you removed the characters you could stick it in any theme park anywhere. It reminds me of something I saw at Knotts once with all the glitter and sequins and confetti.

torquedork
03-28-2009, 07:33 AM
I don't think that I would be running out to go watch the parade from the photos that were taken on the first showing of the parade.