PDA

View Full Version : Best time to go least crowded

happy1234
12-23-2002, 05:32 PM
Hi we want to go to Dsneyland either March.8 to May21. 2003
We went last year May25 to 28. I could not believe how crowded it was we missed a lot. I had not been there since 10 years before and I never remeber lines like that. So we want to go again with the kids again. Anyone that can tell us which date is the least crowded.
Thankss so much.

Cloudcroft
12-23-2002, 06:01 PM
Happy,

We have been to DL several times in March and May and I would recommend May over March. The crowds are sparse in March, but the weather is likely to be cool and rainy. Also many of the rides and attractions are likely to be closed for refurbishment, getting ready for the summer season. And the park will be open shorter hours, offsetting some of the benefits of fewer people.

If you go in early to mid May, you will avoid the big crowds that hit DL from Memorial Day on through the summer. The weather is usually great in May, and the park will be open longer hours, more of the restaurants will be open and the rides should all be up and running. I would also advise going no later than a full week before Memorial Day.

This year in particular will not be a good one to go in March, because the Rivers of America will be undergoing its 10 year refurbishment until mid or late March, with all the attractions that depend on ROA closed.

I say go in May when you are going to need sunscreen instead of an umbrella.

julia
12-24-2002, 09:35 AM
Hi!

The best way to know the least crowded times at Disneyland (and all of Disney) is to watch the schedules of the schools. When kids are in school, the parks tend to be less crowded and there are often some great deals on packages and prices. January and February are probably the best months for the smallest crowds, the late spring is good (after spring break time and before schools release for summer vacation). The fall months are excellent, too, from after Labor Day through mid-December except for Thanksgiving Week. Weekdays are less crowded than weekends, too.

So, in answer to your question, I would suggest May over March, too!

Have a great day!
Julia

ldsguy
12-25-2002, 08:24 PM
If you are going for only one day, I would reccomend Wed. when school is in session, if you are going multiple days, the three I would recomend covering are Tues, Wed and Thur.

JLKirscher
12-27-2002, 12:30 PM
I have been in October and I agree that a Wednesday is an excellent time to go. My cousin and I went and rode all of the major rides in Adventureland, Frontierland, New Orleans Square and Critter Country within the first 2 1/2 hours in the park.

Tatertotsmommie
12-29-2002, 08:56 PM
I just went through the March vs. May dilemma also. Last year, my seven year old and I went to DLR from May 14-18 (Tuesday through Friday). The weather was beautiful, and the crowds were very light. All of our other Disneyland trips have been in the dead middle of summer, so this was our most enjoyable trip ever. The longest line we waited in was 20 minutes, and average wait time was about 5-10 minutes, if that. We had become accostomed to 45 minute or longer waits, so it was such a treat for us. Never again will I go in June, July, or August. He did have to miss school to go, but we planned enough in advance that he didn't fall behind.

This year, we are planning to go from March 14-20th. I would love to go in May again, but because I am in nursing school now, I have to go during spring break. If I wait until the semester is over, it will be almost June and the nightmare crowds will be abound. I did check the Anaheim School District website and found that their spring break comes later, so hopefully the crowds will not be that bad (Anything's better than summer and Christmas, I think). We may not have as much luck with the weather, but we can stand a little rain!

Good luck!

HBTiggerFan
12-29-2002, 09:23 PM
Following the school schedules isn't very accurate anymore IMHO.

With year-round schools having different schedules that have some kids off track at most points throughout the year, and different districts and sometimes schools within the district have their breaks during different weeks, depending on when the local schools are on break is a difficult way to plan your vacation for the least crowded times.

ldsguy
12-29-2002, 10:27 PM
It still works to some degree, not as much as ity used to, but not your local schools, look at Anahiem's local schools.

HBTiggerFan
12-29-2002, 10:50 PM
actually look at all the surrounding cities (basically all of Orange County) schools too, not just the Anaheim schools.