PDA

View Full Version : Stroller Etiquette

Pages : [1] 2

peng
03-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Having just returned from 3 great days after a 2 year break, I was struck by how many more very young children are being taken to the park and how many more strollers there are. Which brings me to a pet peeve (which I acknowledge will probably not make me very popular), the general lack of stroller etiquette. When I had stroller-riding children, I was always very conscious of how much room the stroller took up and tried not to block sidewalks or store aisles with my stroller. But at DLR, I was surprised at the number of strollers that people took right into the washrooms, actually parking three in a row and making it impossible to get into or out of the washroom. Or they were just massed together in the middle of tight walkway like through the Frontierland gate. And most surprisingly, the stroller problem seemed worse at night.

I understand that a stroller makes it easier to take very young (mostly non-paying) children with you, but it would be nice is the stroller pushers understood that a little courtesy would be appreciated -- like when you drive over someone's foot or run into their shin, maybe saying you were sorry.

mickey4ever
03-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I am one of those people with a stroller. Although I understand your frustration, I do have to say that when my daughter was younger I HAD to bring the stroller into the restroom. She is a special needs child, and was terrified of the changing tables. She would scream like someone was killing her. So, I would change her by a changing table, trying to be out of the way in her stroller. Our stroller is quit large, we call it the 4 wheel drive model. She is turning 4 this year on our trip to DL, and yes we will have the stroller, but she is potty trained and do not need to bring it in with us.

As for people running you over, I am sorry for that, and I usually apologize when I have hit someone, even if they dowalk right in front of me, knowing I was pushing a stroller. And then look at me as if I was in the wrong. I have two other children that I have to look after, and can not always make sure that people are not walking in front of the stroller, especially when they STOP!

I am also very consciensous of all the people around us. And try to be very considerate. I think Disney should have stroller lanes!

dsnyredhead
03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Stroller pushers, non-stroller pushers tend to be alike. Everyone is looking around at all the activity and at times not paying attention to what is going on around them and who is passing in front of their path.

I have hit a few walkers with my son's stroller early on but in those cases, the person without the stroller stopped abruptly in front of me. It happens all the time. My son is too big for a stroller now..but I remember well. It is not always easy to avoid hitting someone when they abruptly stop in front of you or walk right in front of you from the side. I'll admit, I've heard of people using strollers as a battering ram to get through the crowds and some will do that. I think both the stroller pushers and the general walkers all need to pay attention to what is going on around them and be courteous to the general public.

mickey4ever
03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
^^ I totaly agree. Thanks for making a better statement:)

Malcon10t
03-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Dsnyredhead says it best. I haven't used a stroller in 15 years, but can tell you that non-stroller walkers will step over strollers to get to Star Tours that half second faster. If the stroller pusher/wheelchair/ECV user leaves 6 inches behind the person in front of them, someone will decide that is enough space to fit them and their SO without regard to the distance or time it takes to stop a stroller/wheelchair/ECV. It isn't a pretty sight. So, when I hear people complain about strollers in general, I usually remember the adult male that tried to drag his GF/DW/SO over the top of a stroller to get to wherever they were headed so much faster. Its sad really.

jenniebean
03-04-2009, 01:37 PM
I have to agree with mickey4ever about the possibility of stroller lanes... I've had crowds post-fireworks shove me into the path of a stroller & I always feel so bad! Abrupt stops like that seem to occasionally result in things falling out of the stroller basket if it's stuffed, & then stressfulness trying to grab it from the ground without it being trampled. I think special stroller lanes after things like parades & fireworks could work pretty well if they leave up some of the ropes & then treat the flow of strollers like the parade route, where it's moving consistently, but every so often, stop it to let a chunk of people cross the "river." I dunno, luckily I'm pretty good about avoiding getting hit or getting in the way when I'm conscious of it thanks to passing periods in a huuuuge high school with too many rolling backpacks.

I always see strollers parked outside the train stations-- how does that work? If you've got a stroller & are taking the train from like, main street to toon town, do you just do without the stroller until you take the train back? I can't remember where it was (maybe Disney World?), but I vaguely remember some system that if you rented a stroller or a wheelchair, you took your nametag & then picked up a different one wherever you got off...

wwomant
03-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I always see strollers parked outside the train stations-- how does that work? If you've got a stroller & are taking the train from like, main street to toon town, do you just do without the stroller until you take the train back?

They might be taking the train to TT or FL, where it's pretty easy to get by without a stroller for a little while, or they maybe doing like we did, just taking the train round trip for the fun of the ride.

Second Star
03-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I think the problem is more society in general. I have run into people at the mall because they just stop in front of me to have a conversation with someone. Sometime just with themselves. :eek:

I think in general we have become desensitized to what is going on around us.

As far a strollers in the park, and having just come back from a week and Disney World, I do have to say that I think for some people with strollers - the device is more of a weapon than a device to transport child. :eek: :(

bantha09
03-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Lucky for me I have ninja like reflexes and stroller sixth sense from always having younger siblings push strollers and shopping carts but not having the ability to steer them.:D I am the stroller ninja!

Spacecadet
03-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Totally agree with Second Star; people seem less courteous in general these days regardless of whether they're stroller users or not. Sadly, people seem more impatient, less likely to admit blame, and seem incapable of using basic manners.

For the record though, I am a stroller user (when necessary - we do try to do without it in big crowds because it is a nuisance for everyone else) and I do sometimes run into people. But I always apologise and I do my best to avoid the dreaded shin collision but it's hard when people step out in front of you. Maybe we all need to have more regard for each other and try to be patient in crowds.

Bubble1421
03-05-2009, 01:22 PM
It goes both ways. I am pretty good at not running into people while pushing a stroller, but, there is always someone who isn't paying attention and will dead stop right in front of you. Strollers don't stop on a dime without jerking the kid around and possibly dumping stuff out. Disneyland is a crowded place so it is bound to happen. I do apologize if I happen to hit someone. A simple sorry from those who dead stop in front of a stroller would be nice too. I'm sure the kid in the stroller that made the sudden stop would appreciate that.

The one thing that really bothers me are those people that insist on pushing and shoving after the parade or fireworks. A few years ago, we were there for 4th of July which was a very crowded day. I had my 2 year old out of the stoller watching the fireworks. When they ended, people started going crazy. Someone actually fell into the stroller. We were off to the side right next to the fence and we weren't even moving when it happened (stroller brakes were still on). Had my daughter been in the stroller, she would have been smashed. The guy was pushing his way through the crowd and wasn't paying attention and tripped over the front wheel and fell right into the seat of the stroller. He then had the nerve to stand up and yell at me for having a stroller in the park. He kicked the front of the stroller and stormed off.

People have to remember that Disneyland is not for adults only. It is for kids of all ages including adults, teens, children, toddlers, and babies. Just because they are very young doesn't mean that they will enjoy the magic of Disneyland any less than an older child or an adult. What can be better to a 1 year old than to meet a character that they watch on tv every day or one that they have a doll of at home. The pure joy that the little ones experience at Disneyland is priceless.

mulansgirl
03-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Wow, he kicked the stroller like it was your fault. That just shocks me, people these days.
What also sucks is when the person just stops in front of you, you stop fast enough not to hit them, but the person behind you runs into you. Having a stroller or a wheelchair is hard. I used to have people stop in front of me all the time when I pushed my aunt in her wheelchair. This was years ago so really it is nothing new. And I did run into a few people on accident but I was very apologetic, normally it was because the wheelchair was going a bit too fast for me on a hill.
Sadly Disneyland heightens many peoples sence of entitlement and they forget everyone else around them that paid just a much to get in there and have a nice day.

The old man
03-05-2009, 02:13 PM
"I was struck by how many more very young children are being taken to the park..."
Where is the proof of this? More than when?

june1st1997
03-06-2009, 07:03 AM
But at DLR, I was surprised at the number of strollers that people took right into the washrooms, actually parking three in a row and making it impossible to get into or out of the washroom.

I understand that a stroller makes it easier to take very young (mostly non-paying) children with you.

When DD (3) and I go to the park alone I always take her stroller into the washroom (with her in it). I wait for the handicap stall and we go in there. She gets out, does her business and gets right back in. She gets out again to wash. It's easier for me to keep track of her that way. While I am a very courteous person, keeping track of my child trumps that. It will always be her safety 1st.

I'm curious why you felt it necessary to point out these children were "mostly non-paying".

bantha09
03-06-2009, 07:14 AM
I thought he pointed it out only to establish average age of children in strollers, but I could be wrong.

Koala Gurl
03-06-2009, 12:04 PM
I usually take my stroller into the bathroom too...but usually it is just me and my 2 and 3 year old. Much easier for all if I take the stroller in. I wish DL would put in a "family" bathroom with a big and little toilet.

illnevergrowup
03-07-2009, 09:32 AM
I agree completely that everyone has an opportunity to be inconsiderate; stroller users and non-stroller users alike. Everyone should be more conscientious regarding their surroundings and other people, no matter where they are. However, it does tend to add to the stroller madness when moms/dads are pushing strollers filled with stuff and making their children walk. I remember one specific incident this past Xmas season when we saw one 4-5 yr old little girl crying because she was tired and wanted to ride in the stroller, (which was filled with merchandise bags), and her mom told her that she needed to be a big girl and walk back to the hotel and then had her carry a very large back pack. As a grandmother of a 3 yr old, I can understand the need for a stroller, for the child to be rested and have the most fun. They get very tired having to walk everywhere. But I do think people should get a locker for their stuff rather than use the stroller as a suitcase/cooler/back pack on wheels. This doesn't mean I think the child should be in the stroller all the time, that they shouldn't be allowed to walk. And that the stroller can't be used for packing things if the child wants to walk. It just shouldn't be used that way if the child needs it.

jenniebean
03-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I remember one specific incident this past Xmas season when we saw one 4-5 yr old little girl crying because she was tired and wanted to ride in the stroller, (which was filled with merchandise bags)
This made me picture Disneyland filled with shopping carts & wonder if anyone has ever tried to pass one off as a stroller...

DizneyMommy
03-08-2009, 07:28 AM
You know, on the restroom subject - I for one take my 2 very young kids (one of whom does not yet walk) to DL by myself all the time. If I don't take the stroller into the restroom, just exactly how am I supposed to pee? :-) I've done it with one baby in the Bjorn in the past (in a MAJOR pinch) but I draw the line at holding the baby. Though I do try to choose my restroom accordingly, finding one with more space (like the lovely ginormous one at the parking garage - I could never make the turn in the one by City Hall), and if I ever was waiting and a wheelchair came in I'd let them go ahead of me, but seriously, at some point it's got to be Mommy' turn.
I just wish that the DL baby care center had a restroom like the DCA one does - one stop for the whole family.

DizneyMommy
03-08-2009, 07:29 AM
I usually take my stroller into the bathroom too...but usually it is just me and my 2 and 3 year old. Much easier for all if I take the stroller in. I wish DL would put in a "family" bathroom with a big and little toilet.

I KNOW - seriously, right? Like the awesome one our mall has. But there would be a mile long line all day long.

DizneyMommy
03-08-2009, 07:33 AM
I thought he pointed it out only to establish average age of children in strollers, but I could be wrong.

It sounded to me a little like he was suggesting that those "non-paying" children are making the park more crowded. Maybe I misunderstood, but it didn't sound very nice to me. Am I supposed to leave my one year old at home and only take my 4 year old simply because I paid for her? That's absurd.

cstephens
03-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I don't recall having an issue with people bringing strollers into the restroom. I think I kind of expect they will. The only problem is if they are parked side by side in the restroom so you can't get past them if you need to, but then, that same problem can occur with just people standing there.

Bolivar
03-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Some people just seem to have a general lack of awareness of other people. I see this all the time in the grocery store. Someone who has a cart in the middle of the aisle with no way for others to pass. You walk up and the person just stands there scanning the shelves for something. I don't think these people are trying to be rude. Almost always an, "Excuse me," gets an, "I'm sorry," and the cart pushed to the side. These people just didn't think about the blocked aisle or notice others trying to pass. But, running into blocked aisles over and over and having to constantly ask to be let by gets old and is annoying. While it is annoying and starts to feel like everyone is in your way, I think these people are the exception. Most people are aware of those around them, when they stop to look for something they push their cart to the side so others can get by and if they are in the way, they keep an eye out for others coming by so they can get out of the way if needed. But those exception people, the ones unaware of their affect on others seems to be on the rise and a relatively small number of them, creates havoc on a shopping trip -- or with strollers in DL.

So I am guessing that while those people are the exception, their numbers being on the rise is causing most of these issues.

fairestoneofall
03-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Some people just seem to have a general lack of awareness of other people. I see this all the time in the grocery store. Someone who has a cart in the middle of the aisle with no way for others to pass. You walk up and the person just stands there scanning the shelves for something. I don't think these people are trying to be rude. Almost always an, "Excuse me," gets an, "I'm sorry," and the cart pushed to the side. These people just didn't think about the blocked aisle or notice others trying to pass. But, running into blocked aisles over and over and having to constantly ask to be let by gets old and is annoying. While it is annoying and starts to feel like everyone is in your way, I think these people are the exception. Most people are aware of those around them, when they stop to look for something they push their cart to the side so others can get by and if they are in the way, they keep an eye out for others coming by so they can get out of the way if needed. But those exception people, the ones unaware of their affect on others seems to be on the rise and a relatively small number of them, creates havoc on a shopping trip -- or with strollers in DL.

So I am guessing that while those people are the exception, their numbers being on the rise is causing most of these issues.

I have to admit I'm a 'center isle hog'....intentionally and not. I have two little boys (2&3 years) that I have to try to keep from grabbing anything within their reach....not trying to keep others from getting around me.

Rockchalker
04-01-2009, 04:56 AM
This is just me, but I don't think I have ever taken a stroller into any bathroom. I am a germ freak when it comes to public bathrooms. I take as little as possible in as spend as little time as possible in there. I have to scrub my kids down, cannot even imagine having to scrub a stroller down. :eek: