PDA

View Full Version : port orleans riverside, or french quarter...what would you choose and why?

Pages : [1] 2

nursechrissy32
02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
hi :)

Please share...

Thank you

danyoung
02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
I'll bet you'll get about 50/50 on that question, as it's a matter of personal taste. I'd gladly stay in either one, but if I had to make a choice I'd go with Riverside. I like the wide open spaces, the beautiful landscaping, the mansions setting on the bank of the Sassagoula River.

Niwel
02-23-2009, 01:59 PM
I've stayed at both: POR twice; POFQ once.

Both are very pretty hotels. I like the themeing at POR a little more (and that it has a sitdown restaurant).

Last October we walked from POFQ to POR for breakfast (you must order the stuffed french toast). It was very romantic.

We're going to WDW for Fall MA and will probably stay at POR.

Some people prefer POFQ because it is not as spread out as POR, and only has the one shuttle stop, vs. POR which, I believe, has 4.

MrsGrumpy
02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
We honeymooned at the French Quarter in '94 - LOVED it!

It was closed for renovation when we went back in '03-'04, so we stayed at the Riverside.

We liked POFQ so much more. We liked the theming and the rooms and the whole "feel" of the place.

Two big thumbs up for FQ!:)

CalgonTakeMeAway
02-24-2009, 10:15 AM
I prefer Riverside because it is more spread out, and for me, has a more relaxed feel. The French Quarter is very pretty, but (for me) it has more of a liveliness to it, and I am more in to relaxing. granted, I am sure many, many people find French Quarter relaxing, it's just that to me it has a lively jazz feel to it and Riverside a laid back sit along the bank of a river wiling the time away for me.

When we stay at Port Orleans Riverside, my family and I do enjoy taking a walk down to the French Quarter ~ it's a nice walk, very relaxing :) It's a nice way to experience the more upbeat feel of the French Quarter while staying in the more relaxed Riverside.

janell
02-24-2009, 01:59 PM
How are the busses? Is it easy to grab a bus or are there long waits? Any tips?

AnnieOkie
02-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I've stayed at both: POR twice; POFQ once.

Last October we walked from POFQ to POR for breakfast (you must order the stuffed french toast).

I was looking at wdinfo.com today and it stated that after 2/22, Boatwright's would not be serving breakfast. Hope they're wrong, breakfast was wonderful there!

TinaMouse
02-25-2009, 07:16 PM
I like POFQ for its size--smaller is better to me.....(but both are good!)

Second Star
02-26-2009, 02:48 PM
We just came back from Disney World and stayed at the POFQ. Personally I like the French Quarter. It's smaller and a little more personal. One thing I heard from several people on the buses that served both hotels is that the wait for buses at Riverside can often be lengthy. At the French Quarter we had one bus on one day that took about 45 minutes to arrive. The rest of the week I don't think we waited more than 20 minutes for a bus anywhere.

scoobydooby
02-27-2009, 01:58 PM
I have stayed at POFQ twice, both for 2 week visits and while I have not been inside any of the Riverside rooms I have spent a lot of time at that resort too and would personally choose that. My son (The Fish) rates the Riverside pool more and I liked it better too. The food court at Riverside is better organised, it has a restaurant, the shop is bigger and personally I think the grounds are beautiful. There are also surry bikes, boats for hire and carriage rides at Riverside. You can still access all this if staying at POFQ too. That said, DH prefers POFQ, I am very happy there and it is also lovely. I find the food court here deeply frustrating, not because of food quality really but because of slow service. Check in here has been great for us, rooms ok, better first time than second and the buses generally excellent. I definately think you get a better deal with the buses at POFQ. It adds about 10 minutes to each ride if they stop at Riverside and it appears randon (I guess it isn't really) but we never stressed about it. POFQ is also compact so even in the furthest out building you will feel close to everything unless you really are an utter sloth. Whichever resort you stay at the real bonus is that you can use the facilities of both, so two pools for example :) The Boat to DTD is great and the journey is shorter from POFQ.

cfrith
03-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Anyone else have thoughts on this subject?

Drince88
03-13-2009, 11:56 AM
I like French Quarter better because it's smaller. I like only having one bus stop, because I found if I get off the bus at night by myself, I don't like to get off at the auxilary stops in Riverside, because you have to walk through the parking lots - and I didn't like doing that late at night by myself. So even if I was closer to a different bus stop, I'd still get off at the main one at Riverside so I could walk through the middle of the resort and avoid a dark parking lot. That's just me being slightly paranoid/aware of my surroundings, though.

I also like the entertainment at the bar at French Quarter a little more, because the guy at Riverside tends to draw in quite a few kids, and when I want a relaxing adult drink, I don't want a lot of excited kids around. The bar at FQ didn't seem to have as many kids.

You can only get biegnet's at French Quarter, though, but make sure they're hot!

Hedzup
03-15-2009, 06:39 AM
We were just at FQ (Feb. 13-23/09) (2 adults- 2 kids 7 and 11)
It was great.
Pros - Buses. Clean rooms, quite resort, great surrounding, buses, pool, staff, buses, every room is an short walk. (We were in building 7. We could have picked a room closer to the lobby, but the resort is to nice not to walk a bit.) Our longest wait was under 1 mins...
Cons-I'm trying to think of something but having trouble.

Jodi
03-15-2009, 05:19 PM
We LOVED Riverside. It was so beautiful to wake up to such a serene place in the morning. WDW can put you on sensory overload sometimes, and I loved feeling so relaxed while at the resort.

We liked that there was a lively main pool for playing, and several "quiet pools" for relaxing.

Some people don't like how spread out it is, but we did because when we were there, the resort was filled to capacity, but did not feel crowded at all. It was so quiet, and we saw more lizards and frogs than people on most walks.

The only criticism that I can think of is that, depending on where your room is, the walk back at the end of the night can be tough. You've been on your feet for 15 hours, then been able to sit on the bus, having to walk 10 minutes from the bus stop to your room can be unpleasant.

Chattyaholic
03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
My Mom and I stayed March 8 - 15 at Port Orleans Riverside. We were in Oak Manor of "the mansions" and really loved it. The old Southern plantation feel is wonderful, the grounds were beautiful and we didn't have a very long walk to the food court or bus stop. We never waited more than 10-15 minutes for a bus and I only had to stand up twice during the entire week.

It is true that the restaurant, Boatwright's, no longer serves breakfast.

The only disappointing thing to me was that the "quiet pools" really are not quiet. I tried to enjoy relaxing and reading on one of the loungers one afternoon but there were several small children at one end and a rather large group of teenagers at the other end. So it was rather noisy that afternoon. Maybe another time would have been quiet, I don't know.

SchultzFamily
03-26-2009, 07:14 PM
We've never stayed at either (nor the CBR), but we have visited them all, eaten at them, walked the grounds, looked at the interior of the rooms, etc. When we made a ressie for a trip this month, we couldn't get the CSR, so we booked the POFQ...it is the only other moderate we would consider, but then CSR became available (we ended up cancelling the trip...the youngest son who wanted to go for his 21st birthday ended up going on a cruise with his friends instead). We just liked the layout, theme of the POFQ more than the POR (although we definitely think the POR has the best food court of all of the moderates). I doubt you can go wrong with either one.

My DH was very upset that Boatwright's closed for breakfast. We had a terrible meal for dinner there two years ago and would never go back for dinner, but he really wanted to try those sweet potato pancakes.

TinaMouse
03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh and they were SO good (sweet potato pancakes).

adkinsfamily
03-30-2009, 08:51 AM
We just recently were at WDW and took a bus from AK to PO-FQ to take a boat to DTD (I know, lots of modes of transportation). We have stayed at PO-R before and really liked it, but I have to say that I LOVED French Quarter. As soon as we stepped on the property, I told my husband that I would love to stay there. It has a wonderful "feeling" about it. The river, the pool, the grounds, and the building design is really beautiful. Riverside was nice too, just much more spread out. If you have the extra money, I would stay at French Quarter!!!:)

MrsGrumpy
03-31-2009, 07:44 PM
he really wanted to try those sweet potato pancakes.

Oh and they were SO good (sweet potato pancakes).
I never had the Boatwright's sweet potato pancakes, but I bought these (http://www.brucefoods.com/mystOre/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=10&idproduct=271) at Albertson's grocery store. OH. SO. YUMMY!!! :)

wishiwasthere
04-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Stayed at Riverside 4 times and French Quarters 2 times

At Riverside we love the look and feel of the grounds. It has that southern charm to it. I also like that to get to the main building you have to walk along the river so it makes it a very nice walk. The food court is on the bigger side. They also have entertainment certain nights of the week and he is family friendly. The pool is big and the slide is something the kids really enjoy. There are also quiet pools around the resort.

At French Quarter we really like the ambiance of the grounds. It's very romantic and in the evening it is perfect. It is much smaller so you don't have to worry about being far away from the main building. I didn't really see the river until we took the boat to DTD. They have entertainment here as well, but he more for adults than kids. He just plays music for you to enjoy, while they one at Riverside tells jokes and includes the audience. The food court is on the smaller side, but I never saw it at breakfast so I don't know how it is when it is crowded. The pool is really nice, especially at night.

The rooms are exactly the same just with different decor.

ScottC4746
04-02-2009, 03:52 AM
hi :)

Please share...

Thank you

I stayed in the 90's at both places and first choice is:
French Quarter, simply called Port Orleans back then. Did not seem so spread out you walk a mile for anything. Bus shuttle very handy.

Second Choice Riverside, called Dixie Landings in those days.
Too spread out. From the non mansion rooms you walk up an appetitie getting to the restaurants.

Overall, both properties are very nice to stay at.

lovdisney
04-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Hello,
I've stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter twice and Riverside x3. Both are lovely hotels but i prefer the surroundings of Riverside and enjoy the foodcourt and Boatwrights Restaurant.

Toocherie
04-13-2009, 04:03 PM
I never had the Boatwright's sweet potato pancakes, but I bought these (http://www.brucefoods.com/mystOre/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=10&idproduct=271) at Albertson's grocery store. OH. SO. YUMMY!!! :)

I bought those too and they ARE delish! I didn't even put syrup on them--they were slightly sweet already.

Toocherie
04-13-2009, 04:05 PM
We were just at FQ (Feb. 13-23/09) (2 adults- 2 kids 7 and 11)
It was great.
Pros - Buses. Clean rooms, quite resort, great surrounding, buses, pool, staff, buses, every room is an short walk. (We were in building 7. We could have picked a room closer to the lobby, but the resort is to nice not to walk a bit.) Our longest wait was under 1 mins...
Cons-I'm trying to think of something but having trouble.

I stayed one night at FQ before I moved to a DVC resort. I really like it a lot--my only complaint was that being alone I didn't want to stay on the ground floor--and the elevator was on the other side of the building away from the food court! Made it difficult trying to carry food up the stairs if you didn't want to eat in the food court! (a small complaint, I know!)

bighank66
04-29-2009, 05:48 AM
We stayed at POR two years ago and it was awesome. We were on the "backside" (away from the river) in Magnolia Terrace. There was a bus stop right there. So that wasn't an issue.
It was very quiet. No running people (kids) or large groups.
The pool and the theming were just superb, but of course, that is all personal preference.
We took the boat taxi down to DD and on the way back we stopped at POFQ--it just wasn't the same. I didn't feel that charm, but again, that's all a personal preference.
The restaurants were just like any other disney resort restaurants. They were working on one, but the other one was more than adequate for us.
Just the sight of those "old" mansions as you cross the foot bridge alone makes it worth it to me. I would go back again in a heartbeat if the prices were more in my budget.
(We have been staying at ASMo because we can say longer and I dont have to make the kids eat hot dogs :) )