PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Times blog - "Disneyland passholders: Watch out for birthday blackout dates"

Pages : [1] 2

cstephens
03-18-2009, 11:17 AM
A friend alerted me to a blog post on the L.A. Times website called "Disneyland passholders: Watch out for birthday blackout dates" (http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/disneyland-birthday--4266/). The link pops up the blog post now, but I'm not sure if sometime in the future, it will require that you register first.

The article is so stupid that I don't even know where to begin. "You better look out for those blackout dates!" Ummm, yeah, if you have any level of AP other than premium, you probably pay fairly careful attention to when your blackout dates are. The entire article is written from the implication that only one level of AP is offered. Some people may not know that there are different levels of AP that allow different kinds of access.

Obviously, for the average Disneyland annual passholder who visits the park on regular basis, the free-on-your-birthday deal isn’t much of perk.

So "average" is supposed to equate to "premium annual passholder"? Because not all AP holders can visit year-round. And for those who don't have access every day of the year, access on your birthday if you can't get in otherwise is just as good as for anyone else who doesn't have an AP.

So the Anaheim theme park offers a free $69 gift card (the standard price of admission) to their most loyal customers

That would be true - but only if you equate "most loyal customers" to "premium annual passholders".

"So, just because my birthday falls on a blackout day, I don’t get the gift card?" said Nancy, on the verge of tears. "That’s unfair."

So is this for dramatic effect? Because I have to say that I'd be very surprised if a woman could be reduced to the verge of tears because she isn't getting a gift card BECAUSE SHE ISN'T ELIGIBLE. "Unfair". Really? What does fair or unfair have to do with it? She and her writer husband didn't bother to read all the terms and conditions of the offer. They obviously must have seen more than just the "free on your birthday" commercials, but those commercials say nothing about what happens if you already have admission on that day. So someone must have either been told something by someone else, or someone did a cursory look at Disneyland's website, but they decided to only pay attention to the "I get free money on my birthday!" aspect rather than actually paying attention to the terms of the promotion itself.

The offer is getting into Disneyland free for your birthday. As a non-premium AP holder, she did not already have admission into the park on her birthday. So, that's what was being offered to her - admission on her birthday, same as anyone else. For a premium annual passholder (or other qualifying admission media holder), yeah, free admission on your birthday is literally worthless because it's not giving you anything you don't already have - which is why they have the alternate gifts, one of which is the gift card.

So if someone says "So, just because my birthday falls on a day when I don't have admission into the park, I don’t get the gift card? That’s unfair", would that fly too? Should Disney then fork over $69 in that case as well? Because that statement applies exactly to the situation of the writer's wife. If random person shows up at the resort with no admission media, should they be allowed to demand a $69 gift card just because it's their birthday? That person wouldn't be doing anything different than what was depicted in the blog post.

Or maybe you have to prove that you're a loyal Disney customer. OK, how about someone who has the full WDW AP - that should be enough credential to be deemed a loyal customer, right? If they show up at Disneyland and demand $69 for their birthday, should they get it? No. Because they don't qualify under the terms of the promotion.

with Nancy’s birthday on the verge of being ruined

I put the blame for that solely on the writer and/or the wife, whoever it was that didn't bother to actually learn the rules of the promotion.

Disneyland officials, contacted for a response, offered apologies but stuck by the company policy: “Our policy for Annual Passholders regarding Free On Your Birthday and blackout dates is clearly stated in Annual Passholder publications and on our website. It is unfortunate that the guest was not aware of the policy and we apologize that she was disappointed.”

And yes, the rules are fully on the site. The writer publishes this response, but then takes ZERO responsibility for the fact that neither he nor his wife knew the actual terms of the promotion. He could have ended with, "Well, our day didn't go as we had planned, so I thought I'd warn other people to make sure to pay attention to their blackout days. If we'd done the same, we wouldn't have encountered the problem we did."

And THEN, the writer has the *nerve* to link to the birthday thread on this very site, saying this similiar situation has happened to a lot of other people. OK, I've been reading that thread from the beginning, and maybe I'm just forgetting, but I don't recall ANYONE saying they went on their birthday, which was a blackout day, and they didn't get a gift card and had their day totally ruined. Furthermore, if the writer knew enough to link to the thread, he could have known enough to actually READ the thread, where we've been talking FOR MONTHS about blackout days and how you can get what gift for your birthday under what circumstances.

Oh, and look, at the end of the article, he does say blackout days vary depending on the kind of AP you have. Duh.

However, I will say that I'm laughing hysterically at the comments posted in response to that blog. Most people seem to be saying the same thing I'm saying here - it's your own fault for not paying attention.

houseofmouse
03-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Ridiculous article! I am betting the woman does not even exist and was created for the sake of the article.:eek:

Darkbeer
03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
OK, first off, let's look at the rules from the Disney Rules page for Disneyland.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/disneyparks/en_US/WhatWillYouCelebrate/disneyland/index?name=CelebrationsDLRFreeOnYourBirthdayPage

If you have purchased a valid Annual Passport or a Multi-Day ticket that you will use on your birthday,
follow the steps above to sign up, then bring your confirmation message and proper valid ID (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/disneyparks/en_US/WhatWillYouCelebrate/disneyland/index?name=CelebrationsDLRFreeOnYourBirthdayPage#C elebDLRFAQs7Text) to the Disneyland® Resort Main Entrance ticket booths and you can choose from one of our other exciting birthday gifts (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/disneyparks/en_US/WhatWillYouCelebrate/disneyland/index?name=CelebrationsDLRFreeOnYourBirthdayPage#C elebDLRFAQs11Text).

What is your description of a "Valid" AP? To me that means one that is not yet expired, regardless of what type of AP it is.

Yes, at the very bottom of the page, it does talk about Blockout Days, but how many folks actually read all the Q&A's when looking for.

Also, there is no comment in this thread regardling the "lack" of customer relations from Disney employees.

And yes, Nancy is Brady's wife, they have kids, and she writes for the Orange County Register, using her maiden name.

MammaSilva
03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Darkbeer, you are almost always perfect in the things you share or point out but the flaw in this one is that first line...let's say the birthday promotion wasn't happening at all, and I'm a deluxe passholder...this is key to the story...you quoted Disney as saying ..the bold is mine

If you have purchased a valid Annual Passport or a Multi-Day ticket that you will use on your birthday,
follow the steps above to sign up

Right now I am a deluxe passholder and when I purchased the pass I was handed a slip of paper with all my black out dates listed, both my birthday and my daughters are blacked out so I know I can't plan to visit on our birthdays, I can't use my pass without purchasing a black out ticket.

If you can't use it on your birthday it's not a valid pass that day....

Andrew
03-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Yes, at the very bottom of the page, it does talk about Blockout Days, but how many folks actually read all the Q&A's when looking for. Ah, so failing to read the terms of a contract is grounds for an exception?

I guess that explains the mortgage bailout, actually.

Also, there is no comment in this thread regardling the "lack" of customer relations from Disney employees. Who is stopping you from commenting? Though your usual pattern is to say something outrageous and then abandon the thread.

Here's a comment: I don't buy it. Sure, if you're looking for trouble you can expect to find it, but someone with a genuine problem will almost always find Disney cast members the friendliest, most understanding people around. Of course there are exceptions- I simply don't believe this is one of them.

houseofmouse
03-18-2009, 12:49 PM
I was kidding about the person being made up. :~D
Can you buy a blackout ticket and then get the giftcard? Thus really only coming out 29.00 a head if you are an adult.
Come on are people really that stupid and petty to throw a fit about this? If you cannot go on your birthday due to a pass being blacked out, your birthday gift from Disney is a valid one day admission for free. That is all they are obligated to give in the first place.
So take your free ticket, have a great day and don't complain about it. You are still being given something for free. :)

HobbitFeet
03-18-2009, 01:08 PM
I was kidding about the person being made up. :~D
Can you buy a blackout ticket and then get the giftcard? Thus really only coming out 29.00 a head if you are an adult.

Back in January we had two MP Cast Members saying that blockout tickets could be bought and the alternative gift could be received. Maybe it's changed, but no one has updated the birthday thread if so.

K & S
03-18-2009, 01:20 PM
It’s somewhat ironic that if your AP is valid on your birthday, you don’t have to enter the park to get the gift card. My son got his at the Guest Relations window.

adriennek
03-18-2009, 01:27 PM
What cstephens said.

If this had happened to an "average" passholder who did not have access to the proper information (and had not proved said access by linking to an online resource that not only had the proper information but it was on the page aforementioned writer linked to,) AND if the hyperbole about being on the verge of TEARS had been omitted, I MIGHT have felt a teensy-weensy bit of sympathy.

Maybe.

Adrienne

cstephens
03-18-2009, 01:32 PM
What is your description of a "Valid" AP? To me that means one that is not yet expired, regardless of what type of AP it is.

It doesn't matter what my description, your description, or Hugh Jackman's description of "valid" AP means. It matters what Disney means by that. If I saw that, even though I have a premium AP, I'd check to make sure I knew what they mean by "valid".

Yes, at the very bottom of the page, it does talk about Blockout Days, but how many folks actually read all the Q&A's when looking for.

So if I'm stupid and can't be bothered to actually READ THE RULES, it's Disney's fault if I screw up my own day? Gee, I didn't read the instructions, so I didn't know I wasn't supposed to lop off my arm with this power saw. It's Black & Decker's fault!

And yes, Nancy is Brady's wife, they have kids, and she writes for the Orange County Register, using her maiden name.

If I actually did behave like a three-year-old and was going to cry because someone didn't give me money I wasn't entitled to, I'd be really mad if my husband blogged about it for all the world to see. I'd be embarrassed enough as it was.

Back in January we had two MP Cast Members saying that blockout tickets could be bought and the alternative gift could be received. Maybe it's changed, but no one has updated the birthday thread if so.

That's actually what the blogger's wife did - purchase the blockout ticket, got the gift card and then sulked about the $29 net amount.

HobbitFeet
03-18-2009, 01:50 PM
That's actually what the blogger's wife did - purchase the blockout ticket, got the gift card and then sulked about the $29 net amount.

whoops. You can always tell who didn't read the article and relied on the poster's description, can't ya? :geek::cool:

Darkbeer
03-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Did you read the comments in LA Times link?

The first person relates a troy where the guests with an AP prior to park closing (about 5 minutes before, but before closing) and was not treated well...

After almost 3 hours of driving through traffic, we arrived with 5 minutes left before closing. We ran to the ticket booths that were still open so that we could just ask if there was someone we could talk to about the birthday promotion. We weren’t expecting to be able to get the gift card by any means, we simply wanted to ask somebody if there was anything we could do since we did technically make it there on my birthday.

To our surprise, none of the four cast members (or the additional two who were watching) that we ended up speaking with seemed to care or want to offer any help. We explained to them our situation and asked if there was someone we could be directed to for questions about the promotion. They were all unbelievably rude and there was not a single “sorry” or “happy birthday,” we were simply told to leave each time.

Heck, they were there, during regular park operating hours, and where not even given the courtesy of an explanation, just asked to leave the booth.

There is nothing at the "official" rules page that mentions hours they will issue the ticket or alternative gift, just that you have to do it on the exact day of their birth.

Of course, Guest Services is closed that time of night, and all issues are handled at the Man Ticket Booth open (The North-West one).

Once again, another example of not the best Guest Relations.

Darkbeer
03-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Brady just responded to a bunch of the comments at the LA Times link, here is one of his comments...

True. I should have known better. But I suspect a lot of other people may be in for the same surprise. That was the point of the story: to spread the news to those who might not have read the fine print.

Darkbeer
03-18-2009, 02:29 PM
And here is another complaint of the Promotion...

http://disneylandisevil.blogspot.com/2009/01/disney-lies-and-steals-from-4-year-olds.html

Also, note that there is no posted "official" rules or mention of the free Birthday Ticket at the Main Entrance Plaza, you have to know about it before you show up and specifically ask for it, as mentioned in the link above, the Father was not told about the promo when he entered.

I think Disney has done quite a bit in promotion of the offer in general, but it is not the easiest to find the "fine print" for the average person, especially for one that does not have internet access.

Disney CAN do better!

stan4d_steph
03-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I think Disney should send a postcard to every household in America with the rules printed on it in multiple languages. That would do the trick. Except for the people who can't read.

cstephens
03-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Did you read the comments in LA Times link?

You mean all the ones telling the blog writer what an idiot he is? Yeah, I like those - those were funny.

And here is another complaint of the Promotion...

http://disneylandisevil.blogspot.com/2009/01/disney-lies-and-steals-from-4-year-olds.html

I am *shocked*, SHOCKED, I tell you, that someone posting under a blog named DISNEYLANDISEVIL would have *any* complaint at all about Disney.

Yeah, just goes to show that for some people, if you give them a slice of cake, they'll complain that you didn't put chocolate sprinkles on it or that the slice wasn't big enough or that you didn't offer them a brownie or prime rib instead.

Crazy4DL
03-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah, just goes to show that for some people, if you give them a slice of cake, they'll complain that you didn't put chocolate sprinkles on it or that the slice wasn't big enough or that you didn't offer them a brownie or prime rib instead.

That is what I was about to say - in so many words.

DisneyDustin22
03-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Heck, they were there, during regular park operating hours, and where not even given the courtesy of an explanation, just asked to leave the booth.

Once again, another example of not the best Guest Relations.

This comment is one-sided though. How do we know the guests werent acting demanding and like a bunch of 'you know whats'?

For all we know, this maybe didn't even happen. So I dont think it's fair to call it a poor example of Guest Relations. There are two sides to every story. And 5 minutes to close, this may have been by the guest's watch. The booths are open past park close. They guests could have easily mistaken people coming out the park gates and seeing the booths open as they are still open for the day.

And I don't really buy the whole "I dont have internet access" excuse anymore. It's not like this is 1992 and Disney issued the fine print on CD.

It's easier to find a place to use the internet now than ever. Don't have a computer, go to the library. Or just call a friend. I'll eat my words if there is someone out there that knows absolultely nobody or no place to go that doesnt have internet access.

cstephens
03-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Since we're looking at comments to the blog post, how about this one:

And if you are the theme park reporter and you don’t understand the “free on your birthday” promotion, you are not doing your job.

Oh, and here's a comment from the blog writer himself:

I like the $69 consolation prize better than getting into the park for free. IMO, Disneyland is being surprisingly generous, whether they let me into the park for free, give me $29 gift card or a $69 gift card. Yet, I still feel Nancy was gypped. And I am acting childish and entitled. I’m not proud of it. But it’s true.

It's not a "pick and choose which one you want out of everything we're offering" promotion. If you're eligible for the free admission, you get that. If you don't need that, you can have something else. Heck, the way he says it, any random person should be able to just go to the park on their birthday and demand $69 since that would be much better than just being able to get in for free.

But I like his admission that he's acting childish and entitled. I'm thinking he wasn't expecting the backlash he's gotten.

olegc
03-18-2009, 03:00 PM
i THINK, not sure, that this topic was actually mentioned - and ample warning provided, by MP padders near the first of the year. I don't have time to go scanning the posts (leaving the house for a while) but I seem to recall folks asknig this exact question - if my bday falls on a blackout date do i not get a gift card? and the answer then was no. and it's still no.

And, to me, using one, or even a few, instances of disgruntled guests complaining about Disney customer service does not necessarily mean that ALL Disney customer service is this way.

Oh yeah - if it's something that does not please you - as always - you can choose not to partake. Going to DIsneyland is not a right - it;s a business, and all businesses have rude employees and great ones.

I myself have seen too many "tearful" guests at the turnstiles and ticket booths with their sob stories - only to get their way and actually CHEER as they leave the ticket booth.

As said above - this is probably how we got into the crisis - or AIG is now giving training on how to take advantage for your own benefit.

ONe more thing - is it me or is journalistic balance going out the window just because we're using Web 2.0 technologies (myspace, facebook, twitter, etc.) listen - of you are a journalist, or at least work for a paper like the LA Times (even if it is on the edge of shutting down) there is an expectation of balanced reporting. If not - go to blogspot or somewhere else and report away. It's wide open.

anniedg
03-18-2009, 03:10 PM

That is what I was about to say - in so many words.

Me too.

Face it, there's no way to make a promotion like this fair to everybody. I mean, if your bday happens to be on Christmas Day it's not going to work out as well for you as your birthday being on a weekend in March. If you live in the LA area you're much, much more likely to be able to participate than if you live where I do, 1,000 miles away. I may get slammed for this, but I don't even think it was really necessary for them to give alternatives to ap holders. They're a company, it's a promotion, they get to make the rules and can do whatever they think maximizes the benefit to them.

houseofmouse
03-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Amen. Well said Annie. :)

cstephens
03-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Also, note that there is no posted "official" rules or mention of the free Birthday Ticket at the Main Entrance Plaza, you have to know about it before you show up and specifically ask for it, as mentioned in the link above, the Father was not told about the promo when he entered.

I get why you're trying to defend the blog post now, even by posting information that's completely irrelevant to what the blog post is about.

If I was given a first draft copy of the blog post to review, I'd probably feel the need to try to defend it too, no matter how stupid the blog post was. But then, I doubt I'd be friends enough in the first place with someone who'd post that kind of childish and entitled rant.

Crazy4DL
03-18-2009, 05:57 PM
If I was given a first draft copy of the blog post to review, I'd probably feel the need to try to defend it too, no matter how stupid the blog post was. But then, I

Not that it matters really, but I am lost. :confused:

cstephens
03-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Not that it matters really, but I am lost. :confused:

Darkbeer was sent a draft of the blog post to review for "factual information", whatever that means. Given all the problems with the post itself, and the misinformation by omission, I understand even better now why Darkbeer feels the need to defend it.