PDA

View Full Version : Free Stuff on Your Birthday?

Pages : [1] 2

Tisha
02-27-2009, 08:32 PM
After reading this post (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/free-stuff/895255) on FatWallet I have to wonder, has anyone ever tried this at Disneyland? I highly doubt you'd get anywhere here. Not that I'd ever be bold enough to try it! :eek:

Mrs Mouse
02-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Personally, I think it's pretty brazen to outright ask for free stuff simply because you're celebrating your birthday (or whatever occasion you happen to be celebrating). I wouldn't ask for a restaurant to comp my meal because I'm celebrating, so why should I expect Disney to do the same?

That being said, I do know that certain CMs will do this out of the blue to make a guest's day a little bit more magical. When DH and I were on our honeymoon in WDW we had this happen to us quite a few times. Every now and then we would have someone bring us a free desert or tell us that our popcorn, or what have you, was "Mickey's treat." We had the honeymoon buttons and occasionally wore the bride/groom ears but we didn't do this in order to gain free things - we did it simply because it was fun and the most we were expecting were some well wishes.

We didn't go into our trip expecting anything for free, and we certainly didn't ask for it, and that made it even more special and magical when we were surprised with something.

KarenW2
02-27-2009, 11:16 PM
I just read the article and couldn't believe how obnoxious this guy was! He went around the park TWICE??!! It's not enough that he's being really presumptious with this stuff, but then he turns into a racist!! Talking about which ethnic group he was able to score more things from, or not, unbelievable!!

It's unfortunate that this guy was able to make out like he did, it'll just encourage him to do it again.

Mrs Mouse
02-27-2009, 11:44 PM
It's not enough that he's being really presumptious with this stuff, but then he turns into a racist!! Talking about which ethnic group he was able to score more things from, or not, unbelievable!

Wow - I just scanned the first little bit of the link, got the gist of what the guy did and then stopped reading. I didn't even see the rest of this!

Talk about rude. It's really sad that some people feel the need to slump to these lows to make a trip to DL more enjoyable.

dlfansx4
02-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Wow...I wouldn't even try that. The only thing we have ever gotten free on our birthdays was the dozen tortillas in California Adventure (and the CM that scanned us into the park was the one that told us to be sure and stop by there and get them).

I guess I would just never be comfortable going around asking for free stuff.

Squeaky
02-28-2009, 08:26 AM
yikes, that guy really had a lot of nerve. I felt a little uncomfortable reading! I think my fave things I get on my birthday are the silly comments from the CMs. I love the Happy Birthday wishes! Once I was on the Teacups and they announced over the loud speaker that it was my birthday! Once my friend was serenaded by a CM in line for Aladdin the musical. It's her favorite memory at DL! Than kind of stuff is very special, but definitely not expected!! :D

Tisha
02-28-2009, 08:59 AM
I agree with all of you. This post was totally rude. It encourages people to get a birthday button and harass cast members for free stuff, even if it's not your birthday. I always see so many buttons at Disneyland that I would doubt there's any policy to give out stuff, but if there was it should be on sight of the button. Not rewarding people for *asking*.

However, it would be cool for the "What will you celebrate" promotion if certain locations were told to give something small for people celebrating. I've been on my birthday and love wearing the button and getting birthday greetings, but a little treat wouldn't hurt eaither. :)

bananaman20
02-28-2009, 09:31 AM
When DCA first opened, I was able to get a free stack of tortillas AND a free loaf of sourdough bread with my birthday button, but I never asked for these things. CMs always came up to me and gave them to me when they saw my button. I think that guy was very rude for asking all those CMs for free stuff. It adds to the magic if a CM comes up to me and wishes me Happy Birthday.

Burnt Toast
02-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Tacky. Tacky tacky tacky.

jenniebean
02-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm one of the biggest birthday divas I know & even I think this is waaaaay over the line! Especially taking stuff he didn't even seem to want, like the drumstick... Wonder if the girlfriend was embarrassed.

myron61090
03-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Ugh. I know some people are just fans of joking around and will occassionally ask the "do I get anything?" just to be cute; and to be honest, I don't really have a problem with that. Sometimes, people are just so happy over it being their birthday that they *may* blurt it out- but to think that this guy was doing this intentionally to get free stuff AND that he's actually encouraging people to do the same is just tacky.

For example, we went to Disneyland for my brother's birthday last January, and we got him the birthday button. While we were lining up for treats in the park, my sister ordered one of the treats and just mentioned "and its for him, cuz it's his birthday!", just playing a joke on why she would be the one paying for it. Lo and behold, the castmember just smiled and said something to the effect of "it's your birthday? well then, it's definitely on the house!"

We got the treat and it was yummy, AND free so that was cool, and it just so happened to be at the mention of my brother's birthday. We weren't expecting it to be free, and definitely didn't exploit that fact anywhere else! (except on the carrousel, and the teacups, where we asked the CM if s/he could greet him a happy birthday over the loudspeaker before our party of 8 burst out into song.)

disneylandgirl
03-02-2009, 08:59 AM
The worst thing I did on my birthday this year was ask for the "child's" straw... you know the really cool ones that change color. My two little sisters got them, and I asked for one. The CM said they are for kids, and I said "but it's my birthday..." and she gave me one. But those things are free anyway. It sure brought a smile to my face! LOL I'm such a dork. Later on at Hungry Bear, the CM there gave us all "I'm Celebrating" buttons and like 10 straws, just because. That was nice.

ryanvalle
03-02-2009, 12:59 PM
THEY HAVE COLOR CHANGING STRAWS?! ohh mannn...

disneylandgirl
03-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Yep! They are pink or blue, then change to purple when they get cold. So neat!!

MissDisney
03-02-2009, 01:21 PM
uggh that guy makes me mad!
It's PATHETIC!:mad:

jenniebean
03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
10 straws
whaaaat?! Now that's magical.

THEY HAVE COLOR CHANGING STRAWS?! ohh mannn...
I collect 'em ;) I pretty much only order kids meals at CS places, & I always make sure I get my color-change straw with it. I *might* carry one around in my purse most days & I *might* put it in my sippy cup from the "happiest birthday" celebration at the plaza at any & all parties on weekends.

ryanvalle
03-02-2009, 03:54 PM
whaaaat?! Now that's magical.

I collect 'em ;) I pretty much only order kids meals at CS places, & I always make sure I get my color-change straw with it. I *might* carry one around in my purse most days & I *might* put it in my sippy cup from the "happiest birthday" celebration at the plaza at any & all parties on weekends.

I am so getting a kids meal on my next visit :) haha

aznewsboy
03-02-2009, 08:16 PM
The way some people feel so "entitled" to free stuff really saddens me. I'll take advantage of advertised freebies but I would never do what that guy does. Tacky does sum it up well.

I'll admit I save the straws my kids get with their meals to bring home. I also save the Mickey head shape plates they have got in the past. My hubby shakes his head at me when I shove them in my backpack but my kids love those things at home later.

dlfansx4
03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I'll admit I save the straws my kids get with their meals to bring home. I also save the Mickey head shape plates they have got in the past. My hubby shakes his head at me when I shove them in my backpack but my kids love those things at home later.

I have brought home the Mickey head shape plates too. The kids love them. We also make sure not to waste any napkins. If we have any left over after a meal or snack, we bring them home with us and put them in the kid's lunches during the week. A nice little reminder of Disneyland :-)

DisneyFanKat
03-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Ugh. I know some people are just fans of joking around and will occassionally ask the "do I get anything?" just to be cute; and to be honest, I don't really have a problem with that. Sometimes, people are just so happy over it being their birthday that they *may* blurt it out- but to think that this guy was doing this intentionally to get free stuff AND that he's actually encouraging people to do the same is just tacky

I think this guy started out that way - just kinda joking with the "do I get anything" - the FIRST time. I can see how someone may say that - but not REALLY expect anything. Then when it worked, he took full on advantage of the situation and the CMs instead of just being thankful and surprised that it really happened. Ugh.

AZCardsGirl
03-07-2009, 02:08 PM
The guy's a doofus.

I wear the birthday pin only on my birthday and get a kick out of all the "Happy Birthday!" greetings I get. (Once as Mary Poppins was spinng by on the carousel she pointed at me, pointed to where I had my button and signed "I Heart You!" and blew me a kiss. Made my day.)

For my birthday in Sept this last year we ate in NOS and I got a pastry with a candle on it. Total surprise. I think the best things are the ones given from kindness not taken in some kind of a sting operation.

disneyperson
03-07-2009, 04:37 PM
The guy's a doofus.

"Doofus" wasn't the word that came to my mind. But since this a family board, it will have to do.

cookie7762
03-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Tis guy is an idiot. Diney offers those little details to make guests feel special and abuse of the situation will only eventually lead to them no longer offering buttons. I LOVE the buttons. Being a christmas baby I haven't got to wear one myself, but my boyfriend has and I swear I giggled every time he got wished a happy birthday... just cuz I was so giddy that so many people noticed!

ryanvalle
03-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Tis guy is an idiot. Diney offers those little details to make guests feel special and abuse of the situation will only eventually lead to them no longer offering buttons. I LOVE the buttons. Being a christmas baby I haven't got to wear one myself, but my boyfriend has and I swear I giggled every time he got wished a happy birthday... just cuz I was so giddy that so many people noticed!

haha, i remember when i went for my birthday and got a button a few years back. it was funny because once in a while, I would get greeted happy birthday and since i am used to hearing "have a good day" (or something similar), I sometimes responded "You too." lol

disneylandgirl
03-09-2009, 09:56 AM
My mom and I got "I"m celebrating" buttons on Saturday from a cast member, just because. We didn't even ask for them. Then at dinner at BB, the waitress brought a mousse dessert with a candle on top, she thought it was my birthday! I told her it wasn't, but she let us keep the mousse anyway. It was good! My favorite part was the Mickey sprinkles. :)