PDA

View Full Version : Declining Janitorial Standards?

Pages : [1] 2

K & S
03-02-2009, 11:58 AM
We were at the Park yesterday and noticed many unkempt areas. Most notable was the inside waiting area for Mr Toad’s Wild Ride, there was trash all over. Empty Coke and water bottles, Cheetos bags, food wrappers, napkins and what appeared to be torn-up Fast Passes scattered around the floor. And in the corner a similar pile of trash which appeared to have been kicked out of the way, all in plain view of the CMs.

I also noticed the two bathrooms I used were in dire need of cleaning. I know it was quite busy, but obviously the large crowds were expected.

(On a more personal note, they have the changed toilet tissue and I swear you can read through the new brand.)

ryanvalle
03-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Possibly just an effect of larger crowds.

Weather was randomly beautiful yesterday , so im sure the crowd was larger than anticipated.

Tinkermommy
03-02-2009, 02:20 PM
My inclination is to suggest this thread be renamed "Declining Public Personal Responsibility Standards!"

I can't comprehend how ANY guest ANYWHERE thinks it's okay to toss their garbage on the ground for somebody else to collect. I get so disgusted returning to the car in the M&F structure late at night -- it often looks like half the crowd decided to clean out their cars, and throw even their non-Disneyland garbage on the ground. There are trash cans everywhere, in the parks and outside. There's no excuse for dropping trash on the ground.

Ditto for the bathroom. It's not hard to make sure your toilet flushes, that your seat cover goes down, and that you hit the bowl or the waste container. If people drop something, they can use a piece of toilet paper to pick it up and dispose of it properly. But so few do. And yeesh -- clean the seat if you hit it instead of the bowl! :eek: If guests would behave more appropriately, the cleaning crew probably wouldn't fall behind.

Malcon10t
03-02-2009, 02:21 PM
My inclination is to suggest this thread be renamed "Declining Public Personal Responsibility Standards!"I have to agree with you.

houseofmouse
03-02-2009, 02:40 PM
I totally agree with you.:) Women can be so messy. How do we get pee all over the toliet seat? Paper towels on the floor. Water all over the counter like a flipping river!! If you miss the trash, pick it up. Now the qualm I have is when it needs to be cleaned the staff is not around or do not come around as often as they really should. Yet, if we were less messy, then the need would diminish.

ryanvalle
03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
There are trash cans everywhere, in the parks and outside.

I heard that there is a trash can in disneyland for about every 20 steps a guest has to take. From my observations this may be true (not sure if its exactly 20 steps, but trash cans are EVERYWHERE).

K & S
03-02-2009, 03:03 PM
My inclination is to suggest this thread be renamed "Declining Public Personal Responsibility Standards!"

I can't comprehend how ANY guest ANYWHERE thinks it's okay to toss their garbage on the ground for somebody else to collect. I get so disgusted returning to the car in the M&F structure late at night -- it often looks like half the crowd decided to clean out their cars, and throw even their non-Disneyland garbage on the ground. There are trash cans everywhere, in the parks and outside. There's no excuse for dropping trash on the ground.

Ditto for the bathroom. It's not hard to make sure your toilet flushes, that your seat cover goes down, and that you hit the bowl or the waste container. If people drop something, they can use a piece of toilet paper to pick it up and dispose of it properly. But so few do. And yeesh -- clean the seat if you hit it instead of the bowl! :eek: If guests would behave more appropriately, the cleaning crew probably wouldn't fall behind.

I agree about the lack of personal responsibility, and sadly I don't see it improving anytime soon.

bananaman20
03-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Ya, people are definitely throwing all their garbage on the ground and also gum! People think its okay to stick their gum on handrails and lap bars on rides. If you are seen littering in DL, you should be kicked out. If there's a fine for littering on the highway, why shouldn't that apply to DL?

MouseVII
03-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Whatever happened to that "everybody picks up trash" that I heard about?
I heard that Walt Disney even picked up trash and put in a trash can if he saw it while walking through the park.

nbaum
03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I agree with PP. People leave trash everywhere. DH and I were actually discussing this when we left the park yesterday. Not just at DL, but at movie theaters as well. I don't get it.

Tinkermommy
03-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Women can be so messy. How do we get pee all over the toliet seat?

It's the squatters! :p At my daughter's elementary school, there was a framed poem in the female teachers' restroom that read:

If you sprinkle when you tinkle
be a sweetie, wipe the seatie.

Maybe Disneyland should put those signs behind the potties (to go with the hand-washing signs behind the sinks...LOL).

Malcon10t
03-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Whatever happened to that "everybody picks up trash" that I heard about?
I heard that Walt Disney even picked up trash and put in a trash can if he saw it while walking through the park.First, now with safety issues, they use pick up "sticks" or gloves. Not every CM will have this available to them. If a CM is manning a loading station, exit station, grouping station, they can't just walk away to pick up trash. Sometimes trash is in area making it difficult for CMs to get to while guests are there. It is sad people can't pick up after themselves.

ScroogeMcDuck
03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
While I agree that park visitors may be more litter prone than the past, its clear that the park's men in white (and women) are fewer.

This Sunday, at the "internal" entrace to Pirates (e.g. when entering the loading building, as opposed to entering the ropes), the trash can there was simply overflowing. It was full, it had trash piled on top of it, it had trash at the base that had fallen off the top, or out of the overstuffed recepticle doors. It was frankly appauling in its apperance. In 1997, there were people tripping over one another with brooms and pans. I rarely see them now. In fact, I see the fake men in white playing the cans more often than I actually see anyone sweeping up anymore. Walt has many quotes about doing it better, and maintaining a clean park. The park I see frequently (I and my kids are AP holders) is just dirty and not kept.

houseofmouse
03-03-2009, 06:22 AM
That's just gross. ^^^^^ I have seen this too but not since last summer.

ryanvalle
03-03-2009, 07:31 AM
overflowing trashcans are common in the parking structure...

Toocherie
03-03-2009, 10:18 AM
personally, after I wash and dry my hands in the ladies room I usually use the paper towel to swipe the sink area of any residual water I may have dripped--just takes a sec and leaves it nicer for the next guest. Nothing worse than walking up and having a lake between you and the sink.

Drince88
03-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Nothing worse than walking up and having a lake between you and the sink.
Actually, it's when you don't NOTICE the lake and lean against the counter just a bit and get a line of 'wet' across the leg of your pants. Happens at work ALL THE TIME and drives me crazy. (At least I'm tall enough that it is against my leg!)

Koala Gurl
03-03-2009, 10:49 AM

I couldn't agree more!!!

I even bring trash bags in my car since we usually accumulate trash in the stroller throughout the day, and there are usually no trash cans in the middle of the parking garage. (Oh, I wish there were more cans in the parking garage!!!)

peng
03-03-2009, 01:17 PM
On Sunday, we saw huge dust bunnies (like you would find behind the fridge) in the hallways of Space Mountain. It is sad to see the decline.

I also noticed many places in need of paint, particularly in Buzz Lightyear.

ryanvalle
03-03-2009, 01:42 PM
On Sunday, we saw huge dust bunnies (like you would find behind the fridge) in the hallways of Space Mountain. It is sad to see the decline.

I also noticed many places in need of paint, particularly in Buzz Lightyear.

Its non peak season so I'm sure that the paint is on their to-do list before the crowds start coming in for the summer. In fact, on my last visit last friday, I noticed the buzz sign which sits on the wall next to the queue was gone and the area it was on was re-painted.

SUNSHINE4565
03-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Maybe its the lack of respect from guests entering the park and thinking they can do whatever they want, and someone else will clean it up.

I'm not saying cast members are perfect but im saying how many times I have seen guest put their gum on the bridge in potc... or they drop something and just look at it on the floor.....sorry pet peeve

everyone needs to do their part

candles71
03-03-2009, 04:01 PM
everyone needs to do their part
APPLAUSE!!!! (unfortunately, the offenders, don't read these posts.) Of course I grew up with Woodsy Owl;). I have always been told about the large man I yelled at for littering when I was about 5. (He picked up his trash) Trash, cigarette butts (and yes I used to smoke), gum, whatever I am tired of seeing it everywhere.

RocketTom
03-03-2009, 04:46 PM
While I totally agree that people just need to practice some common courtesy and pick up after themselves, it does no good when the trash cans are full to overflowing. We saw a full/overflowing trash can in the queue for Jungle Cruise. Trash then was spread by people simply walking by. Normally I'd just say to use the next trash can, but in this case, there is no other can before you board the boat. (Same w/Pirates)

With a full park, you need a full staff. OK, so the weather was great, but I've seen this on "normal" weather days as well.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
03-03-2009, 09:08 PM
My wife and I always pick up after ourselves and we taught our kids to do the same. We are appalled at the messes we see when we're in "Our Park" as we call it. The worst is after fireworks and my wife an I just hang for a bit waiting for the crowds to lighten. The carnage that's there after all the people leave is disgusting and quite frankly embarrassing to my wife and I. We feel like apologizing to the cleanup crews for the messes that these inconsiderate people made.:(

CV12Pirate
03-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Trash on the ground does bug me. What really gets me is trash on the water. Seeing trash floating in the ROA or JC just looks so bad.