PDA

View Full Version : Fewer Character sightings?

peng
03-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Have others notice a serious drop-off in character sitings. We were at DL on Friday and Sunday and were struck by how few characters we saw. The good news was that the DS got high fived by Mickey. With the exception of riding of floats in F!, the sum total of our character sitings were: Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy and Pooh. And in CA, only Manny.

Two years ago, my son got 23 autographs in the same time. Is it because the parades are cancelled because of the upgrades to Main Street?

mulansgirl
03-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I wasn't paying too much attention but I noticed Cruella and the fairie godmother in DL and Mr. Incredible at CA on Monday. I know there was a bunch of others due to the crowds on Main street, seemed like Mickey and the gang. But we rushed by them. I normally see about four characters normally mickey and co. at the very front of main street.
It might also have to do with pixie hollow and the Princess fantasy fair where you go specifically to meet and greet characters.

houseofmouse
03-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I feel this has been happening for years. When my sons were little there were characters everywhere!!
But now I feel it is Disneyland saving money. :(

Bytebear
03-05-2009, 03:49 PM
I see the same characters at the same places. They have a very strict schedule, it seems. I haven't been in a few weeks, so maybe they have cut back, but i think for me anyway, it's just dumb luck who I run into, but when i do see them, it's always at the same location and the same time of day. I do agree that the official meet and greets have reduced the number of free range characters.

june1st1997
03-05-2009, 06:02 PM
DD and I were at the park maybe 3 Sundays ago and saw both Belle & Snow White at the entrance of Tomorrowland at the hub. I have not seen free roaming princesses since Princess Fantasy Faire opened. Could this be due to story time and coronation being cut?

At the same time we also saw the Fairy Godmother.

You can always go to the information center or city hall and ask for a specific character's schedule. That's what we do.

olegc
03-06-2009, 07:35 AM
well, it seems most of the time characters are in "set" places.
Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore in Critter Country
Mickey and MInnie in their homes in Toon Town
Goofy, Donald, and Pluto at times roaming Toon Town
Pixies at Pixie Hollow
Fab Five in Town Square in the mornings, along with Chip and Dale, Alice, White Rabbit, Mad Hatter when the Disneyland Band comes to play.
Cruella De Ville sometimes at Firehouse on Main Street.
Buzz Lightyear in the mornings at the entrance of Little Green Men
JEssie and Woody, sometimes, at the Zocolo Park (small shaded area with stage right outside of Zocolo restaurant).
Mary Poppins and Burt in front of the castle during performances of their "band" and sometimes at the Carousel stationary horse.

these are at disneyland. at DCA
Princesses at Ariel's Grotto in DCA
sometimes Mickey and Minnie on vacation in Sunshine Plaza,
Flik/Atta in Bugs land
Sully, Mike in Hollywood (rare these days).

Now - most of those are most of year (from my recollection) and I think you have a better chance in the AM. As the crowds get bigger they put out a few more to get some balance of crowds. As soon at the BTBBQ opens again you will have another "set" place for Jessie and Woody. sometimes Chip and Dale.

The reality is that they want opportunity dollars for character interaction - so most of the time characters are in locations with photopass personnel. OR they expect during slow periods for you to see characters in parades (my opinion). you don't have to buy but you could. I just wonder if the BBQ will go the route of Goofy's kitchen or others in WDW - want a photo? it will cost you..