PDA

View Full Version : DL New Year's 2003 merchandise

cstephens
12-23-2002, 11:38 AM
For anyone who's into this, they've released the new merchandise for New Year's 2003, including t-shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, buttons and other things. Yesterday (Sunday) at least, they were in the Gag Factory store in Toontown. At some point, maybe they'll move the stuff to the Emporium.

I'm not that crazy about this year's design, so this is the first time since 1998 that I haven't bought a t-shirt and/or sweatshirt. If I end up finding this merchandise on discount at a character warehouse, I'll probably pick it up there, but it's not like I'm in need of more Disney apparel.

If you're interested in what the merchandise looks like, here's a link to the pin that was released which has the logo style: http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=17926&sid=4294.1040625077.

RStar
12-23-2002, 02:17 PM
I am not an artist, so I couldn't have done better myself. But couldn't they have come up with something better than that? Mickey doesn't even have a shirt on. Normally he is in a Tux.

Sad.

Not Afraid
12-23-2002, 02:47 PM
The pin in the link is cool. It evoks memories of the old and beautiful Disneyland Sign for me. Even better is the "red" pin seen here (http://www.dizpins.com/archives/2002december_3.htm) (about 3/4 of the way down the page). The last number spins so you can change the pin as the ball drops. What could be more exciting than that!;)

But, seriously, I do really like this year's designs. They have more flair than the ones from the past, IMHO. But I tend to really appreciate retro graphics - a la Tomorrowland Attraction Posters.

RStar
12-23-2002, 03:04 PM
I have to admit the red one is better. The "retro" look was the best feature of the pin. And I didn't think about the old sign when looking at the numbers on the pin.

Mostly, it's the green/teal color of the pin, and how Mickey shows up against it without any color to him. That's why without a shirt it looks funny.

I would buy the red one, but why are there two? I wonder which one we will get?

cstephens
12-23-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by RStar
I would buy the red one, but why are there two? I wonder which one we will get?

Do you mean which one you will personally buy or which one is available for sale at DLR? If the latter, both are currently for sale at the DLR. As for why there are two pins, one is about the transition of years and the other is about 2003 itself. And as far as pins are concerned, they often make more than one style of pin for a particular occasion. Such is the nature of the pin game.

RStar
12-24-2002, 07:49 AM
Yes, I meant which one would be sold at DLR. I figured the two pins were for two different things, or places. I've never seen two pins that look so similar sold at the parks (at least that I've noticed).

I didn't realize what the two pins stood for. Interesting.....

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check them out in person and see what I think. I have always picked up the new years pins in the past.

Not Afraid
12-24-2002, 08:08 AM
The huge Blue (less attractive one IMO) is a rack pin sold at DL. The Red on with the spinning 2/3 is a Limited Edition of 3500 also available at DL. Same pin stylistically, different approaches, editions, gadgets, size with the Red being a bit smaller.