PDA

View Full Version : Al makes a good point about "Stitch" Mountain

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
12-23-2002, 04:26 PM
If you have read the newest article over at MiceAge.com, Al talks about Space Mountain and the replacement of the track. In the article, he mentions that the current favored enhancement to the attraction is a Stitch overlay.

But the problem is, they are adding something that appeals to little kids, many of which will not be allowed to ride due to the height restrictions...

A good example is over at the new Flik's Fun Fair, where many little kids are disappointed when they can't ride the bumper cars due to the height restrictions. Heck, why did they put a height restrictive ride in the kids area. Heck, the Autopia has no restriction, except to drive alone. Too bad they couldn't find a way to offer the same type of option on the bumper cars....

So, should they add Stitch to Space Mountain, or should they find another more adult theme to enhance Space Mountain?

Sailor Butterfly
12-24-2002, 02:07 AM
The larger point, as Al states, is that they should be doing MORE for the 50th than just rebuilding and rethemeing one ride. You'd think that the 50th anniversary of the park opening just snuck up on them in the middle of the night. As far as a Stitch theme goes, it could work if it's properly executed. Stitch is from outer space, after all. ("I hear the surfing's choice!") And it'd be a shame to not have a themed ride for one of the most successful animated movies they've had in a while. Now if only they'd build that Monsters Inc. door chase ride...

stinkerbell
12-24-2002, 05:49 AM
Good God, no!

I think the whole Stitch thing is tacky! Don't do that to my beloved Space Mountain!!! I would rather die than submit myself to a Stitch theme on Space Mountain. Do it somewhere else, if you have to do a Stitch theme at all. :rolleyes:

The thought of it seriously creeps me out!!!

By the time the overlay would be done, Stitch's novelty will have worn off anyway.

I don't think every ride or even most rides or even many rides need to have a movie theme attached to them. It's short-sighted.

Now I'm depressed. :(

Hydroman
12-24-2002, 06:50 AM
By the time the overlay would be done, Stitch's novelty will have worn off anyway.

Which ges me thinking .... should WDI develop the technology that makes ride theming interchangable? Think about it ... instead of the "new" Space Mountain having "permanent" theming, set it up so that when the next big space-oriented movie comes out, it can be quickly re-themed to the new movie. just a thought ....

RStar
12-24-2002, 07:33 AM
Space Mt. is 30 something years old. Do tou think we would want a Stitch Mt. 30 something years from now? I doubt it.

But Stitch appeals to more than kids. But it would be tacky. I wish they would do the Jules Vern theme from Paris. It would fit our T.Land better.

Come one Disney, pump some real money into the flagship of the company. When the chips are down, DL is what keeps the company going!!!! When you cheepen DL, you cheepen the brand!

:(

MonorailMan
12-24-2002, 08:38 AM
"Don't be cheepen, Disney!" :D

I also think that the Idea of Stitch Mountain is tacky. I say, keep it the same, but redo the line video. Can someone say, "Saved by the bell"? :D

Doodle Duck
12-24-2002, 09:42 AM
Since I never saw that UGLY little creep 'Stitch' on the screen I doub't if I want to sit through a formerly GREAT ride and listen to that creepy voice which evidently is suffering from a SERIOUS Gas Bubble in the actors throat. Sorry 'Stitch' fans...thumbs WAY down.
WAY WAY down.
A Freakin' Luau shop at the end of the ride? PUH-LEEZE!

golfgreg74
12-24-2002, 11:34 AM
They need to gut it and replace. Space Mountain is already an adult oriented ride, and as much as I love Lilo & Stitch, why disappoint so many little kids? Disney, again, is more concerned with the bottom line then with what is really in the best interest of the park.

Sad. :crying:

DisneyFan25863
12-24-2002, 05:02 PM
I would hate a Lilo + Stitch themed SM! And I'm sure the kids who are too small would hate it also!

BJW
12-24-2002, 05:36 PM
Whether they do the overlay or not, they really need to use the idea of combining the Rocket Rods track with Space Mountain. This would really be the best thing for the ride because it would be like combining two tomorrowland attractions together into one ride! However, it may be appropriate to change the name or theme of the attraction altogether. I know a Stitch makeover would make the younger kids sad because they can't ride it, but they could always look to it as a goal of riding it someday, sort of like Splash Mountain with the cartoonish image. It will give the kids something to look forward to.

Tref
12-25-2002, 12:28 PM
Ahh, I shudder at the thought of a Lilo & Stitch Space Mountain. Awful. Es ist nicht so gut! Ahh! (cough). Awful (cough). Need-less. (cough cough).
I needs me a glass of (cough) water. Somebody with the water and the drinking. A glass (cough) ...

{drinks cool refreshing water}

That's better.

(cough)

Damn!

I remain,

Morrigoon
12-25-2002, 01:08 PM
Better, I think, to do a Stitch-themed version of Buzz's Space Ranger Spin. Why not put that where Circlevision was?

Don't mess w/my SM!

tabacco
12-25-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by DoodleDuck(A.E)
Since I never saw that UGLY little creep 'Stitch' on the screen I doub't if I want to sit through a formerly GREAT ride and listen to that creepy voice which evidently is suffering from a SERIOUS Gas Bubble in the actors throat. Sorry 'Stitch' fans...thumbs WAY down.
WAY WAY down.
A Freakin' Luau shop at the end of the ride? PUH-LEEZE!

If you've never seen Lilo and Stitch, how do you know you hate it?

Doodle Duck
12-26-2002, 05:04 PM
I've never been to the Moon but I know I wouldn't care to live on it.
Oh...and maybe...just maybe I've seen ENOUGH lengthy scenes and clips and trailers to make a judgement...that he is an 'ugly little creep'...not 'hate' him, just not care to accept him as a character along side say, Tigger...Mickey and Thumper.

IMO of course.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-27-2002, 12:34 PM
Better, I think, to do a Stitch-themed version of Buzz's Space Ranger Spin. Why not put that where Circlevision was?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo!!!!!!!!!!!

Better to leave CircleVision permanently dark, than to put Buzz in its place, much less put Buzz with a Stitch-overlay in its place!!!!!

What CircleVision needs is what I've said all along: rotating shows (morning and afternoon/evening shows on days when DL is open for more than 8 hours; one show all day when it isn't) of every CV film ever produced (AtB, AJ, WoC, OC, TK, whatever else may exist). Epcot's CV theatres continue to draw plenty of people, and TK does plenty of business when it's open; the only reason why ours ever closed was because that idiotic fiasco called "Rocket Rods" used it as a queueing area.

Where Buzz (and I do mean Buzz, not some stitch-themed-makeover of it) ought to go is the old Flight to the Moon/Mission to Mars building, and the old Space Mountain kitchen (anybody remember the old food service counter at SM? When the Magic Eye Theatre replaced the Space Mountain Stage, they no longer had enough foot traffic in the area to justify keeping it open, and the kitchen (and dining areas) have been dead space ever since (except that the service counter area has become the SM FP area, and part of the dining area is now the new SM entrance)

As to Lilo and Stitch, I really have little inclination to see the picture, either. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot about it that appeals to me (and the whole Elvis thing repels me, as I resent the tremendous outpouring of grief that's been ongoing since that two-bit rocker drank-and-drugged himself to death. Why was it that Elvis got such a huge outpouring of grief, while Groucho, who died the same week, and was a true genius [not to mention a better singer] hardly rated a whimper?).

Disneyfreak
12-27-2002, 05:50 PM
Look, Disneyland's management is corrupt. I am so mad that Walt Disney World is getting all of the money and we are getting a dime in a bucket. When time reaches to build a new ride, the Disneyland management craps on the park and the fans. I dont know why they have to change an allready successful attraction that is the only reason teens ever cared for Disneyland. I should know im a teen who has to deal with them all the time. The first thing a teen wants to do at Disneyland is ride Space Mountain and worry about the other rides later. If they get rid of the Space Mountain theme, tomorrowland will be a ghost town. If they change sm to stitch I will loose what respect I have for the Disneyland management.:crying:
Im 16 and im going to change all of this one day. I am going to be in a high position working there controlling all of these stupid ideas. I know what works at this park and im getting sick of all these movie rides. I want a ride all from scratch made from the imagineers. Hopefully this erea of imagineers and managers will retire soon, and high quality attractions will return.:~)

Kuzcotopia
12-27-2002, 10:35 PM
Well, :-P to all the people who hate Stitch without seeing it.

(IMHO, best Disney film since the first Toy Story. Best feature animation film since Lion King. Has quite a lot in common with Dumbo, if you ask me.)

But Stitch mountain? No.

I'd like a stitch dark-ride that took you on the peoplemover track!

Hey Disney!!!! Let's ADD to the Tomorrowland Attraction mix, doofuses! There's only 4 rides in the land, let's make it 5 at LEAST!

Space Mountain is FINE (get the music working).

Fix something that's broken for a change!

Kuzcotopia
12-27-2002, 10:37 PM
James,

Haven't you heard?

They dubbed over all the elvis tunes with Lydia the Tattooed lady and Hooray for Captain Spalding.

You should see Lilo and Stitch now, with an open and willing heart.

;-)

screamin4ever
12-28-2002, 09:45 PM
Lilo and Stitch is one of the most disturbing and un-Disney movies I have seen in a long time. I own the DVD. I have watched it many times and blah. I can't even begin to understand how this is such a great movie. OBVIOUSLY I don't like seeing Stitch anywhere, least of all Space Mountain.

Yikes!

For those that haven't seen it, Stitch is a genetic space alien experiment and a killing machine who hates everything and wants to destroy and kill everything except a strong-willed brat from a broken (a.k.a. dysfuntional) home set in Hawaii? Oh, and the social worker is a cross between Men in Black and WWF and his name is Bubbles. OOh. OOh and we are all cute creatures in some kind of galactic wildlife sanctuary. AND the bad guy has a Russian accent!!!!!!! What the? Was this another brainstorm from Aspen? If I could take my DVD back for a refund I would. Better yet, I hope Pixar gets out of their contract with Disney and Disney tanks just long enough to get a clue! I would rather see formulaic retreads than Hip and Edgy cartoons.

Of course this is all my opinion and rant and doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone else in the universe genetically modified or otherwise.

If you love the movie great. But please don't ruin Space Mountain.

And no amount of hate mail will convince me this movie is good. So if my post disturbs you, move on. It made me feel better.

HTHBellcaptain
12-28-2002, 09:54 PM
I love "Lilo and Stitch." I think it could make a great original attraction, but I hope they don't merge Space Mountain and Stitch together. Space Mountain is a classic Disney attraction and should stand on it's own. It would be like trying to blend Peter Pan with Pirates of the Caribbean. Even though they have similiar themes, in my humble opinion, I do not think they blend well together.

Kuzcotopia
12-28-2002, 09:58 PM
Screamin4Ever,

You couldn't have retold that story more beautifully...

It made me cry. *sob*.... it's just so beautiful!!

It's a great film, with quite a lot of heart.

I guess you could similarly describe Snow White as being about a girl who is nearly murdered by her jealous stepmother. She runs away and starts shacking up with seven men. She is finally murdered by her stepmother, who is chased by the seven boyfriends and killed. Her seven boyfriends keep Snow white's corpse on a table, covered with glass, so they can watch it decompose. Then a prince who is into necrophelia kisses her, and she awakens, and leaves her seven men.

It's just so magical!!!

JeffG
12-29-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by screamin4ever
Lilo and Stitch is one of the most disturbing and un-Disney movies I have seen in a long time. I own the DVD. I have watched it many times and blah. I can't even begin to understand how this is such a great movie.

You dislike the movie that much but have watched it many times? That seems rather silly...

-Jeff

stinkerbell
12-29-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia

I guess you could similarly describe Snow White as being about a girl who is nearly murdered by her jealous stepmother. She runs away and starts shacking up with seven men. She is finally murdered by her stepmother, who is chased by the seven boyfriends and killed. Her seven boyfriends keep Snow white's corpse on a table, covered with glass, so they can watch it decompose. Then a prince who is into necrophelia kisses her, and she awakens, and leaves her seven men.

It's just so magical!!!

I'd rather watch the movie described above than Lilo and Stitch again. Sorry! :eek:

I gave it a shot. Saw it twice in the theater, bought the DVD as soon as it came out, bought my kids some of the toys......and well, the movie did NOT do for me what it did for other people. I TRIED folks, but I just don't see Stitch as remotely cute or likeable. Just annoying as heck. And I have three little girls and I usually fall in love with whatever little thing they're into and none of us fell in love with Lilo and Stitch.

I think the L&S merchandise has been tacky and I don't relish EVER seeing a L&S attraction at Disneyland. Much less a ride I've loved and look forward to riding each and every visit since I was six years old. Don't touch Space Mountain, Stitch. There will be a fight!!!!

:~) There. I, too, feel better. :D

Kuzcotopia
12-29-2002, 10:10 PM
Stitch is the Aragorn of space aliens. He looks all dangerous and beaten up, but underneath that, he's all hotness.

Especially when he sticks his tongue in his nose to lick the snot. HOT!

stinkerbell
12-29-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia
Stitch is the Aragorn of space aliens. He looks all dangerous and beaten up, but underneath that, he's all hotness.

Especially when he sticks his tongue in his nose to lick the snot. HOT! Suddenly.....I'm finding Aragorn resistible......:(

Thanks for the laugh!!!!! :D :D I just reverse-snorted some Pepsi!!! I'm also quite hot! :D