PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Exit light on the right and straight on till annoying

stitcher
12-22-2002, 06:03 PM
I've heard that there are some exit lights in Peter Pan that are quite annoying and distracting. I wnat to hear your opinions on the matter.

ldsguy
12-22-2002, 06:14 PM
I've never notice them, and I am always looking for the exits, just because I like to try and figure out what they'd do if any given attraction broke down.

stitcher
12-22-2002, 06:16 PM
These "new" lights went up recently, are red and apparently CM's have been getting many concerns on the matter

ldsguy
12-22-2002, 07:01 PM
Hmm....I'll look the next time I go on, but my guess is it's a saftey issue thanks to our, oh, so wonderful theme park safety board here in California (They are messing everything up, their even supposedly stopping Disney from having attractions CMs walking the tacks of certain rides, requiring maintence only to walk the track.)

EandCDad
12-22-2002, 07:17 PM
We went on Friday and the exit signs are very noticeable on several rides but especially Peter Pan. It didn't bother me since that stuff isn't really anything I worry about, but if you have ridden that ride regularly, you will notice the difference.

MonorailMan
12-23-2002, 03:12 AM
Ahh, yes the big old fat red "EXIT" signs. Yes, I've seen them, and I do understand safety and all that, but do they have to be so bright!? They totally kill the theme.

Another one that gets to me are the ones on HM(H). I just can't wait until they have to put "NOT AN EXIT" on all the fake doors. :rolleyes:

stitcher
12-23-2002, 09:19 PM
How about splash mountain just before the last lift. The sign is now wooden with white letters, looks very good and can be seen well. Now they'll put a big red exit there and you'll be able to see it all the wasy from the Laughing Place

stinkerbell
12-24-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
I just can't wait until they have to put "NOT AN EXIT" on all the fake doors. :rolleyes:

:D That cracked me up!!!!

ldsguy
12-25-2002, 07:45 PM
I think the exit signs should at least be themed with the attraction and perhaps turned off when the ride is functioning normally, but come on automatically when there is any problem with the attraction.

SzczerbiakManiac
12-26-2002, 11:59 AM
ldsguy, I favor themeing<sp?> the signs to the ride, but it's my understanding that the Federal exit sign guidelines are very specific on the design. It's no coincidence that the look of exit signs in the US is consistent.

The problem with turning the signs off when the attraction is functioning normally is that not only would they have to come up with a system that "knew" when there was an emergency, Disney would have to get approval from OSHA (or whatever government department handles it) to implement it. (Good luck doing that!) And what if this Emergency Sensing Protocol failed? Might the same problem that took down the ride also take down the ESP? Do you know what Disney's liability would be on something like that?

There's also the concept that we (both guests & CMs) need to know how to get out before there is an emergency. That's why flight attendants tell you where the emergency exits are and ask you to locate your nearest two exits before the plane takes off, not after the plane has crashed.

I honestly don't understand why folks are getting their knickers in a twist over this. Yeah, I know it "detracts from the magic" :eek:, but if one concentrates on everything else and mentally discards the glowing EXIT sign, I think one can have just as magical an experience as before.

mousey_girl
12-26-2002, 12:47 PM
When did this sign first appear? We were there Dec 4-7 and never noticed it.

EandCDad
12-26-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by mousey_girl
When did this sign first appear? We were there Dec 4-7 and never noticed it.

Not sure when they first popped up, but we were there on the 20th and they were there. If they had been there when you were on the ride, you would have noticed them, they are hard to miss.

ldsguy
12-26-2002, 09:53 PM
the Federal exit sign guidelines are very specific on the design. It's no coincidence that the look of exit signs in the US is consistent.
Actually, they are not very consistent, the lettering style varies, the cases varies and the color varies as well. There are standard colors for the letting though, which would be: White, Green and Red, as for what the signs look like, it really shouldn't matter, but that's why I said that if there is any problem with the ride then the signs should automaticalyl turn on, meaning if even one car is having some problems that are reported turn them on, it's overkill, but it would account for the potential failures, also have an emergency switch that turns them on when the CMs see something going wrong. And can't be turned off until maintence decides it's safe.

stitcher
12-27-2002, 11:59 AM
The problem with turning the signs off when the attraction is functioning normally is that not only would they have to come up with a system that "knew" when there was an emergency,

Ever hear of Emergency Lighting!?
It wouldn't be much different

I honestly don't understand why folks are getting their knickers in a twist over this. Yeah, I know it "detracts from the magic" , but if one concentrates on everything else and mentally discards the glowing EXIT sign,

I think major part of this is the fact that they are RED. If they were Green , they would probably be less distracting, but just as noticeable.

And no there is not a specific form for EXIT signs, however as idsguy said there are rules which also include a minimum size for the lettering as well as limited colors, and I believe it has to be a block "style", not script.

As far as the signs being lit, they apparently have been there for some time, but have only been lit full time for a couple weeks.

And finally, though I know this is of no regard, think of the situation of Peter Pan. We are talking about boats flying 20 feet above the ground. The exit signs are above doors on the ground. In a sense they are but teasers to those riding.

ldsguy
12-29-2002, 11:16 AM
We are talking about boats flying 20 feet above the ground.
This actually poses and interesting question:
If there were an actual emergency and you are 20 feet above the ground, what good is going to do to know where the emergency exits are? How are you going to get to them?

I mean reality check time here for all this new safety stuff, at least have it make sense! I mean I understand the gates, I understand having exit sings near exits that one can reasonably assume that during an emergency someone could get to the exit without too muich difficulty, but at this rate they will have to put a fully lit exit sign in cave on POTC after leaving the treasure, this would defintiely affect the lighting through there, as there is none or very little right now. Aside from emergency lighting.

MonorailMan
12-29-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by ldsguy
This actually poses and interesting question:
If there were an actual emergency and you are 20 feet above the ground, what good is going to do to know where the emergency exits are? How are you going to get to them?

Quick, everyone shimmy down Big Ben, then run towards the hills, where the EXIT sign is!

stitcher
12-29-2002, 08:25 PM
Now we' re getting the picture!

Consider this as well. The locks on the lapbars are mechanical and are difficult to release yourself unless you are either really thin, really strong, or have someone much bigger in the seat with you. So it would be difficult to get out even if you could get to the EXIT.

Here's more! Imagine this....

Looks like that safari's gotten themselves in a sticky situation, however in the case of an emergency on this boat just follow that big EXIT sign behind them

or...

And now the moment you've all been waiting for(dramatic pause....) The Emergency EXIT! :D

ldsguy
12-29-2002, 10:10 PM
Or how about Indiana Jones, where you can not release the seat belt with out a cast member there, unless you are in the loading area.

My all time favorite though is the exit signs in the ceiling of the Hyperion, not too noticable unless you look up and are on the sides of the front few rows in Orchestera. It's not distracting, but who on earth is going to use those exits? Last time I checked superman is a fictional character.....I guess maybe there might be some scafolding that goes up that high, but not much if there is.

MonorailMan
12-30-2002, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by ldsguy

My all time favorite though is the exit signs in the ceiling of the Hyperion,

Thoes are used if the buliding blows over. :D :~D

ldsguy
12-30-2002, 09:36 AM
Thoes are used if the buliding blows over.
Ah....so that's why their there! LOL

Like I said, not really distracting, but just thought it was odd to have them there.....I mean, come on, let's make some sense here, as it's been pointed out, in an emergency we may now know where the emergency exits are, but have no way of getting to them, let's think....oops,. sorry, forgot that if this is the government getting into this, then they don't do that at all, if it's just Disney, well, then they need to get a brain again.

mousey_girl
02-02-2003, 01:18 PM
We saw the exit signs yesterday, very distracting. I also noticed new exit signs on all of the dark rides, not just Peter Pan. Some were a little better placed than others, but all were visible. The only ones I really object to are the ones on the doors where ride vehicles enter and exit the stage, it brings attention to the tracks.

tod
08-03-2003, 05:19 PM
I went on Peter Pan's Flight for the first time in years the other day, and when I saw the EXIT signs in the back of London and particularly when we dove into the Princess staked to the tree I was completely distracted.

Can anything be done about this violation of the atmosphere of the ride?

--T

Laffite
08-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Wow. Talk about a bump.

stitcher
08-04-2003, 12:56 AM
:fez: :fez: :fez:

It's Aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvve

It's nice to see someone resuscitate your dead threads every so often