PDA

View Full Version : are they still giving out dreams?

nursechrissy32
03-03-2009, 07:56 PM
And if not...what happens with the dream suite now?

Malcon10t
03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Probably something to do with Celebrations!

nursechrissy32
03-03-2009, 08:08 PM
so maybe there will be a celebration team?

ryanvalle
03-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering about that too. They say its an opportunity money cant buy, so how does one get to stay in it. I heard that they had leak problems during the rain, so maybe they closed it for now while they fix that, but hopefully, chances to stay in there once more open up.

If not, I hope they let people named ryan rent out the place...hehe :)

Darkbeer
03-03-2009, 08:20 PM
There are no more "Year of the Million Dreams" Promos, thank goodness.

The Disneyland Dream suite (and the Cinderella Suite at WDW) are now part of Guest (and Press) Relations, and mostly are used for Senior Disney Execs and Celebrities, but they can be booked for special promotions, such as a Disney Sponsor (say Nestle) that has a contest/sweepstakes that a major prize is a stay INSIDE the parks. Not too often in 2009, as far as I know, the vast majority is nobody, or someone like John Lassiter, who has already had multiple stays in 2009 at Disneyland.

ryanvalle
03-03-2009, 08:25 PM
There are no more "Year of the Million Dreams" Promos, thank goodness.

The Disneyland Dream suite (and the Cinderella Suite at WDW) are now part of Guest (and Press) Relations, and mostly are used for Senior Disney Execs and Celebrities, but they can be booked for special promotions, such as a Disney Sponsor (say Nestle) that has a contest/sweepstakes that a major prize is a stay INSIDE the parks. Not too often in 2009, as far as I know, the vast majority is nobody, or someone like John Lassiter, who has already had multiple stays in 2009 at Disneyland.

So ideally, its now as walt intended and a room for VIPs. Though I wouldn't call celebrities at disneyland as VIP (considering they are guests).

jcruise86
03-04-2009, 04:52 AM
So ideally, its now as walt intended and a room for VIPs. . .
I wonder if the IRS :eek: will consider taxing those executives and VIPs who use it. (The valuable gift bags given out at award shows and film festivals are supposed to be taxed.)

And, if so, I wonder what value is assigned for using the suite above Pirates?

Ohthatjeff
03-04-2009, 06:33 AM
And, if so, I wonder what value is assigned for using the suite above Pirates?

The cash value given for the suite during the YOMD was just under $600 each for the Suite and Castle prizes.

Darkbeer
03-04-2009, 07:14 AM
The cash value given for the suite during the YOMD was just under $600 each for the Suite and Castle prizes.

Which, IMHO, was WAY undervalued, a VIP Tour Guide for hours, a large meal for the entire group, free gifts, VIP Seating for parades and Fantasmic! and a LARGE Hotel Suite with 24 hour Concierge service...

How much would this cost at the Grand Californian (and in the parks)... THOUSANDS of dollars, IMHO the value should have been close to $3,000 if you looked at each part and priced it out.

But of course, if the prize is worth less than $600, than Disney is not required to issue a 1099 to the IRS. (But the winner should have listed at least the value Disney claimed on their tax return, even without a 1099 being issued).

olegc
03-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Which, IMHO, was WAY undervalued, a VIP Tour Guide for hours, a large meal for the entire group, free gifts, VIP Seating for parades and Fantasmic! and a LARGE Hotel Suite with 24 hour Concierge service...

How much would this cost at the Grand Californian (and in the parks)... THOUSANDS of dollars, IMHO the value should have been close to $3,000 if you looked at each part and priced it out.

But of course, if the prize is worth less than $600, than Disney is not required to issue a 1099 to the IRS. (But the winner should have listed at least the value Disney claimed on their tax return, even without a 1099 being issued).

don't forget the after-the-park-is-closed wandering around. I remember one guests pix on smugmug - where they were in robes in front of the castle with cups of hot chocolate. too funny - and can you put a value on that?

Darkbeer
03-04-2009, 07:28 AM
don't forget the after-the-park-is-closed wandering around. I remember one guests pix on smugmug - where they were in robes in front of the castle with cups of hot chocolate. too funny - and can you put a value on that?

Actually, no, but the IRS wouldn't count that as "financial gain".

I have been lucky enough to be in the parks many times before or after the parks are open to guests...

Heck, a few weeks ago, I got to spend an hour or so in the afternoon at Knott's when the park was closed due to rain for the entire day. But it has no value.

But how much is a meal for 6 at the Blue Bayou? That is value, and around $220 to $300 by itself, and Disney tries to claim the entire package is just under $600 (I think they said $596)

Last I checked, a VIP Tour Guide is $1,500 per hour at Disneyland by itself...

If I was an IRS auditor....

DisneylandDad
03-04-2009, 07:40 AM
If the prize values were really only about 600 which seems really low, since suites at the GCH or DLH can easily run upwards of 500 and well beyond depending on suite type. If DL wanted to make an easy 365k or more, that maybe they could use to keep on a few extra white suits or other guest service type CM's just rent out the dream suite for a grand or more a night. My guess is it would book every night all the time, regardless of the present economy.
I know I would pay a grand, once at least to allow my daughters the experience. It would need to be a very special event for us to justify it but it is simple economics 101 with a disney twist.
If people are honest, there is no way that probably 75% of the stuff Disney sells would warrant the prices they sell it for if it was not disney branded. We buy it anyway too so I am not harping just commenting so relax :cool:
If it were really Walt's original apartment or something like that I would not even suggest this but as it was built for a distinct purpose, I think disney should consider utilizing it rather than let it sit empty.
I'm sure this idea has been considered and suggested many times. I guess I just have had too much coffee this morning and I went on a little rant.

nursechrissy32
03-04-2009, 09:21 AM
well...I would hope that they continue to give it out as part of the new "what will you celebrate" campaign, and instead of a Dream Team, maybe a Celebrate team or something like that...I agree, it would not be nice to see that dreamed about spot sit there...when it could be used for something else...like maybe a gallery or something (hehe).

I admit that I was super happy for the waving, smiling family in the parade...but had a teeny tiny sense of the green monster peeking out....

Franz
03-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Oh, heaven! "actual value", as in what the fair market price of the Dream Suite experience? Heck, if it were $600, or even the $1,000/night mentioned above I'd make my reservations immediately. I'm not rich, and we're not currently planning any vacations since money is tight right now, but there is no way I would pass up that opportunity at that price.

Even at $1,500 (or even possibly $3,000) I'd find a way to book it for one night and then spend the rest of the trip in a cheap hotel nearby. It'd be interesting to see what the bidding would be like if they put something like that up on ebay.

Malcon10t
03-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Last I checked, a VIP Tour Guide is $1,500 per hour at Disneyland by itself...Your rate is a little steep there. It is more like $125 hr. I use the service now and again. For 6 hours (up to 10 people) it is $750. BT/DT

sandiegorob
03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Wow! Talk about beating a dead horse. Heck, I would have loved to have won the dream suite, I didn't. Oh well, glad there were people that did and enjoyed their experience.

Corregidore
03-05-2009, 01:42 PM
It certainly is in use....and it looks like the Lasseter family is taking full advantage! ;)

Here's a link to an article that takes about John and his family spending a lot of time in the park:

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al022409a.htm

~C

FolsomFan
03-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering about that too. They say its an opportunity money cant buy, so how does one get to stay in it. I heard that they had leak problems during the rain, so maybe they closed it for now while they fix that, but hopefully, chances to stay in there once more open up.

If not, I hope they let people named ryan rent out the place...hehe :)

I agree!

DisneylandDad
03-06-2009, 09:09 AM
That is awesome. John Lassiter is a pretty normal guy (as normal as a guy in his position can be anyway) from what I hear and have read. Since he has an apparent fondness of Disney that goes beyond his normal work requirements, and he and his family spend time in the park not just as a photo-op. I guess the qaurters are now being used for as close to what Walt intended them to be used for as they ever have. I forgot about the Disney exec's and gold pass holders who might use it.
I remember meeting Roy Jr (I know he was not really a Jr but I don't know his middle initial) when I was growing up in SoCal and went with my family back in the mid/late 70's. I was under 10 yo for sure but the experience was very cool, even to a kid my age.
My dad who was a senior exec for a large oil co had met Walt Disney several times in the very early days of DL. He was at a meeting where Roy came in and talked to the group. After the meeting my family as well as a few others went to dinner with Roy and he talked about Walt and his dad and the history of what was Disneyland and how it had morphed into what it was then and where he thought the park would go in the future.
Since my dad had met Walt Disney I had heard about his larger than life presence and how he truly dominated a room but how he also made any individual he talked to truly feel like an equal. Now I was hearing some of the same things my father had related to us about Walt Disney coming from his own relative and it took on a different meaning.
I had been going to Disneyland since I was an infant but it was that day that assured I would go there for the rest of my life. I have been to WDW and a few of the other parks outside the U.S. but Disneyland always feel like coming home. When we walk thru the gates and see the castle and hear the music playing, we all get a little bounce in our step that does not exist any other place.
So to answer the original poster, are they still giving out dreams?
Yes, it may or not be a contest but I know that for our family it really is a place that promotes dreams and wishes. I hope that it gives other people, young and young at heart the same type of feeling that inspires dreams of their own.

Franz
03-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Well said DisneylandDad. I heartily agree. Disneyland has always been (and hopefully always will be) in the business of giving out dreams!

I too am very thankful that in Mr Lassiter we seem to have someone in charge thow truly understands what the park is about. Although I'm jealous I don't get to stay in the suite, I am glad that someone in his position uses it often. I would think it will fare well for all of us that he keeps in direct contact with the guest experience.